Breakfast-to-go Ideas

Options
Hi everyone! I'm looking for healthy breakfast ideas. When the week gets busy, I tend to grab a bagel on my way to work, which is not ideal. I generally eat about 350-500 calories for breakfast and I need something I can eat at my desk. My office has a kitchen with a toaster and a microwave if that makes a difference.

Let me know what portable food you like for breakfast! I'm all ears.

Replies

• chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you like eggs, but I hard boil them 6 at a time for the week. I eat a couple for breakfast with some rye or pumpernickel toast. 2 Big slices of pumpernickel are around 140 cals. And 2 eggs are around 170. Very portable.
  • Eleanor8080
    Options
    I do like eggs and I should definitely hard boil them more often. I tend to only eat them on weekends when I'm home. I also love pumpernickel bread and I bet that's a good combo -- thanks!
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    We do a lot of small crock pot steel cut oats overnight & then mix in some fruit, cinnamon into a small thermos and off to work. I also like to make energy bars and am planning to make something called Oatcakes, a filling breakfast bar that is in the book Simply Natural Everyday.
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Homemade granola is easy to make & portable. You can make it so many different ways, with a variety of ingredients. Sometimes I eat it as is, other times I add milk for cereal, or I'll put peanut/sunbutter on apple slices and sprinkle it w the granola.

You could do oatmeal in the micro (I second the overnight oats idea), or toast am english muffin/toast w some nut butter. Or since you like eggs, you could whip up some muffin size frittatas on the weekend. Then you'd have a portable omlette of sorts, w whatever ingred you'd like. Reheat a couple secs in the micro!

I also live for eziekel cinn raisin bread, toasted either plain, w coconut oil, or cream cheese. Soo yum!

Hope that helps!
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    1 cup of quinoa (well rinsed)
    2 cups of water
    Salt to taste

Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
    Fluff, cool, then store in a container in the fridge.

For breakfast, I take a 1/2 cup of the prepared quinoa, add in some almond milk, dried cranberries, and a couple of tablespoons of unsweet coconut. Its very filling and you can heat it in the microwave at work. Yummmm!!!
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    I also like to make my own granola (as someone posted earlier). I don't use grains in mine, just a combination of nuts, seeds and dried fruit. It makes a great breakfast cereal or snack on its own, or you can sprinkle on top of yogurt or cottage cheese.

I will also sometimes make a big batch of protein pancakes (using almond flour instead of wheat or white flour) and take a couple to work with me. Just reheat in the microwave. :smile:

Edited to summarize that my go to breakfasts include:
    Hard boiled eggs
    Protein pancakes
    Quinoa porridge
    Yogurt or Cottage cheese w/ fruit
    Homemade granola cereal/bars
  • michybeans
    michybeans Posts: 106
    Options
    1 cup of quinoa (well rinsed)
    2 cups of water
    Salt to taste

Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
    Fluff, cool, then store in a container in the fridge.

For breakfast, I take a 1/2 cup of the prepared quinoa, add in some almond milk, dried cranberries, and a couple of tablespoons of unsweet coconut. Its very filling and you can heat it in the microwave at work. Yummmm!!!

That sounds amazing! I am definitely going to do this.
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Almost no fat banana bread- allrecipes.com

I make a bunch, add different types of things, and freeze it! I usually make like 9 loaves at a time and it lasts like 6 months.

Otherwise homemade granola bars, hardboiled eggs, yogurt, fruits and smoothies are always easy to make and then drink on your way to work.
  • Eleanor8080
    Options
    I love quinoa, but I've never made it for breakfast. That sounds delicious! I'm also going to look into making homemade granola -- that sounds fun.

Thanks, everyone!
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    The quinoa is soooo good! You can mix it up and do brown sugar and nuts or a variety of other mix-ins, just like oatmeal.

As for granola, here's a grainless granola that I love to make. Its got a great flavor, great crunch, and is pretty darned filling.

