Books to help me

Options
Anyone know any good books I can read. Bodybuilding, nutrition. Trying to find a few good books to learn more about nutrition and building muscle as well as cutting and maybe a few good workout books

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    My favorite book is probably the original 5/3/1 and the 2nd edition 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler.
    I haven't read his newest update, but I'm sure it's great as well.

Nutrition is always hit or miss, because everyone has their own ideas of whats "right".
    Carb Back Loading was an interesting read, but very pricey. (pm if you'd like a copy)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If that's you in your profile picture David, I think you should write the book. LOL

Starting Strength was a very useful book to me in the beginning, and I still read it on occasion for the form advice.
  • David_Hernandez
    David_Hernandez Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hah I wish I was that big. Thanks for the help. Ill n looking into these books for sure
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As corny as it might seem, Arnie's "The New Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding" is a fantastic resource. I've also found Stuart McRobert's "Insider's Tell All Handbook on Weight Training Technique" to be an excellent book on getting exercise form right.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    "Bigger, Leaner, Stronger" by Michael Matthews. Very easy to read and the program is just as easy to follow. I've had very good results following the program while cutting down the amount of time I spend in the gym. I lift 4 times a week (30-45 minutes) and do cardio 2-3 times a week (25 minutes of HIIT), and been able to get my bf % to an all time low. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

http://www.muscleforlife.com/books/bigger-leaner-stronger/
  • David_Hernandez
    David_Hernandez Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ya I ordered that one and a few others that were from Arnold ill check into them other books aswell
  • Sybil71
    Options
    The best list I have ever seen, below is a copy/paste of it:

Training
    Ripptoe, "Starting Strength" and "Strong Enough?" - Programming 101 starts here

McCallum, "Keys To Progress" - when the lessons of yesterday seem to hold meaning today - pay attention

Starr, "Defying Gravity" - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; here's where the road begins...

Bompa, "Periodization" - more complex than most folks want, but the gems are in there for those who are looking

Wendler, "5/3/1" - programming simplified, but still effective

Tate, "The Vault" - a synthesis of his best stuff

Ironman magazine series, The Writings of Jones/The Writings of Mentzer - these guys were wrong about a lot of stuff, but they were on to something regarding elements of intensity that go beyond just the amount of weight used...

Pavel, "Power to the People" and "Beyond Bodybuilding" - I don't have access to the original writings of Smolov or Shieko, but Pavel does. Phenomenal...(but a little too wide-ranging for noobs). Some will be put off by his fascination with RKBs and strengthening programs at the expense of bodybuilding programs. But unless your head is filled with rocks, these issues will hardly get in the way of what the texts have to offer.

On-line resources: Tuchscherer, 'conjugated periodization/cube method', Lilly, and the almighty John "Meso" Smith 5x5 along with his 8-week squat program, etc.

Iron Mind
    Zane, "The Mind In Bodybuilding"

Tate, "Under the Bar" - not everyone's cup of tea. IDGAF, it's right up my alley.

Rollins, 'whatever you can find' (edit: I was an idiot for leaving this out the first time...)

Kai Greene, "Treadmill Confessions" and "A Day in the Life with Dave Palumbo" (online vids)

Zhansi, < YouTube >

Iron Culture
    Roark, 'anything and everything', "Iron History Archives with Joe Roark" - (another unbelievable omission from the initial post) Essential. The history of the iron game is stuffed within the far reaches of that man's head.

Steve Wennerstrom, 'anything and everything' - No one knows more about female bodybuilding.

Terry Todd's series on strength training history in the NSCA Journal

Weider, "Mr. Olympia" - while hindered by Joe's somewhat stiff writing style, it also has the bonafides of a superfan and the greatest insider of them all; great behind the scenes insights that didn't make it into the muscle mag contest reports.

Arnold "The Education of a Bodybuilder" - not to be confused with his glossy doorstop/encyclopedia thing; I don't know if I would consider this a great read today, but it sure felt like one when I was 15.

Gaines & Butler (1974!), "Pumping Iron" - 'Pumping Iron' isn't really about the movie in 1977, but rather a story in Sports Illustrated published in 1972 and the book later in 1974. Really, really great reporting/story telling principally about guys that never made it into the movie. It is, in fact, a completely different entity. A must have.

Finally:

Pearl, "Keys To The Inner Universe"
    Draper, "Iron On My Mind"
    Robbie Robinson's biography
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Will Brinks. Bodybuilding Revealed.

High-Intensity Training the Mike Mentzer Way.

Lyle Mcdonald's "Stubborn Fat Solution." No need to burn off tons of muscle trying to get rid of that two pounds of fat ere competition.

Sybil, you are the quite the bookworm. I mix in strength programming with bodybuilding, just like Layne Norton.
  • ChrisH135
    ChrisH135 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    "Beyond Brawn" - Stuart McRobert
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Just finished Practical Programming for Strength Training by Rippetoe. Great follow on to Starting Strength.