Bigger, and still doing yoga...

Options
KadenSmile
KadenSmile Posts: 45 Member
I'm a 'bigger' gal (around 200lbs at 5'7), and I'm looking to be able to find friends who are doing yoga on a regular basis regardless of their size, I'm one of those people who needs modify poses, because my body doesn't move in the 'right' way, and am often sweating like a hog during practice, and still LOVE IT!! Right now I'm trying to go to a class every 2-3 days at my local YMCA, and would love to integrate this into my daily life

I'd love to meet you just as you are...

:)

Replies

• jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Whatever way your body moves is the right way, and please don't ever let someone make you feel that it isn't.

I'm a curvy yogi too, and I modify poses, can't reach the floor properly, etc. But I love yoga and the way it makes me feel.

:heart:
  • Ennaelangels
    Ennaelangels Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I started yoga I really minded that I had to adapt poses to suit my body, but now I just don't really care anymore. Yoga makes me feel so good, so I don't really care if I have to take child's pose for a few breaths. When I stopped caring about what other people might think of me, it made my practice so much better and it gave me a sense of freedom.

It is still one of my ambitions to one day do yoga teacher training and set up a class for curvy yogi's (and of course non-curvy yogi's would be welcome to), that pays attention to modifications and posture, and just help people focus on how good yoga can make you feel, instead of on weight loss. (If I only had the finances and time to do that :))
  • jalara
    Options
    That's a goal of mine too! There is no curvy yoga classes where I am, and I want other people to feel as comfortable as possible and not shy away from yoga.
  • KadenSmile
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouragement, it really means a lot to me... I would often find myself judging myself, more than others judge me. My goal is to be proud that I'm doing what I'm doing, and that it doesn't matter what I'm like when compared to other people. I may not be able to keep my legs straight in the downward dog, but at least I know can listen to my body well.

I also made the mistake the other day of going to an "active yoga" class, rather than my usual Hatha, or Flow class, and it was hard work, but a good learning experience. I had to modify most things, but it was good.

Laura :)
  • jalara
    Options
    Laura - that sounds like great personal progress! Keep at it!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I started out doing yoga a year ago when I was 30 lbs heavier than I am now (and I'm only 5'3" so 30 lbs is quite a bit on my frame, and I'm still not at goal weight yet)...

I really feel that yoga has done SO much to help me focus on my goals and getting healthier - not just my body but my mind too, and now I have lost quite a bit! (not JUST from yoga but it has really helped!)

So nevermind what anyone else thinks, or comparing yourself to the others in class... stick with it and soon you will be the one that some new girl is looking at thinking "wow I wish I could get into the positions that she does".

Yoga is for everyone :)
  • sandeerah
    Options
    Hey Laura,

I wouldn't worry about what size you are doing yoga. I have lost 25kg (55pounds) and I still cant straighten my legs in down dog. I have been doing yoga for nearly 2 years! ha ha.

There is a 'curvy' lady in my class and she kicks my *kitten* at yoga. Keep up going 2-3 times a week and you will make great progress. Yoga is your own personal journey, keep working towards YOUR yoga goals.

Sandra
  • KadenSmile
    Options
    Wow!

Thank you all so much for your encouragement, it really means a lot to me to be able to meet people who are in the same place, or in similar places.

Best of luck all of you with your yoga practice!

Laura :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Those of us who are smaller need some modifications too. Every yoga teacher that I've been to has offered foundation poses, easier variations, use of props, and has stressed the need to listen to your own body and not worry about what someone else can do (or can't do). Honestly, if I'm watching what someone else is doing in class, it's because I think that what she is doing might help me do what I need to do, better.
  • vgurgel
    vgurgel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started yoga a year ago. I was 20 lbs heavier and feeling unable to accomplish any goals. Yoga is helping me so much! And regarding the need to adapt postures, that is no shame. Skinny people have to do all the time it to, when they´re not flexible enough.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    There are men and women in my yoga class of all shapes, sizes and ages. No one cares what anyone else is doing. So if you can't do a specific pose the exact way the instructor does and need to modify it for your body then do it. Thats the great thing about yoga. Its all about "your" body. You do what you can how you can and if you can't do a specific pose at all then you can go into the childs pose and its completely acceptable. I have times when I'm in pain or a pose just isn't working out for me so I go into childs pose till I feel better and move on.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that size doesn't necessarily have much to do with what you can do in yoga. I teach classes as volunteer work and there are thin people who have arthritis or other injuries and are quite inflexible or have very poor balance, and I've seen quite overweight people who are more flexible than I am in certain ways and have very strong practices. It doesn't matter what you look like or how old or injured you may be, if you are truly listening to your body and modifying the class the way YOU need to, it's beneficial. I love it when I take classes and hear the teacher praising people for modifying poses. It really is more advanced, so to speak to listen to your body and modify than it is to push yourself into something your body is not ready for.