Help for Newbie :)

Options
Hello All,

I'm starting keto today! I've already logged everything in advance as I know what I am eating today and my ratio's look like: 69% f, 28% p, 3% c.

My menu looks like this...

B- fage full fat yoghurt
S- egg mayo
L- half avocado, spinach, 6 cherry tomatoes, 4 pieces of streaky bacon, 30g of brie (bit random!)
D- out for dinner, will have the meat platter to start (deli meats, cured sausage etc) and rib eye steak with blue cheese sauce for main (avoiding the chips!).

Does that look ok?

Also, I'm wondering a few things and was hoping you more experienced ketoers can help...

- do you take any supplements- vitamins/minerals etc? if so, what?
- do you count your calorie intake? for today i'm on just under 1800, but i'm wondering if I should be more careful? (my BMR is 1500)
- cheese... do you eat it? does it affect your losses or can you eat quite a lot?
- how soon did you see a loss on the scale/measurements?
- how you manage your weekends and eating out?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance, Rachel :)

Replies

• JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hey there Rachel and welcome to the group!

The menu your presents looks good for keto seeing how the carb count in kept low. Also remember whole on a Ketogenic diet Fiber doesnt count towards Net Carb count so always subtract it out.

As for your other questions:

I usually take a multi-vitamin, fish oils caps, CLA, and Whey Protein (Iso 100 vanilla). Anything else I take are mainly my pre & post workout supplements which aren't required on Keto.

- do you count your calorie intake? for today i'm on just under 1800, but i'm wondering if I should be more careful? (my BMR is 1500)
    I've never seen a successful diet where one doesn't count calories. Without counting calories one could say "One more wont hurt." Too much calories can hinder ketosis and that one more could throw you out of ketosis as well. If you aren't noticing any weight loss after 2 weeks I would say drop intake calories by 200.

- cheese... do you eat it? does it affect your losses or can you eat quite a lot?
    I eat cheese, but in moderation. For some people it seems like cheese effects their ability to enter ketosis. Once in Ketosis I'd still watch the amount you injest.

2 weeks. For some people it can be a small amount, but for others a lot. The intial weight loss when starting ketosis is mainly water weight since you will be depleting your carb count from your system. 1g of carbs holds 4g of water retention.

I usually plan in advance for my meals. Because of that I don't eat out often. Only time I eat out (or eat something that would hrow me out of keto) would be during carb refeeds, but that's a whole-nother story when it comes to Ketogenic diet and your goals.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm starting keto today! I've already logged everything in advance as I know what I am eating today and my ratio's look like: 69% f, 28% p, 3% c.
    Awesome!
    My menu looks like this...
    B- fage full fat yoghurt
    S- egg mayo
    L- half avocado, spinach, 6 cherry tomatoes, 4 pieces of streaky bacon, 30g of brie (bit random!)
    D- out for dinner, will have the meat platter to start (deli meats, cured sausage etc) and rib eye steak with blue cheese sauce for main (avoiding the chips!).

In general, really good.

Yogurt is a YMMV item. Personally, I think it's fairly high carbs for what you get out of it. That said, it fits in your macros nicely, so no worries.

Processed meats are often full of nitrates. This is another YMMV thing. A lot of low carb reports over the years that these cause stalls. OK for an occasional, but be cautious about making them your primary protein source. Or look for options that identify "nitrate-free". Certainly during your first week you won't be seeing stalls, so you're fine today.
    Good multi-vitamin
    Vitamin D (not keto related - just tend to be deficient)
    Saltstick tablets (these supplement sodium, magnesium, and potassium)
    Slo-Mag: More magnesium
    We also are liberal with salt in general to up the sodium levels. And we use lite-salt in one of our salt-shakers to up the potassium.

Our bodies will excrete sodium when we do low carb. Sodium deficiency causes dizziness, headaches, and fatigue -- you know, the "keto flu". It's VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU SUPPLEMENT SODIUM!!! If your sodium levels get too low, the body tries to conserve it, and then starts to excrete potassium. Potassium deficiency can cause muscle cramps, heart arrhythmia, and can even cause your body to lose muscle (even in the presence of plenty of protein).

