Mental Struggle for Every Run

Options
Goalsat47
Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
I dont know why but every single run is a mental struggle for me. I will be doing the Week 2, day 2 run later this evening and right now I just struggle so much and do not look forward to it.

I think its because I am tired already (but at the same time I want to run in the evenings so that I can run outside) when my husband is home. The HARDEST part for me is getting on those workout clothes and walking out that front door. I dont really know why its so hard. As soon as I get out the door I am phyched and I actually LOVE it.

Anyway just rambling and trying to gear myself up.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In one of the many, many books and articles I've read on running, an Olympian said exactly what you just did. It was something like "it doesn't necessarily translate to putting my shoes on and getting out the door." All runners feel like this. To be runners, however, we need to be out there more often than not.

Off to do my run too.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks were the hardest for me, until I made a pact with myself to let my body show what it is actually capable of doing; I tend to live quite a lot up in the head so to speak, which includes doubting my capabilities. Once I stopped thinking so much in favour of doing more, I breezed through the fifth week with its biggest mental hurdle thoughout all nine weeks. I still have crappier days from time to time, but it is nothing like the first two weeks.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Every runner gets those feelings. I still get them, and I graduated C25K in March. I don't get them every day, but there are times wehre I wake up and just don't want to run. But, I go anyway.

If you are needing the motivation, you have it right in front of you. And exactly how you said it:
    As soon as I get out the door I am phyched and I actually LOVE it.

Just remember that feeling every time you start to struggle with putting a shoe on.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    keep using your daily accomplishments as motivation! Look back at where you have come in such a short time. I have a really hard time mentally too. My brain thinks I am lazy. My body is proving it wrong, and it is throwing a huge fit, and really trying to convince me that I can't do any of this. But I am doing this and I love it! Remember that it is fun and you are proud of yourself and your accomplishments! This will keep you going. You have a goal to attain (finishing the program), and when you are trying to talk yourself out of your walk, remember you won't achieve your goals if you don't get out the door!
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    103eezn.jpg

You're not alone with that. :)) When I don't feel like going for a run even if I have to, I keep reminding myself of that feeling while your out running or just after your run.
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The first few workouts, I had to push myself. I had to find my groove. Now I'm doing it every other day. I look forward to it - maybe because I like to see my accomplishments. I'm in week 3, and so far I've done 2 work outs with two 3 minute runs. Today I'm going to finish the week.

Think about where you were several months or even a year ago - were you taking care of your health? A year ago, I was recovering from what I thought was a simple surgery to remove a polyp in my sinus. It wasn't a polyp - it turned out to be cancer. I've finished treatment and recovered very well over the last few months. And now I'm training for a 5K!!! Did I think a year ago that was possible? Absolutely not. So now, when I run, I think about how 7 months ago I could barely get out of bed. I was bald, fat and depressed. But now, I can. Every day I can get out of bed, go to work, chase my toddler. Stuff that wasn't possible just months ago.

I also think about the people that going through treatment right now, and how I'm sure many of them want to get out of bed and they can't. Or they are feeling too miserable to eat. I run for them - because they can't.

I'm not trying to get too heavy - everyone's motivation is different. Find something that does motivate you - make yourself a goal.

You can do this - you really can!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The first few workouts, I had to push myself. I had to find my groove. Now I'm doing it every other day. I look forward to it - maybe because I like to see my accomplishments. I'm in week 3, and so far I've done 2 work outs with two 3 minute runs. Today I'm going to finish the week.

Think about where you were several months or even a year ago - were you taking care of your health? A year ago, I was recovering from what I thought was a simple surgery to remove a polyp in my sinus. It wasn't a polyp - it turned out to be cancer. I've finished treatment and recovered very well over the last few months. And now I'm training for a 5K!!! Did I think a year ago that was possible? Absolutely not. So now, when I run, I think about how 7 months ago I could barely get out of bed. I was bald, fat and depressed. But now, I can. Every day I can get out of bed, go to work, chase my toddler. Stuff that wasn't possible just months ago.

I also think about the people that going through treatment right now, and how I'm sure many of them want to get out of bed and they can't. Or they are feeling too miserable to eat. I run for them - because they can't.

I'm not trying to get too heavy - everyone's motivation is different. Find something that does motivate you - make yourself a goal.

I think we all have runs for the people who can't. One of my most inspiring was after Boston - that's when I learned to embrace hills. One non-runner I run for A LOT is the person I used to be.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think mindfulness is really good to apply to running. I just came back home from W6D3 (25 minutes running) and already when starting I could tell my mind felt "wandery", so I cut it short by telling myself to just be in the moment, in that particular surroundings, "for now".

To be able to take yourself through almost half an hour of running you have to apply some restrictions and you also have to realise your brain's tendency to take over; I should say the old parts, the primitive ones, of the brain - which is where fight-or-flight arises, too. That's where the quitter resides, I think, and when the voice starts to talk, the smart mind needs to shut up the primitive brain. (Also the reason why taking a deep breath calms you down; you have time to stop the primitive brain from creating panic and let the frontal areas take over, shush the panicky parts with an "It's okay, I won't die!")

In other words, if you let the quitter run the show, you refuse to let your better-knowing mind be the boss. We have a choice, regardless of how difficult it might be - and this may be both a blessing and a source of vexation, depending on how one views things, where one is as far as determination goes.
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Awesome motivation. Thank you so much. I am so happy for you.

I didnt do the run last night I actually was just too darn tired but I did get it done at 5 am this morning and I am so thrilled. Almost to the end of the first week.
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I'm glad it helps!

Great job getting up this morning to do the run! It's a great way to start the day. I just did mine on my lunch break. I'm looking forward to my next run on Sunday - it will be an early morning one - those are my favorite!