Hand Stand Push-ups

Options
leanna1120
leanna1120 Posts: 21 Member
One week into my official crossfit workouts after the on ramp. Just did Diane today and of course had to scale the hand stand push ups. I am sooo fired up to be able to complete even just a few of those!! How long did it take people to work up to a few good hand stand push ups????

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    ...I can't even do regular push ups yet.

HSPU's are one of my FAVORITE movements to watch, though!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Three months into crossfit and I know I am no where near those. Today we hand those in the workout and the substitute was pull-ups. I think it may be a while until my arms are stronger in regards to pulling my own body weight, hell, I am doing strict pull-ups on my knees because I don't go deep enough for the regular lol
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I've been doing crossfit for about a year, and I'm about to start practicing those.. Normally once you can push press your body weight then you can do HSPU
  • leanna1120
    leanna1120 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow I've got a long way to go!!!
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    At roughly 50lbs over weight .. I'm not exactly holding my breath for pulling off this move any time soon. I envy those who can.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ...I can't even do regular push ups yet.

HSPU's are one of my FAVORITE movements to watch, though!

HSPU are more analogous to strict press, aren't they?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I've been doing crossfit for about a year, and I'm about to start practicing those.. Normally once you can push press your body weight then you can do HSPU

This is what I was thinking. Lot of weight for me to lose before I start considering these as an option.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have been practicing these for much of the year based on some YouTube tutorials. For me balance was the most difficult part. Only recently have I been able to do them without using a wall for balance.

This is what I did:

1. Start doing push-ups with your feet on a bench and hands on the floor
    2. Gradually raise the bench until you can do the push ups almost vertically
    3. Do hand stand push ups against a wall to use for balance as long as you need it
    4. Do unassisted handstand push-ups without a wall and try to do more reps

At any time above insert handstand training (without the push-ups) in order to work on balance
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love getting into handstands. Sometimes I do it just for fun! LoL. I think I'll be able to do those eventually.. not yet though! When I started Crossfit I could barely do a regular push up. LoL. At least I can somewhat do them now! I also love skin the cats! It seems I like the upside down stuff. :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've been scaling by using a couple of weights and an ab mat, so its basically half a push up for me. I can't strict press my bodyweight yet either so maybe I just have to give it more time.

These are one of my many goals.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    HSPU are one of my favorite movements. Strict, kipping, deficit, all of them!!!

If you aren't practicing the kip, learn it now. I did strict for a year before I could get over my fear of the kip.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

If you aren't practicing the kip, learn it now. I did strict for a year before I could get over my fear of the kip.

While travelling we stopped at a crossfit box for a workout. They showed my the kip but I was thinking I should get my strict first, then kip? Or does it matter?
  • Saucy_Yoda
    Saucy_Yoda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I got my HSPUs in about 2 months after starting crossfit, but I was a regular in the weight room before that and practiced handstand holds and arm balanced for a year before that. My shoulder press is nowhere near my body weight, but somehow HSPUs have happened.
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We did that workout today too! I have been doing crossfit for a month. Today I actually for the first time was able to get up into a handstand on my own! I didn't do the push ups, but my coach had me hold them for 10 seconds. I would say try to get up and hold them and then once you can master that, try to do the push ups! :flowerforyou:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

While travelling we stopped at a crossfit box for a workout. They showed my the kip but I was thinking I should get my strict first, then kip? Or does it matter?

Hmmm, well, both are important. In a WOD you always want to kip because It's for time, but having strict is an important skill. I actually think though, this is one time the kip can help you get the strict. A push press allows you to move more weight that a strict press (because of the dip drive/ hip extension), therefor allowing you to get stronger in your strict. This is sorta the same. If you can kip them, you can practice reps and eventually even start doing deficit which will allow you to get even stronger. Then, that strength will translate to your strict.

One thing I also want to remind everyone about is the hollow body position. If you don't know hollow body, google it. It will change your CrossFit life.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I've never even attempted a HSPU yet, though I plan on joining a box soon so will hopefully get the coaching I need to learn how! I practise handstands alot though, just against the wall and working on my balance. I find them fun :)
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I can only push press about half of my bodyweight and I can do scaled HSPU. We do them against the wall and with a kip so momentum and core strength assist. I stack 2 - 15# plates under my head so I don't have to drop down so far. I'm improving, but slowly. Been doing them off and on for 3 months and just now dropped down to 2 plates from 3. You'll get there! Just keep trying.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I can do a couple in a row RX but I am not strong in them. I didn't RX them in Diane since there were 45 of them and they gave a 20 minute time cap. They took me about a year to build up strength but it is also something that I did not work on very often. The more you work on them, the quicker they will come. Learn kipping HSPU's and use 2 mats, no plates to start and work your way to plates and 1 mat (RX)
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I can't do more than like 3 pushups on my toes, but have no problem knocking out 10 hspu with 2 ab mats at a time.. Someone showed me how to "kip" them and once I learned that... it was so easy!!! I hated doing them on the box modified, so I am grateful to have gotten that kip down.. if you learn that, you won't go back! Now I'm working on just getting regular pushups down
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    A great mod is to use a jump box at 30". put your knees on top and get in a HSPU position then practice being inverted.

Other than that, until your shoulders/chest are strong enough the best you can do is practice getting into the position.

Gotta work on shoulder/chest strength.