The easiest approach is to add a cup of salty broth. And in general, target 3-5 grams of sodium every day.
    Yes - but don't worry about it your first 1-2 weeks. Your focus right now is to eat keto and get your body adjusted. Make sure you have keto-friendly items available when your hungry. I like pecans, almonds, and pre-cooked bacon (I used to carry a baggy of bacon in my purse). Dark chocolate is also ok - try to get 85% - 90% dark. Coffee with heavy cream is also great. You need high fat when you get hungry to stave off hunger and cravings.

In general, for calories I like the TDEE - 20% approach (again, after your first 2 weeks, maybe add this). As you pointed out though - you know your BMR, so always eat above that.
    It's a YMMV thing. Initially you'll be fine. Some people have issues with dairy. If you hit a plateau, it's one of those things to consider removing.
    From day one. This is a little dependent on what diet you are coming from. For me, I was eating like **** so transitioning to low carb was a big change. Every day for the first two weeks there were regular drops. If you are coming from another diet plan that was already low in carbs, you won't see these big drops.
    I always check menus online ahead of time and plan. I'll pre-enter foods (like you've done!). I tend to eat a lot more calories when I eat out, so those are good days to make sure I've exercised. Most restaurants have steak with a salad or green vegetable available, so it's usually not too difficult. I'll ask for extra butter for veggies. Be sure to turn bread away from the beginning. But the biggest thing is to just pick "safe" places from the beginning. I don't love going out for italian and chinese because they can be challenges. Bar food (breaded and fried) can also be difficult.

A couple of final tips. Water. DRINK! DRINK! DRINK! That 8 glasses that they show on MFP? Pfffftttt.... Target 12-16.

Do not be afraid of fat. Get rid of low fat everything, and make sure it's all full fat. Try not to have meals that are heavy in protein, without much fat. My personal rule is to try to have at least as many grams of fat at a meal, as grams of protein. Meal has 10 grams of protein? I want at least 10 grams of fat. Excess protein can convert to glucose in your body, and this can cause you stop being in ketosis.

Consider buying ketostix so you can monitor that you're in ketosis. Just remember that any indication (even trace) means your in ketosis. Ketostix just measure density of ketones in your urine. A dark reading could be heavy concentrations of ketones, or could be that you didn't drink enough water.

Good Luck! You'll do great :-)
  • littlelawson83
    Options
    Thanks for such detailed answers guys, much appreciated :flowerforyou:

I didn't eat much of the deli meats at dinner last night as I didn't actually like them, and had only picked them because it was the only 'meat based' starter! I didn't buy any in my weekly shop so don't expect to have them regularly. though I did have the most delicious rib eye (medium-rare!) with blue cheese butter and creamed spinach... if only ever meal could be that luxurious! :)

I think I will keep yoghurt to an every few days thing rather than daily breakfast or snack item, this morning I had 2 eggs mashed up with some mayo (full fat). Hopefully that'll see me through until lunchtime.

I am going to aim for my BMR on days I don't exercse then as you suggest Kira, eat back the calories when I crossfit.

I already take vitamin d and will get some multi vitamin on the go also.

:smile:
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Love a good Rib Eye, I personally dont take vitamins, (after looking into just how much good stuff was in the meats we eat on Keto),, I use high quality almond milk in my protien smoothes with raw eggs, and wow the vitamins that are in those at only 3 carbs in the whole blender,
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    oh sorry I should have chimed in on the cheeses, I eat some, but be careful it can plug you up, and too much tends to stall weight loss as your body will use that fat for energy instead of the fat your trying to lose off your body
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts this was very helpful!!! I'm starting on Monday. We're moving right now, and I feel overwhelmed, so I think Monday is best. :flowerforyou: thanks again!
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    - do you take any supplements- vitamins/minerals etc? I take a multivitamin & potassium when I feel like I need it.

- do you count your calorie intake? Kind of, I try to say under 1500

- cheese... do you eat it? I eat it quite often, any dairy really, though It's not for everyone & it can hinder weight loss for some.

- how soon did you see a loss on the scale/measurements? within the first week, I've plateaued now at 2 months in

- how you manage your weekends and eating out? It's tough. that's all i gotta say lol.