New to Yoga

Options
dani_bee
dani_bee Posts: 45 Member
I'm a new yogi. I've done the beginner series on Yoga Glo and feel like I'm doing well. But just to make sure I'm taking a basics class at a studio by my house this weekend.

However I bought a Groupon for another studio near my work that offers hot yoga.

Is it okay to go and try hot yoga? Or should I build up a better base first? I wanted to go next week so I will have had the basics class by then.

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could go to the hot yoga class without a problem. Once you go to the basics class, you'll have an idea about how yoga feels for your body and what you are able to do.
  • nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think hot yoga is fine!

Be sure to bring a towel for your mat (or see if the studio has one you can rent). A hand towel. A water bottle. And clothes you don't mind getting sopping wet with sweat! You will slip on your mat if you don't cover it with a yoga towel (or even one from home that covers your mat).

I also suggest drinking at least 8 oz of water about an hour before you start your hot yoga class.

But everyone starts somewhere with yoga. I learned from "gym yoga". I didn't even go to a studio. Most hot yoga instructors have a lot more training than some of the people who initially taught me! Just make sure your toes are going in the same direction as your knee so you don't twist anything!