Ingredients:
    3 cups of nuts of your choice (I like to use 2 c almonds, and 1 cup of whatever else I have on hand)
    1/2 cup sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup sesame seeds
    1/2 cup fried fruit of choice, chopped
    1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
    1/3 cup ground golden flaxseed
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup coconut oil or butter
    1/2 cup honey, maple syrup, honey, or agave
    2 Tbsp cinnamon (to taste)
    1/4 cup stevia/Splenda (optional)

Directions:
    1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F.
    2. Place the chopped nuts, dried fruit, seeds, coconut, and flax into a bowl.
    3. Add the water and mix with a large spoon.
    4. Melt the butter/coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Add in the honey/syrup.
    5. Mix the butter mixture into the nut mixture and stir until evenly coated.
    6. Sprinkle on the salt, cinnamon, and stevia and mix again.
    7. On a cookie sheet (or two) lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat, spread the mixture evenly.
    8. Bake for 30-40 minutes until edges start to brown, stirring once or twice occasionally.
    9. Let it cool completely and store in an air-tight container.

This recipe makes approximately ten 3/4 cup servings.
  • dzuli823
    Options
    Yummm!! Thanks so much for sharing!!! I cant wait to try it and the quinoa!! This is a great thread!

Here's two granola recipes I enjoy! (They do have oats tho)

1. From: http://themodestvegan.blogspot.com/?m=1

Grannyola

Preheat oven at 325

3 C. Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
    1 Tsp. Cinnamon
    1/2 Tsp. Nutmeg
    1/2 C. Sliced Almonds
    10 Dried Mission Figs, quartered (ive used raisins)
    3 Tbs. Agave Syrup (ive used honey)
    1 Tsp. Almond Extract (this is the best part!)
    3/4 C. Water (you could use apple juice or orange juice if you'd like)

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl*.  Combine wet ingredients in a separate container, then pour over dry ingredients.  Toss until coated evenly.  Layer mixture evenly on a baking sheet.  Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown and dry to the touch (granola will still feel a little soft until it cools).  Let granola cool and enjoy!  I eat mine with unsweetened, plain almond milk and love to top it with freeze dried strawberries.  Go wild with your creativity, though!
    *I always put my dried fruit in the raw mixture so that it gets extra chewy.  However, you can add it right after you take the granola out of the oven if you don't want that much jaw work.

2. From : http://www.dailybitesblog.com/2012/08/28/sunflower-oatmeal-crunch/

Sunflower Oatmeal Crunch

Makes about 3 cups

This lightly sweetened oatmeal crunch pairs well with fresh fruit. If you’d like it to be sweeter, add additional maple syrup or honey. 

2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
    1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    Pinch of sea salt
    1/4 cup sunflower seed butter (unsweetened)
    2 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup or honey
    2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
    1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
    1/4 cup chopped dried apricots (unsulphured) (ive used raisins)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paperIn a large bowl, combine the oats, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sunflower seed butter, maple syrup, applesauce, and flaxseed. Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir to combine thoroughly.Spread the mixture out evenly on the lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Remove from the oven and stir in the dried apricots. Leave on the baking sheet to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
  • dzuli823
    Options
    Just found a whole bunch of yummy looking granola recipes on one of my fave sites & thought Id share:

http://mywholefoodlife.com/2013/01/19/all-things-granola-2/
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I do an overnight oats thing with oats and granola. I am not a "clean eater" but I am pretty sure you could do a clean eaters variation on that and it is a to-go recipe. If you google overnight oats loads will come up.

I also bulk boil some eggs too, for breakfast and lunches.
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Here's what i eat for breakfast at my desk. All of these are about 5 min of active cooking time and I make them in the morning before I go to work.

Fat-free greek yogurt with honey and fresh berries
    Frozen banana with sunbutter and hemp seeds (I have all the ingredients at work and make once i get in)
    Chia pudding and a banana (can make night before and stick in the fridge)
    Baked oatmeal in a jar (mix ingredients together and stick in the oven before you jump in the the shower, 25 min to cook, so it should be out of the oven before you finish getting ready)
    Overnight oats in a jar (clearly this needs to be made the night before)
  • Nimhel
    Nimhel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I make myself a smoothie every morning. Usually includes spinach, half an avocado, a banana and what ever other fruit you like. I got a nutri bullet so I just blend it, pop a lid on the cup and go. I sip at it all morning and it keeps me full till lunch.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Muesli and I found one that is made in upstate NY. It's hard to find but you can buy it online or at Wegman's if you are near that store.

It can be served hot or cold and I keep it at my desk at work. I make it in the microwave with milk.

It's called MuesliFusion Pure. The tagline is "no junk. just food" and the one I get is also organic.