What do you eat?

Options
ellieranc
ellieranc Posts: 32 Member
What are some of the things you eat to keep your numbers in check? What do you snack on? Meals? I could use some ideas. I've seen several nutritionists, but I want to know the real side of it. It's easy for a healthy, stick thin nutritionist to say, eat this and this, but what works in REALITY?

I'm a diabetic, but I don't think I know how to BE a diabetic, If that makes any sense. I was on a forum for diabetics, but because some of the people on the board were quite militant about low/no carbing, if you didn't agree, they made you feel like an idiot. It was their way or no way.

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Managing our condition on a daily basis is stressful enough in of itself. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience elsewhere.

Trial and error has always been my approach, testing an hour after any new food choice I've made to learn it's effects. If I get too big a spike it's either eliminated or I'll try again with a smaller portion size, testing again. I limit or avoid bread, potatoes, chips, rice, pasta and desserts most often, getting the majority of my carbs from fresh non processed veggies, fresh fruit in small quantities and lower fat dairy products. I also incorporate chicken, beef pork or fish of some type into my meal plan daily.

I treat my diabetes by counting carbs, eating to my meter and use fast acting mealtime insulin based on an insulin to carb ratio.
    Many diabetics follow a Ketogenic diet with great results on their blood sugars.

In the end it's staying within your personal blood sugar targets and/or those targets set by your healthcare provider and let your meter be the judge, not someone else.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    bdubya55 had some excellent advice! I also avoid, or rarely eat, the foods that have already been mentioned as they seem to raise my blood sugar as well. However, some people can tolerate some of them in limited quantities better than I am able to do. Yes, testing is the best way to determine your own personal list of foods to avoid or limit. So check to see what is ok for you, add in some exercise that you enjoy, and keep working toward your goals. Lots of good people here for support...so just take it a day at a time and do your best.
  • JohnAtTheCove
    JohnAtTheCove Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just joined MFP and this forum. I am Type 2 on 80 units of Solostar plus 2000 mg of Metformin per day.

This is only my second day and last night before bedtime I was on my MFP target but my sugars were getting too low so I had a punnet of strawberries and a bowl of muesli to see me through the night.

I dropped the insulin injection to 40 units last night and was too low this morning still so I am thinking of stopping my insulin injections and working back up from there.

I realise that the Solostar is providing my base insulin level which means that it may take a few days for my body to respond.

I am reducing my weight from 103 kg to 80 kg.

Thank you for creating this forum.:smile:
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Grains in almost every variety are either infrequent treats or completely removed from my meals due to ugly spikes when I have them. (Even a swiped noodle from one of the family's pasta salad can send things up into the danger zone quickly!)

Sadly, I've also had to remove straight milk (though, without the cereal, the loss of the milk for me isn't that big of a hit.)

To HELP, however, I tend to have a sprinkle of cinnamon on what ever I'm eating for breakfast (between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp - not really measured, but more than a pinch) and I'll dip my evening "snack/desert" of cheese sticks in it to wrap up the day. Cannot conclusively say this helps, but I do see the numbers creep back into the low 100's if I don't have the evening, and the low 110's if I miss both unless I've been VERY short on carbs for several days.

Other than that, I tend to stick with a keto-style diet without cycling carbs and get LOTS of exercise most weeks.