Mantras and Psychobabble

Options
2»

Replies

• WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that uses the "b" word in reference to hills.

Hahaha. :D
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've done just about everything mentioned above. Songs, sayings, cussing, system check, life in general problem solving, psychobabble ...etc
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    "I tend to do out and back training runs and for me, mentally, it's all about making it to the turn around point. On my way out, I'm constantly doing math, counting down, in fractions and percentages how far I am to the turn around point. Things like "20% done, I only have to do that 4 more times."

I do this too. It's deadly on motivation. Unfortunately, streets are alphabetical where I run so I am constantly reminded what letter I am on both out and back. I try hard to put my head somewhere else.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My 9 mile run was the longest yet. I kept telling myself "no hope, keep running". Otherwise I kept trying to convince myself I was almost there.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    my dog is my running partner and I always include her in my pep talk for the hills, "cmon Raina, we got this" or when I am feeling the drag it's "skinny jeans" =D

I also do the ABC's to bring my breathing back on track: breathe in on "A B C D" and out on "EFG", etc.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love this! I'm constantly talking to my self. "It's nothing" "There is nothing" "No matter what" "It'll get done" There's a lot of cussing at myself at times too. Sometimes, I gotta remind myself to "focus" "stay in the moment". I do math sometimes too, but I lose the ability to count after mile 18. I like the "systems check" too. Sometimes when I think I feel like crap, I do a mental inventory of what exactly hurts, I usually figure out that it's nothing.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I usually repeat "do this for your *kitten*!" whenever I go out for a hilly run :laugh: Although deep down, I know it's to make me a better runner
  • annempg
    annempg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do arythmetics in my head (10% done, five more segments like this). It usually takes the pain off my mind.
    Otherwise, I tell myself "don't complain, be grateful" and I think about people I love who cannot run.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I lose the ability to do math after mile 1. I have learned to compute my turn around time before the run and write it down so I don't second guess myself.