Help needed! Advice on how to do this right

Options
BrandonDoom
BrandonDoom Posts: 64 Member
I want to do keto. I've been eating low carb but more in the 100 to 150 range lately. I work construction full time and I was maybe 4 days into strict low carbs (50 and below) and working on Tuesday this week, and I just felt terrible. My heart pounded heard, I couldn't breathe well, it was awful. So I gave into a sandwich. Then I immediately felt better. Is this all in my head when it happens? I do get anxiety when I do low carb because I make myself feel like more fat will cause a heart attack.

I am on a journey of being gluten free and still eat high fat regardless of being nervous (thanks to my buddy Samantha). I am 5"11 and 255 lbs. I am stocky and have a good amount of muscle. I want to sculpt the fat out though. Any thoughts, suggestions or corrections would be very appreciated.

Brandon

Replies

• Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    I found the keto calculator helpful seems to have worked for me anyway. those who go low carb sometimes have a bout of carb withdrawal so called Atkins 'flu' which sounds like it may have been what you describe. trick is to get enough fat into your system. you haven't really been low carb yet. Atkins induction is like 20 grams of carbs a day. pick up the Atkins book, some ketostix (Bayer) and take yourself down to say 50 grams/carbs per day for two weeks or so before you start induction. learn to like fat. eat enough too. don't worry about calories while you're doing it just focus on the carbs. I sip chicken broth with some coconut fat in the morning before my workout to be sure i'm not short of energy. but you don't need carbs except those incidental to leafy green vegetables.
  • BrandonDoom
    Options
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    I found the keto calculator helpful seems to have worked for me anyway. those who go low carb sometimes have a bout of carb withdrawal so called Atkins 'flu' which sounds like it may have been what you describe. trick is to get enough fat into your system. you haven't really been low carb yet. Atkins induction is like 20 grams of carbs a day. pick up the Atkins book, some ketostix (Bayer) and take yourself down to say 50 grams/carbs per day for two weeks or so before you start induction. learn to like fat. eat enough too. don't worry about calories while you're doing it just focus on the carbs. I sip chicken broth with some coconut fat in the morning before my workout to be sure i'm not short of energy. but you don't need carbs except those incidental to leafy green vegetables.

Dude thank you so much (or dudett lol, don't know if you're a guy or girl).

How do you feel eating no carbs and full on fat ? What other types of fat do you have? Heavy whipping cream? Butter? Cream cheese?
  • BrandonDoom
    Options
    I'm scared to get health problems from any of it. But I'm not giving up...
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/faq

you're probably getting keto flu.
  • BrandonDoom
    Options
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/faq

you're probably getting keto flu.

I follow Andreas blog!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Start your day with bulletproof coffee ! Look it up under search bar. Yumm meee. !!!!
  • BrandonDoom
    Options
    Start your day with bulletproof coffee ! Look it up under search bar. Yumm meee. !!!!

Message me with details!
  • kats612
    kats612 Posts: 10
    Options
    This was recently posted in one of my low carb Facebook groups. It's a very comprehensive list of studies. Hopefully this will help with your fears of getting sick. This is actually (imho) the healthiest way to eat!

http://christinecronau.com/studies/

If you're on facebook, you may want to join the FAT HEAD group!
  • yolandaelizabet
    Options
    No worries, that was just a bad case of carb flu, we all get it when we go for ketosis. And as you are a guy you got a double whammy: carb and men flu. ;-)

BTW do you know Mark's Daily Apple? It's a great site with tons of info in how to live a healthy low carb life.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi Brandon - I've been keto two months and love it! I have not experienced carb-flu symptoms, sorry I can't offer advice to you on that.

I just wanted to say that my husband is your height and started out at your weight and is down to 237 two months later! He probably could have lost quite a bit more as he is not counting calories. He's also not as active as you (he has a desk job). We're eating low carb and high fat. The fat is keeping him full so he's probably not eating as much as he used to. All cravings are gone. He loves how easy this is!

I understand your health concerns. Take the advice of others here how to combat carb flu. Research how the SAD might have been wrong all along (dietdoctor, etc). Husband just had bloodwork done and will be getting results Tuesday so I'll report back on that.

Oh yeah, and I do bulletproof coffee too! So helps up the fat, keeps me full.

Hang in there. DO THIS!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    No worries, that was just a bad case of carb flu, we all get it when we go for ketosis.

Carb flu is usually sodium deficiency.

from "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living"

Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue. With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

On keto, we should consume 3-5 g sodium per day. Broth is the easiest solution. I also like Saltstick, which are capsules with Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium in the proportion you lose during exercise.
  • kats612
    Options
    On keto, we should consume 3-5 g sodium per day. Broth is the easiest solution. I also like Saltstick, which are capsules with Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium in the proportion you lose during exercise.

Hmmm, never heard of Saltstick before. I'll have to look for it!
  • fatgimp88
    Options
    HELP! Normally I eat about 1000 kcal a day and hitting around 30g carbs. Today I was starving and though I've kept to 26g of carbs I have eaten 1800 kcal :( I don't remember the last time I ate so much and i'm a bit freaked out, and i felt so tired I didn't make it to the gym today. I have been walking around town for about 3 hours though.

Will this much make me gain weight even though I've kept carbs low?

According to MFP i've had 119g of fat, 89g of protein and 26g of carbs.

I'm female, 5'6-5'7 and about 126 lbs.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    HELP! Normally I eat about 1000 kcal a day and hitting around 30g carbs. Today I was starving and though I've kept to 26g of carbs I have eaten 1800 kcal :( I don't remember the last time I ate so much and i'm a bit freaked out, and i felt so tired I didn't make it to the gym today. I have been walking around town for about 3 hours though.

Will this much make me gain weight even though I've kept carbs low?

According to MFP i've had 119g of fat, 89g of protein and 26g of carbs.

I'm female, 5'6-5'7 and about 126 lbs.

Hon - I'm a little uncertain how to respond to you.

Your previous post indicates that you have an eating disorder (chewing food and spitting it out so as to not absorb the calories). Based on your data, you are already at "normal" weight.

Your BMR is about 1400 calories, yet you only target 1000 calories.

Please, get some help for your eating disorder. What you are trying to do is not healthy. You should be eating a minimum of your BMR, AND adding back calories from exercise.

For someone who is doing "normal" keto, I could give a response as to what to expect for the calories they consumed; for someone who has a messed up metabolism and an eating disorder, I have no idea.

Please - talk to someone and get help.