Anyone else have trouble with Cardio Recovery

Options
TKRV
TKRV Posts: 165 Member
Honestly, I'd rather do Pure Cardio every day for a week than do Cardio Recovery once. I feel like such a failure when I put on the video (but, for the record, I still do it and give my best effort). This is my first time through Insanity and I am currently in week two. My core is so weak, but I feel it getting stronger with every workout. However, I lack the ability to keep my core tight for a lot of the movements in the Carido Recovery video. Specifically, the movement where you go from low plank to high plank and the one where you turn your body to the side, holding yourself up by one hand and a foot while reaching up are the worst for me. And by worst I mean I cannot concentrate on my core enough to even do them. I cave in or topple over.

I think what frustrates me is that this video is pretty tame compared to others, and yet I can't seem to do the movements.

Did anyone else have these issues when they first started? Can anyone recommend some other movements I could do instead of these for the time being (ideally, movements that will help me eventually do the movements I have difficulty with).

I would like to point out that I have no intention of stopping Insanity, skipping the recovery video or sitting on my *kitten* during those movements. I will keep at it until I finally get them down. I just feel like there might be something out there that will help me get there faster than constantly falling.

Replies

• katiekicks
    Options
    I know what you mean, the side planks with all weight on one leg are pretty much impossible for me. I do the modified plank versions of those, where you lift your body off the floor with your bottom leg bent behind you at the knee and the top leg straight out to the floor. Your knee gives you a little extra help so that you get the burn without sacrificing form. I hope that made sense LOL
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    There are certain moves I had a hard time w/ as well on Cardio Recovery. It took me towards the end of month one to finally hold my core in. I found it hard in the beginning to do... I feel your pain! Once I went into the Recovery week, it definitely became easier to hold my core in bc it's Core Cardio and balance and you go at a slower pace.

I still have a hard time doing the high - low - high, etc planks and the level one drills... I'm sweating just thinkin about it. I couldn't do a push up until the 3rd week..

Only thing I can offer is everybody is different and everyone has a different pace. Sometimes I feel like I'm racing the DvD, but I regroup when I can't catch my breath. For the planks, I would do them and hold my core for as long as I could and then took a break. Eventually I could do them long enough w/o as many breaks.
  • TKRV
    Options
    I know what you mean, the side planks with all weight on one leg are pretty much impossible for me. I do the modified plank versions of those, where you lift your body off the floor with your bottom leg bent behind you at the knee and the top leg straight out to the floor. Your knee gives you a little extra help so that you get the burn without sacrificing form. I hope that made sense LOL

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. I feel like, at least with the planks I can mange a few, but I literally could not hold myself up. I'll try the rest of the month with my leg bent at the knee for extra support and see what happens.
  • TKRV
    Options
    There are certain moves I had a hard time w/ as well on Cardio Recovery. It took me towards the end of month one to finally hold my core in. I found it hard in the beginning to do... I feel your pain! Once I went into the Recovery week, it definitely became easier to hold my core in bc it's Core Cardio and balance and you go at a slower pace.

I still have a hard time doing the high - low - high, etc planks and the level one drills... I'm sweating just thinkin about it. I couldn't do a push up until the 3rd week..

Only thing I can offer is everybody is different and everyone has a different pace. Sometimes I feel like I'm racing the DvD, but I regroup when I can't catch my breath. For the planks, I would do them and hold my core for as long as I could and then took a break. Eventually I could do them long enough w/o as many breaks.

I can kind of do a pushup, but not many in a row and not very fast. I find myself sometimes pausing the dvd just so I can do the same amount of pushups as the people in the video. Sometimes I go into a modified pushup if there are a lot to do. I am trying very hard to put form first and speed second. I feel like some people on the video do them wrong because they hardly get close to the floor at all.

I will continue to attempt the planks, or maybe just concentrate on holding a plank for the duration of that exercise. Hopefully I can work my way up!
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options

I can kind of do a pushup, but not many in a row and not very fast. I find myself sometimes pausing the dvd just so I can do the same amount of pushups as the people in the video. Sometimes I go into a modified pushup if there are a lot to do. I am trying very hard to put form first and speed second. I feel like some people on the video do them wrong because they hardly get close to the floor at all.

I will continue to attempt the planks, or maybe just concentrate on holding a plank for the duration of that exercise. Hopefully I can work my way up!

Oh, you will. Sometimes it feels like time is not on our side, but you'll get there. Believe me when I say if I can do any of it (at all), you will, too :smile:
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one that doesn't do well with the recovery! I hate that one, and I'd rather run 3 miles than do it. I grind my teeth whenever Thursday comes around.
  • TKRV
    Options
    Fun Fact!

I had the videos wrong and have actually been doing max recovery! So, I finally did the real Cardio Recovery video the other day.... it was a little easier but I still hate it.

You know what it is? Doing all the workouts, I feel awesome. No matter how many times I have to pause the video or how much slower I am going compared with the people on the DVD, I feel like a bad *kitten* by the end.

The recovery videos remind me of just how weak I still am, and that's not a good feeling.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    I feel incompetent when I'm doing the Cardio Recovery. Sure, the work out is okay but I'm not satisfied with it and I usually end up stopping the dvd long before it's completed. I dread Thursdays...
  • sgtbrown
    sgtbrown Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! I finished "Insanity" in July. A friend at work is doing the "recovery" week now. It is hard for everybody! Like it says in every video, do the exercises the best you can, but at your own pace. Remember...they are all professional dancers, athletes, etc. It was hard for me too, but I did it. You can too! The planks are tough. If the transition from high to low to high is difficult, try just holding the high plank as long as you can, take a rest when needed for a couple seconds on your knees, then go back into it. When doing the plank, I found that form is key and it helped me if I sucked in my belly when in the plank. Be tough on yourself and don't let the "I can'ts" get the best of you. I have plates and screws in my arm, and had my aortic root replaced in 2009. I am currently doing "Focus T25" and plan to go back to Insanity or Asylum when this is done. I lost 35lbs on Insanity and feel much better. YOU CAN DO THIS!!