3 yrs out and maintaining

Options
stratusphr
stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
Is anyone else 2 - 3 years out and maintaining? I reached MY goal in six months, Dr. Davidson's goal a month earlier. Maintaining has so far been pretty easy. Any suggestions, comments or questions? It's hard to find someone a few years out to chat with. Finding those who are 5 or more, almost impossible. They just disappear by that time, it seems!!!

Replies

• melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am not 3 years out, but glad you posted becasue I'd like to see the responses as well.
    I always wonder if people 3+ years out are hard to find becasue they are out enjoying life now or becasue they gained the weight back and are ashamed.......
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I'm 4.5 years out. I think your head just gets into a different place and so you aren't on weight loss forums any more. I know sometimes I go a little mad reading about people obsessing of things that happened to me years ago that I can't really related to any more, so I understand why they go away.

Plus, when I had this surgery, the insurance companies were just starting to cover it so a lot of people weren't getting it so there just as many oldtimers compared to something like RnY.
  • stratusphr
    Options
    So you are about 1.5 further out than I am??!!! Yay!! Thanks for responding. I agree, we do get busy and it becomes our new way of life. I am still obsessive, but that is my personality, I think! I love this, it's like a game, and I'm winning. :)
    I see that you are staying steady with your weight too, that's great. I do like to get on the forums because I know others that aren't as far along as I am, like to know this isn't just another fad diet, it IS a new way of life and nothing like previous attempts to lose weight.

I weigh every morning, I have for almost three years now. When we're at home, I weigh and measure my food.....several reasons....first, I log so I can keep track of calories and protein, second.....I don't experience real hunger, so I eat because it's social and because I know I must. If nothing else, out of habit. I know how much I need and how much I can eat without being miserable. I try and under eat my sleeve, it works.

The past two weeks I've kept eating the same amount of calories but upped my protein from 60 - 65 all the ways to 75 - 95. I've started up again, I'm losing weight. I just wanted to see if I could!! I can, that is really a good feeling.

Again, I'm glad you posted. How many calories do you have to eat to maintain?

Happy Easter to y'all.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My BodyBug says I burn about 1700 on average. I think, based on what my scale days, that's probably a bit high. I have to guess how much I burn when I swim, which I do once a week. So maybe 1600.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I am only 10 months post op from sleeve surgery but it is nice to read that you are 3 years out and maintaining. I appreciate you posting and those are further out posting their experiences. I think the toughest part is after you loose it, then maintaining it. The sleeve isn't a magic wand but a tool. If a person hasn't worked on why they are over eating and changed their eating lifestyle pre op it is really hard to maintain I do feel. I hit my surgeons goal back in 11/12 and had sleeve surgery on 6/11/12. I have hit my personal goal of 135 a couple weeks ago and would like to get to 130 and then maintain to under 135 if I can. I keep loosing/gaining the same 1-2 pounds so I think my body is at it's set point weight. Plus I do have some loose skin that is probably adding to my weight some.
    I love my sleeve and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. No regrets! Just wish I would have done it sooner in my life!
    Congrats!
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting all of these messages - for those of us still waiting for surgery, it is really inspiring.
  • SandyFromNJ
    SandyFromNJ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Three years out and still maintaining? You're an inspiration to me. I am four months out. It's nice to hear that you are doing so well. :)
  • stratusphr
    Options
    I am, and it's not difficult either. Believe it or not, one of these days you'll feel as though you're eating like a naturally thin person. We play a lot of head games to get here and I still question myself some times, but that is good, keeps me on top of things!! All in all, this has been simple, much easier than counting points at Weight Watchers, at least for me!!! Good luck!!!
  • gwen6971
    gwen6971 Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm just starting this process, so I appreciate you all posting how you are doing now. It's very inspiring.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 20 months out, but still have about 80 pounds to go to get to my "ideal" weight. Personally I will be happy with anything below 200. I am thrilled to see these posts and that you are maintaining. I too rarely get hungry and have to plan my food day or I tend to under eat very badly. I hope you stay on and continue to update us. This is great!!
  • Shelley1211
    Options
    I am 4 and a half years out. I never got down to my goal weight. I dropped about 90 pounds in about a year and a half, maintained for the next year and a half, and then slowly put on about 20 pounds. I had severe severe gastric reflux and was living on cheese and crackers and low fat, sugar free ice cream to kill it- had trouble with veggies, meat, rice, etc. Threw up OFTEN...
    I lost slowly- 4 pounds a week for a month, two pounds a week the next month, one pound a week thereafter. I was very preoccupied with family issues as well.

Last month I went back to the surgeon and they found a hernia (possibly from throwing up so often). A week ago he repaired the hernia and tightened up the sleeve to its original size which had NOT stretched that much anyway. Doing much better- only tossed up once this week, completely focused on getting in my protein and getting back down quickly. Reflux minimal.

