HELP I THINK I AM ACTUALLY ADDICTED TO FOOD!!!

Options
Hi,

My Name is Victoria, I am 5'8 and weigh 196lbs size 14/16.... I really want to loose weight but I cant cut down on eating... I have a problem with food... I eat when I am happy, I eat when I am sad, I eat when I am angry, I eat when I am relaxing, I am sure you get the picture.....

I can not stop myself!! I really do love food!!!

Problem is now I know I am over weight and I know I need to curb it in but I cant... I feel like a huge heffer and that makes me depressed and makes me want to eat, I feel like my legs are going to explode!!!

I have recently split up with my boyfriend but we still have to live together this is making me feel very fed up also... so I am eating...

I am "active", I have a gorgeous 22 month old chocolate lab that I walk every day... although it is more doodles than fast walking.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone give me some advice on how when things are happening around me I deal with it by NOT eating!!! It is affecting my whole life at the moment, it is making me so sad :(

Any advise will be greatly received!!!

Thanks in advance One Food Addict

Replies

• rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    sweet girl, it's so normal to emotionally eat. you are not a junkie, you are learning to comfort yourself and food is the only way you know how to deal with emotion. please get yourself to a professional counselor and start talking all this out. you deserve peace and freedom. shoot me a message if you need anything and i can help!
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi Victoria,

I am a food addict myself. Unlike other addictions, I have to eat, to live,,,,, so, its been a real challenge. I finally realized, I had to learn, from other people, how to replace bad choices with better choices. Is it perfect, no, but, I'm learning. Keep walking that beautiful lab and keep coming back to this site,,,,it is awesome.

Hang in there.
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Some words that help me and are my mantra "If it's not hunger, eating is not the cure."

I've found tools, inspiration, and a safe place to speak at OA meetings. Even if it's not right for you, checking it out might be worth a try. You sound like me a few years ago- desperate to figure out how to stop the eating cycle and not really understanding how.

May you have the strength to accept the things you cannot change, the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. Yvette
  • KadenSmile
    KadenSmile Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I totally get where you're coming from.... Food has become my vice, I eat when I have any emotion (good or bad), and eat when I'm not hungry, just hoping to fill this void in myself... I heard a great saying a while ago.. you have to, "eat to live, not live to eat". It's finding that balance, which I struggle with. I have this ongoing need to just keep my belly full, which makes it so I feel less...

Feel free to friend me, if you'd like to be a mutual support

Laura :)
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    http://www.shrinkyourself.com. You have to pay to use the program offered through this website, but it is fantastic! Far more affordable than regular counseling.
  • VictoriaAStone
    Options
    thank you all so much for your replies, its nice to know I am not on my own!! I have started to think I am a right fat greedy person who has no self control!! Yesterday I decided to take control so keep my fingers crossed I can work it! all of your advice has been great and I will do my upmost to remember it... Eat to live not live to eat.... if its not hunger pains then I am not hungry!
  • 614beedee
    614beedee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can give you any great advice, but I am addicted to food too...Maybe we can help each other?
  • HelenTheZ
    HelenTheZ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart! You are absolutely a worthy person who is entitled to good things. I have a philosophy: If I wouldn't say it to a friend about herself, I mustn't say it to me!

Love yourself unconditionally! You are lovable. I took 52 years to finally get that message, and it's very freeing!
  • VictoriaAStone
    Options
    We could try BeeDee, I generally do love food!!
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I also found the books of Geneen Roth helpful. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Geneen-Roth/e/B000APDO9O
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am a food addict, but in my past I have also been addicted to other substances. The best advice I can give is that you have to come to a knowing in your heart that this really will kill you if you let it. I am the same height/weight as you about...but people die all the time from unknown plauqes that break off and move to the brain or heart. People do not look at food with the same urgency as meth/alcohol/smoking/heroin...but I have had to shift my thinking toward putting it in the same catorgory. Because it effects your brain with the same addictive pleasure response.
  • lookatthosepipes
    Options
    Victoria I could have written this except i am 5'4 and 220 lbs. I know I am addicted to food. You are right It is so hard because we need food to live. We are bombared by food advertising. Yesturday I had been doing really well but when it came to the evening (my worst time) I was lookng in the bottom of a frozen yogurt container. I had eaten a whole liter. I will make you a deal...You don't quit trying and I won't quit trying.
  • kellyspring76
    kellyspring76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Victoria,

My heart and my support go out to you, luv. I'm a yo-yo dieter and I hate it. When I'm in the midst of a binge cycle it feels terrible and I keep telling myself that I have to get it under control. Lately I haven't been able to get there. I think, though, that the idea of being in more control might actually be the false assumption that's doing me in. If I figure out how to end my shaming cycle and enjoy life for real I'll definitely let you know. In the meantime - major virtual hugs! :heart:

*Kelly