What small changes have you made?

Options
I know we've probably all read those articles about making small changes and how they equal something big. So what have you done?
Personally I've switched from having cream or half and half in my coffee to drinking it black. I've started taking the stairs whenever I can.
A month ago I decided to stop eating processed foods and cut back on wheat and dairy.
I had been getting pretty physically ill after eating meals that were heavy on them so I thought maybe taking a break to see if it helped was needed. So far I haven't had any of the same issues.
I also decided to cut back on the booze. I'm a beer geek and apparently beer makes you fat.
Measuring servings sizes out.
Going to bed earlier
Drinking more water.

****. I'm becoming an HLB.

Replies

• notthatNaomi
    Options
    I drink only water. Maybe lemonade if I get really bored with water, but I make it myself with fresh lemons and honey.
    I've never drank coffee and very rarely drink alcohol so I'm lucky that I don't have to cut those calories out.
    I don't eat dairy. No allergies. It's more for ethical reasons, but I do eat meat/eggs which may not make sense to some. (I don't understand most vegetarians who don't eat meat but eat tons of dairy -factory dairy conditions are horrific). Anyway, I'm one of those grass fed/pasture raised people, but I try not to be an *kitten* about it. lol I get all my meat/eggs from a farm about 45 mins away.
    I don't count calories at all, but I do measure my food. ex. beef, I'll do 4 ozs and only 3 ozs chicken. That meat is freaking expensive!
    I try to avoid processed foods. Which means I have to cook 3 meals a day from scratch. So, I try to make 1 dish last 4 meals. I eat a lot of leftovers.
    I don't eat much/if any wheat. Again no intolerance here, but you know...carbs.
    Basically I eat eggs/meat/vegetables every day, not a lot of fruit, and try to get enough fat to keep me full.
    Typing this out really makes me sound like an HLB too. I also sound really Paleoish, but I don't like that label.

* I do eat things like lemon custard and brownies for breakfast - a lot* They're made with a ton of eggs/coconut oil/ coconut flour though so I consider those "healthy" enough for breakfast. It's the only time of day I eat anything with honey/sugar. I hate eating breakfast so this is about the only way I can make myself do it.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I started measuring fluids and weighing everything else -- portion control is my biggest "small" change. I also added some healthy fats in small amounts to almost every meal; I used never to feel satiated because I was just carbing it up with a little lean protein.

I guess another one is that I (almost) completely stopped eating pasta and potatoes. I'm not doing low-carb or anything but I seriously cannot control myself with those two items, so I just quit eating them except for special occasions. Oh, and I replaced bread with lower-cal options (flatbreads, light English muffins, whole-grain pita).
  • feelgoodnic
    feelgoodnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not a low carber either, but I stopped buying bread, pasta and potatoes because I feel like I can get a lot more bang for my calorie buck with other items. Plus if I have bread lying around the house I'll tend to snack on it.

Buying a scale and figuring out portions was a biggie for me. My mind was blown the first time I actually weighed porridge oats and saw what a portion was. I would have been eating triple that (with several spoons of sugar!) and not even realised. Ditto for things like pasta and rice.
  • bhnguyen82
    bhnguyen82 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My biggest change has been quitting coffee. For the past 13 years I couldn't start my day without a cup of Vietnamese coffee, made with sweetened condensed milk -- so that's 100 calories minimum right there every day. One day I made myself a really CRAP disgusting cup of coffee, barely had any sip of it-- and my day went along fine with no noticeable dip in energy. I figured I might as well try not drinking it for a few days-- I got a small headache for two days, and then I was done. Now I drink green tea (that kind with the toasted brown rice that we tend to get at sushi restaurants). It's far cheaper, and I don't experience that mid-morning crash-- and the sugary carby cravings that go with it!! :)

I love to eat out, and my bf and I now make a conscious effort to eat out only once a week. When we do, we fully enjoy it guilt-free, but also try to make decent choices.

And yes, portion control. I was kinda shocked at how many calories was in white rice, but also happy to see I can be just as satisfied with half a cup.
  • lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I bought a scale so I really know when I'm eating an ounce of cheese
    I try to limit my pasta and potato consumption to one or two times a week and try (and often fail) to practice good portion control (though sometimes I will eat a lighter lunch if I know there's pasta for dinner)
    I buy Ezekiel sprouted bread
    I try to limit crazy snacking when I'm out by going for a diet drink (I know, I know) or coffee instead of a crappy snack
    I bring my lunch to work (oh god washing out the tupperware!!!)
  • eraweir
    eraweir Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else who has said that reducing carbs has really worked for them. ESPECIALLY with all the mandated restaurants, it's helped me make the best of the worst choices - eating a sandwich open faced, getting the salad instead of fries, or fruit instead of breakfast potatoes, whatever...

I can't CUT carbs entirely, but it really does help me from losing it while on the road.
  • HeadMoveGOMI
    Options
    2 things for me:

stopping at one serving for everything, even if I *think* I'm still hungry. Most times, I'm not.

switching to real cream for my coffee. I know this sounds counter intuitive,but I'm a big believer in types of foods along with how much. Same amount of calories, but only 1 ingredient vs the frankenfood creamers.
  • brooke800
    brooke800 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have completely changed the times in which I eat. I used to not eat breakfast and sometimes didn't eat lunch. I now don't need a nighttime snack and I used to binge from dinner until bedtime. Although I FEEL so much better now, I haven't lost an ounce. Frustrating.

I have also cut back on diet soda. I used to drink 1 can a day and now I only have a few cans a week.

I cut out a lot of carbs, but still find my carb count high each day because I do consume carrots, etc. pretty regularly. I am trying to skip the snacks that are void of nutrition- pretzels, tortilla chips, etc. which I used to eat a lot of.

I try to eat protein at each meal. NEVER did that before!

All these changes sound great on paper but now I wish my body would get the memo and I could lose weight :)
  • eraweir
    eraweir Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just actually measured out servings of my dinner tonight - which I've never done before. A cup is actually WAY bigger than I thought it was. So, that's good!

(I made some Skinnytaste Crockpot Santa Fe Chicken today because it was waaaaay too hot to cook and I am SHOCKED by how much dinner I got to eat!)
  • spgebhart
    spgebhart Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I drink water all day instead of Diet Coke.

I've cut back on bread, pasta, taters, and alcohol.

I try to exercise everyday. I don't always do it though.
  • jessofcourse
    jessofcourse Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I never really grew up eating rice and I never particularly liked it. My SO (who I live with) loves rice and would eat it with most meals. I saw a recipe online for cauliflower rice and started making it. I just use a cheese-grater to grate the cauliflower and then divide it into portions and freeze. I defrost it and put it in a pan (no oil) and just cook it until it looks ready-ish (technical, I know). This probably isn't for people who like rice, but if you aren't too bothered, it is a good substitute.