Very psyched to be back on the wagon. First time all I did was track weight & measurements. Pllan to be much smarter this go around- weighing everything, tracking food and exercise. Planning to check in every day. Good luck all.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 3 years out. I find it different. I never did get down to a perfect BMI, but I'm just trying to maintain and maybe lose the last little bit. I have noticed it's not so much what I eat, but exercise in order to maintain. I've had lots of friends who have had Gastric Bypass and RNY and have now gained it back. The biggest difference is that I exercise a lot, I haven't gone back to soda, and very rarely eat fast food.

Once I got most of the weight off, I was able to try new things. I really like spinning classes. I'm not usually a class person, but I really like this one. I've now started to lose the last of my weight since spinning. You have to find something you like and will do the rest of your life.
  • laurithern
    laurithern Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am also 3 years out and never reached my goal weight. I came close but gained 20 lbs. back. For those of you that are reading this, compare the gal who lost to goal and is maintaining to my story. Right after being sleeved I was eating very little, had no hunger and lost weight rapidly. I went from 307 lbs to 177 lbs in just over a year. Than life happened. I almost lost my husband, my daughter got pregnant and I became a grandmother. I had three kids move back into my home so I could support them. I lost motivation as I stopped caring for myself and put all my energy on caring for others.I started drinking a couple bottles of wine a week, stopped exercising and started eating my beloved comfort foods. My hunger is back. I can not say that I can eat a lot at one sitting but I sure can eat a lot more then the first two years of being sleeved. Old habits are back and it shows in my weight loss efforts. They key when you get father out from the surgery is to stay the course. Track your food daily, move your body (even if walking around the block), don't eat for your emotions (be mindful always), and surround yourself with support (like these message boards). For me it has not been easy but I'm back to take my own advice and I'm here with you all to start back where my success ended.
    Good luck to all of us.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Laurithern, ((( thanks ))) ... you'll be back on track soon! Thanks for sharing that!
  • stratusphr
    Options
    I am certain you can get back on track. Make yourself a priority!!
  • JumpingJacs
    JumpingJacs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 20 months out and currently losing the last 30lbs. I could have been there by now, but I freaked out for some reason as I became closer to the goal. I slowed down in working out and just maintained where I was for several months. Now, I'm ready and going hard again. Did anyone else experience that? That was crazy.
  • LOOKnow123
    Options
    Can you please let me know if you experience hunger? Besides weighing in everyday and tracking your foods, what else can you recommend to stay on course? Do you still eat protein first, veggies second, etc.? What are your daily goals regarding calories, carbs, fat and protein? Do you still consume protein shakes and / or protein bars? Do you still take vitamins, if so, what do you take and how much of each?
    Thanks
  • stratusphr
    Options
    Sorry it took so long to respond, I just saw your post.

I still do not drink when I eat and wait for 30 minutes afterwards to drink anything. I log all my food on line, and track my calories and protein. My doctor doesn't worry about carbs unless a patient isn't losing, that was never a problem with me.

I do not experience hunger, I have what I call my new hunger, more of an empty feeling and it's not a daily thing, every so often. It lets me know I can put something there, but if I need to or want to, I can ignore it.

I UNDER EAT my sleeve. I know what it will hold and I eat less. If I eat until I am full, I am very uncomfortable. Under eating is good for weight loss, when I was losing.....good for maintaining now and is great to make sure I don't feel miserable!!!

Protein is always first, then veggie, and that does include if I am eating potatoes or rice......but I eat sooooo little. I try and eat 3 oz of meat or fish, an eighth of a cup of cottage cheese (1%) and then an eighth of a cup of another side - veggie or starch.

All of these things are as natural to me as breathing. I knew for me, I'd have to make lifestyle changes, and I have. I also eat off a smaller plate, a salad plate and many times use a seafood fork when eating at home.

My protein goal per day is 60, I normally get more. I need 1300 calories to maintain, lately I'm getting less many days and over the past three months, I've lost an additional 3 pounds.

I hope this helps, good luck!!!
  • Texas_Pearl
    Texas_Pearl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Glad to find this group. I am just now getting active on MFP. I had my sleeve about 2 years ago. I lost really well for about 9 months, then it came to a dead stop, even though I still needed to loose 40-50 lbs (overall I lost about 90 lbs). Lately I have gained back about 10 lbs. I know I am over eating emotionally and not exercising enough. Plus not logging my food, so I'm pretty sure my protein has slipped down and the carbs have slipped up. Hoping by logging in MFP and finding some support groups will motivate me to get back on track. Looking forward to getting to know a few of you. If any of you would like support partners I'm eager to be a part of a small support / accountability group.

Kathy
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I had Dr. Davidson too! I am almost 2 years out. I was sleeved on 6/14/12. :)