What if I *don't* skip a day...

Options
How bad would it be?

I just finished week 4 yesterday. But since I still weigh nearly 250 pounds, and until four weeks ago I haven't run in more than 15 years, I'm trying to be self-disciplined in taking it slow, to hopefully avoid injuries.

But sometimes when I finish a run, I really want to keep going. And sometimes on my off-days I've been craving a run. I try to distract myself with nice relaxing walks, or the stationary bike or an aerobics video, but I really want to run. Next week the runs get longer, and I'm excited to try it.

So my question is, if I run today, am I dooming myself to injury or burnout? Or would it be no big deal?

Replies

• becauseofholly
    becauseofholly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would think it'd be okay if you didn't do it all the time, like if you have something planned that you have to go to when you had a run scheduled. Your body needs that time to recover and you could risk injury if you run everyday.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd say take the rest day from running but do other things - walking or some sort of cross training as you suggested - for no other reason than it will give your knees a break and stop you overstressing parts that haven't maybe been seeing so much action for a while (I know this was true for me anyway).

I've done two in a row on occasion when, as mentioned above, life gets in the way, but on the longer runs I never felt like I was giving it my all on the second day.

There's a fine line between pushing yourself to gain and pushing yourself too hard so listen to your body/joints and judge for yourself :)
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did not take rest days. As the runs intervals increased I found that I struggled to get through the full run portions without having to walk. Taking a rest day in between allowed me to complete the run intervals without having to walk, maybe only slow my pace a little to help with building endurance. After having completed th 5k trainer I would still prefer to run everyday, but instead I do weights or bike outdoors on non run days.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Take the rest days. You may feel like you don't need them, but that doesn't mean that your body doesn't. And when the program picks up next week you will need those rest days. Those rest days don't mean you have to do nothing though. Cross train! Go for walks, ride a bike, swim, or even weight lift/strength train. I have seen some people do a C25K/30 Day shred hybrid thing. You can use the same muscles, you just want to use them in a different way than running.

I honestly think they should be called recovery days, not rest days. You want your used muscles to recover from the work they did, but that doesn't mean they have to do nothing.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!.

I'll keep my eagerness in check. Do strength stuff and take a walk today, and wait till tomorrow for another run.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Isn't it ironic?

You think that when you learn to run, you'll have to motivate yourself to get out there every day. The reality is that you have to balance rest days and work days.

You think that when you learn to run, you'll be going as fast as you can. The reality is that you run slow most of the time because you are working on endurance.

You think that when you learn to run, you'll get skinny. The reality is that you can lose weight, IF you watch your calories, but the first gain you actually will see is leg muscles.

You think that when you learn to run, you'll get smarter, more self-esteem and will live longer. The reality is that all of that is true.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    When I did the program two years ago, I did it six days a week, so I did each workout twice. It was fine, and if I missed a day I was still out there running 5x/week! Most of it was not wanting to let my sister down (since we did the plan together) and getting time to myself, since I was a new mom at the time.

I was fine, but if my body needed a rest, I listened.

Best wishes!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    When I started, I decided on a 70 minute workout (5 warm-up, 60 work-out, 5 cool-down). My routine was to do the warm-up, the C25K program and then walk or walk/run the rest of the time until my cool-down.
    I still do this. My runs are generally between 65-80 minutes. At the moment, I'm warming up, running about 42-45 minutes (to get my 5K or more in) and walking/running the rest, with a (approx) 5 minute cool-down at the end.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I remember feeling the same eagerness to run more when I was doing the program. Like you I came to the forums and asked for opinions. It was recommended that I not push myself so as to avoid burnout and injuries. I chose to take the advice. Even now I enjoy running about five times per week but I find that my runs are way better when I have a day off in between to rest. Rest does not mean sitting on the couch it just means a break from running. I still walk and do strength training on the rest days. Congratulations on catching the running bug :)
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have felt the same way as you. I would love to run every day. I tried it once and my legs objected. I couldn't finish my run the next day. Even though I'm graduated now, I still only run every other day. I'm hoping some day I will be able to work up to running every day.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Felt the same way around week 3 - hey! I can do this! Ran three days in a row. Hurt my knee. Three weeks before it felt good enough to do fast walking. Go slow and be kind to your body.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's hard to resist adding extra runs in once you get started! I had the same urge to run as much as possible when I first started the program with my family. We have done 2 in a row but not more than that. I learned early on that by the third day my ankle is complaining and I'm pretty much sidelined for a complete rest day (if not longer) if I push beyond that. On my off days I usually do my regular workout (cardio/strength mix) or swim.
  • hhill83
    hhill83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Isn't it ironic?

You think that when you learn to run, you'll have to motivate yourself to get out there every day. The reality is that you have to balance rest days and work days.

You think that when you learn to run, you'll be going as fast as you can. The reality is that you run slow most of the time because you are working on endurance.

You think that when you learn to run, you'll get skinny. The reality is that you can lose weight, IF you watch your calories, but the first gain you actually will see is leg muscles.

You think that when you learn to run, you'll get smarter, more self-esteem and will live longer. The reality is that all of that is true.

Very true! Especially about the leg muscles! Can't believe my thighs.

I do the runs every other day unless life has got in the way, but have found that when I do it back to back I just dont have the stamina. So always try generally to do every other day and do Zumba/netball/body attack in between. Never in a million years did I ever think I'd be eager to get up and run, even on days when I already have another sports thing on, running has just never been my thing and i never considered myself to be the right build. I have really had to restrain myself but I do think it has helped. Good luck!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Take the rest days. You may feel like you don't need them, but that doesn't mean that your body doesn't. And when the program picks up next week you will need those rest days. Those rest days don't mean you have to do nothing though. Cross train! Go for walks, ride a bike, swim, or even weight lift/strength train. I have seen some people do a C25K/30 Day shred hybrid thing. You can use the same muscles, you just want to use them in a different way than running.

I honestly think they should be called recovery days, not rest days. You want your used muscles to recover from the work they did, but that doesn't mean they have to do nothing.

Totally agree with ^^^ this!!!
  • itsmewendylee
    itsmewendylee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love this. Thanks so much for posting it.
    Isn't it ironic?