Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Newbie :)

Hey guys,

I've been in the group awhile, but have just kind of taken back the weight loss/get healthy mentality. I've started reading the Rob Wolff book re: Paleo, and to say it's intriguing is an understatement. I'm just wondering what good macro settings would be for this kind of lifestyle? Do you worry about that so much? I know some folks don't even calorie count.

It seems like a lot to get started - hoping someone might be able to guide me a little. :)

Thanks, in advance!

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    i'm 40 protein / 40 fat / 20 carb but I still count calories :wink:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    I'm 20 protein / 65 fat / 15 carb (total 2400 cals/day) and also still count calories. Everyone is going to be different--it's going to depend on what works best for you,
  • grrl77
    grrl77 Posts: 108
    How do you know what to set your macros *for* though? I'm a pretty overweight gal (need to lose 100+) and I do Body Pump (weights class) at my gym 3x a week.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    A lot of people figure out their tdee and take 20% off of that number.
    It's possible to customise your MFP once you get that number.
    Another thing to think about if you are planning to jump in to this lifestyle,look into doing a whole 30.
    It's the best way to start and I'm sure lots of people would agree.
    Check out there website and see what you think
    http://whole9life.com/start/
    I'm currently doing my second one and I feel much better having cleaned things up
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    How do you know what to set your macros *for* though? I'm a pretty overweight gal (need to lose 100+) and I do Body Pump (weights class) at my gym 3x a week.

If you are 100 pounds over-weight you would likely benefit from a ketogenic version of Paleo. Carbs really do matter for those of use with metabolic syndrome. Do you struggle with hunger and sugar/carb cravings and depression/anxiety, just to name a few...? My settings were 75 fat, 20 protein, and 5 carb until just recently. I am experimenting with 70 fat, 20 protein, and 10 carb-I've been doing this a year and my health problems are mostly resolved. However, if excessive hunger and cravings return, I will reduce the carbs once again. More importantly, than total carbs, keep the sugar at 15 grams or so per day (yes, that means no fruit for awhile, except berries) and of course that can be increased later.

However, Paleo does NOT have to be low carb, as others will likely point out, but to help heal metabolic syndrome, a ketogenic lifestyle helps immensely and is very healthy. Lots of healthy fat will resolve a long list of health problems. That's my experience anyway.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

If you are 100 pounds over-weight you would likely benefit from a ketogenic version of Paleo. Carbs really do matter for those of use with metabolic syndrome. Do you struggle with hunger and sugar/carb cravings and depression/anxiety, just to name a few...? My settings were 75 fat, 20 protein, and 5 carb until just recently. I am experimenting with 70 fat, 20 protein, and 10 carb-I've been doing this a year and my health problems are mostly resolved. However, if excessive hunger and cravings return, I will reduce the carbs once again. More importantly, than total carbs, keep the sugar at 15 grams or so per day (yes, that means no fruit for awhile, except berries) and of course that can be increased later.

However, Paleo does NOT have to be low carb, as others will likely point out, but to help heal metabolic syndrome, a ketogenic lifestyle helps immensely and is very healthy. Lots of healthy fat will resolve a long list of health problems. That's my experience anyway.

This.

Mark Sisson (Primal Blueprint) recommends no more than 150g of carbs for anyone (100g-to 150g is maintenance), but 0-50 is considered Ketogenic, and 50-100 is considered the "weight loss sweet spot." These numbers can be a good starting point for goals, but everyone responds to carbs differently and has different needs.

One of the guys in the group here does best on something like 20g of carbs, and he's got a six pack and does some serious weight lifting, whereas one of the endurance runners here does better on the higher range, and I've found that I do best between 75 and 100g.

I recommend trying to get under 150g to start with, especially if you're coming from the typical high-carb way of eating, and try to work down to under 100g. From there, it'll be easier to drop down into keto or otherwise find where you do best.

To figure out the rest of your macros, you then simply figure out your protein needs, which most people typically aim for .8-1g per pound of lean body mass.

