Squats with Smith Machine

Options
andreamck
andreamck Posts: 8 Member
I am about 3 weeks into stage 1, up 5 pounds (THIS is terribly frustrating!) but seeing consistent gains in the weight i can lift, and some changes in my stomach and upper arms. The only option at my gym is the Smith Machine for squats. I have read mixed reviews of this equipment. I would like to see what people in this group think....any tips?
Also, how do I figure out how much I'm lifting using the Smith Machine?
Also, regarding the prone jack knife: there is no way I can do this at the gym and not look crazy and uncoordinated, so I'm substituting a leg raise/throwdown. Is there a better substitution?
And finally, will I lose this 5 lb increase any time soon?!? I'm still about 20-25 lbs from my goal weight. I know that I should be more concerned with inches rather than the scale, but the scale does dictate my BMI, and I need that to go down.

THANKS!

Replies

• pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As long as you're making gains ... don't worry about it.
    Being on the small side my weights and gains are much slower and less than larger people.
    But my body is definitely getting harder and that's all that matters.

I don't like the prone jack knive ... in fact I follow a different ab routine than what's in the book.
    If you prefer, buy a ball and do it at home if you're worried about how you look.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would probably chose to use dumbells for squats over the smith machine, but that is because I have a slightly unconventional form for squats and the smith machine won't let me get in my correct position. As far as the prone jackknife, hahaha, I did them, in my gym, with people around...and fell off the ball many times, but you doget better with practice:)
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Smith machine is not the best option. I would sub for goblet squats over using a smith machine.

Prone jackknife you should just do them. Roll onto the ball to make it easier.

It's very true with this program, you get out wha you put in. Give it everything!!!

Good luck.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am out of the loop and don't know what a Smith machine is, so no help there. I do my workouts at home.

But, with regard to the prone jack knife, I laugh every time I do them and think I could never do these in public - but I'm old and uncoordinated! I have actually come to enjoy them, though they sometimes make my left knee pop. Yikes!
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, I just sucked it up and pretend no one is around while doing the prone jack. The tip about rolling onto the ball is a good one. I never thought to do that. I basically get my hands on the ground in proper position, hoist my left leg on and do my best to stick the right one with very little wiggle. You will get better with confidence. And if you need to, watch some youtube videos.
  • andreamck
    andreamck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Smith machine is not the best option. I would sub for goblet squats over using a smith machine.

Prone jackknife you should just do them. Roll onto the ball to make it easier.

It's very true with this program, you get out wha you put in. Give it everything!!!

Good luck.

This. Avoid the Smith machine. It doesn't allow you to use the same muscles that you would doing a barbell squat(your core especially, which is important in stabilizing your spine doing the movements throughout the program.). You're better off doing goblet squats with a DB
    The jackknife is a great exercise. Keep trying. You might try Mountain Climbers until you get more coordinated, but don't give up on the jk.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Just from personal experience, I wouldn't recommend doing squats with the smith machine. I used it last week in a pinch b/c I had limited time in the gym and the squat rack was being used by someone doing curls. I could tell right away that it worked different muscles and it wasn't the same workout.