No box for stage 2 exercises -- alternatives??

Options
jamifishie
jamifishie Posts: 26 Member
Hey all, working out at Planet Fitness has its drawbacks. For one, no barbell. Easy enough, I'm using dumbbells for stage one and things have been fine.

But two weeks away from stage 2, and I realize that they don't have any boxes for the two exercises that call for one -- wide grip deadlift from box, and the reverse lunge from box with forward reach.

Switching gyms isn't an option. Are there any alternatives to these two exercises that I could do?

Replies

• rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    What are you using for stage 1 step ups?
  • jamifishie
    Options
    What are you using for stage 1 step ups?

A straight weight bench. It's quite a high step.
  • rrsuthy
    Options
    oh, I wouldn't want to stand on bench to do deadlifts. You can do them without the step - up the weight. Can you bring in your own step? Do they have any steps from old step areobic classes?
  • jennie1799
    Options
    I stack a couple of the 25 or 35# plates to make a lower step than the bench since I'm short, but if they don't have a barbell I doubt they would have the plates.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Do they have steps for step aerobics classes?
  • jamifishie
    Options
    I stack a couple of the 25 or 35# plates to make a lower step than the bench since I'm short, but if they don't have a barbell I doubt they would have the plates.

They do actually have plates for the Smith machine and some ab machines. Maybe I'll see if that works. Thanks!
  • jamifishie
    Options
    Do they have steps for step aerobics classes?

Nope. No classes.
  • rrsuthy
    Options
    I found a step I had purchased for my daughter, a few years ago, when she was too short to reach most stuff. I got it a IKEA. It's fairly small, but holds a lot of weight. I used it today for my step ups. It's a lot taller than a step (as in step aerobics), but shorter than a chair.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're going to be able to do wide grip deadlifts from a box with a Smith machine. That sounds like terrible form waiting to happen. I think you should probably just focus on regular deadlifts for now. I use an aerobic step for mine. Does PF not have classes that use the standard aerobics steps? There's usually one or two in my main gym, but there's twenty more in the closet in the classroom.
  • jamifishie
    Options
    I don't think you're going to be able to do wide grip deadlifts from a box with a Smith machine. That sounds like terrible form waiting to happen. I think you should probably just focus on regular deadlifts for now. I use an aerobic step for mine. Does PF not have classes that use the standard aerobics steps? There's usually one or two in my main gym, but there's twenty more in the closet in the classroom.

There are no classes, thus, no classrooms. I don't touch the Smith machine -- I've just been using dumbbells. I think I'll just continue with regular deadlifts for stage two. Thanks.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Unless you are lifting 135lb on a barbell you don't need to use a box as you are already lifting from a deficit. (The point of the lift is to lift from a deficit) TBH I would find a new gym and you are going to outgrow the dumbells soon.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

There are no classes, thus, no classrooms. I don't touch the Smith machine -- I've just been using dumbbells. I think I'll just continue with regular deadlifts for stage two. Thanks.

I hurt my back on deadlifts early in the program and was nervous to do the negatives from a box, so I just stuck with regular DLs throughout the rest of the program. I do negatives from a box now in Supercharged, but I'm much more confident about my form and have a much stronger posterior chain. There are some benefits to using negatives, but I don't think they are absolutely necessary. :-)
  • jamifishie
    Options
    Unless you are lifting 135lb on a barbell you don't need to use a box as you are already lifting from a deficit. (The point of the lift is to lift from a deficit) TBH I would find a new gym and you are going to outgrow the dumbells soon.

Awesome -- thanks. I'm not up to 135 yet, so I'll just continue with normal deadlifts.

I'm sure I'll outgrow dumbbells soon. I'm planning on switching gyms in 6-7 months. Until then...this one's going to have to work. Thank you!