If you don't know your lean body mass, you can estimate it by getting a tape measure and measuring a few places and plugging them into one of the calculators at http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ (I recommend the Covert Bailey one). That will get your body fat percentage. Subtract that number from 100 to get your lean mass percentage, then take the decimal form and multiply that by your weight. That will get you about how much you're looking for (at 1g per pound). Yes, it's possible it will be well over 100g of protein. 1g per pound of lean mass is on the upper end, so it's okay if you don't completely hit it, especially if you don't do a lot of strength training (and no, Body Pump is not strength training), but it's good to aim for it in an effort to increase your protein intake overall.

Then, fill in the rest with fat. Yes, it will likely be close to, or even over, 100g, and will very likely be 50% or more of your calories. That's not a bad thing. Eating fat doesn't make you fat, so don't worry and enjoy the yummy goodness of full-fat foods. :)
  • grrl77

How do you know what calorie range you should be at?
  • grrl77
    Wow, okay. :) I've got homework to do. :)
  • grrl77

This.

Mark Sisson (Primal Blueprint) recommends no more than 150g of carbs for anyone (100g-to 150g is maintenance), but 0-50 is considered Ketogenic, and 50-100 is considered the "weight loss sweet spot." These numbers can be a good starting point for goals, but everyone responds to carbs differently and has different needs.

One of the guys in the group here does best on something like 20g of carbs, and he's got a six pack and does some serious weight lifting, whereas one of the endurance runners here does better on the higher range, and I've found that I do best between 75 and 100g.

I recommend trying to get under 150g to start with, especially if you're coming from the typical high-carb way of eating, and try to work down to under 100g. From there, it'll be easier to drop down into keto or otherwise find where you do best.

To figure out the rest of your macros, you then simply figure out your protein needs, which most people typically aim for .8-1g per pound of lean body mass.

If you don't know your lean body mass, you can estimate it by getting a tape measure and measuring a few places and plugging them into one of the calculators at http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ (I recommend the Covert Bailey one). That will get your body fat percentage. Subtract that number from 100 to get your lean mass percentage, then take the decimal form and multiply that by your weight. That will get you about how much you're looking for (at 1g per pound). Yes, it's possible it will be well over 100g of protein. 1g per pound of lean mass is on the upper end, so it's okay if you don't completely hit it, especially if you don't do a lot of strength training (and no, Body Pump is not strength training), but it's good to aim for it in an effort to increase your protein intake overall.

Then, fill in the rest with fat. Yes, it will likely be close to, or even over, 100g, and will very likely be 50% or more of your calories. That's not a bad thing. Eating fat doesn't make you fat, so don't worry and enjoy the yummy goodness of full-fat foods. :)

Wow, okay! I've got homework to do. :D
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member

How do you know what calorie range you should be at?

I'm generally sedentary. When I started last year, I went with MFP calorie recommendations which was a bit of a mistake. I should have been eating more. So, I am still eating at that level (1600, plus eating some exercise calories) even though I have lost 60 pounds. I still lost 4.8 pounds in the last month, but some months have been as low as 2 (but that's still a half pound per week!). Under-eating sucks and is bad for health and weight loss over the long term. Calories do matter somewhat, but with 100 pounds to lose, the macros are more important right now. Lowering carbs is really important (under 50g, from salad veggies primarily imo).

Try using the MFP default to lose ONE pound. I know you would like to put in two, but you will likely average losing two pounds per week even at the one pound setting, especially if you are moderately active. Also, don't put too much importance on the number on the scale, it will vary, up and down. Place high importance on how you FEEL, resolution of health problems and other non scale victories. Hopefully, you view this lifestyle as a permanent change.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Just to get an idea of what my calorie intake should be close to I go here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It's pretty easy as you just plug in the info in the field and read your results towards the bottom of the page. While it might not be 100% accurate it's a good starting point for ya.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Just to get an idea of what my calorie intake should be close to I go here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It's pretty easy as you just plug in the info in the field and read your results towards the bottom of the page. While it might not be 100% accurate it's a good starting point for ya.

This is what I use too! I eat TDEE minus 10%. I don't worry much about my macros, and do NOT eat low-carb. I tried it, and felt like crap! As always, YMMV. :)