CrossFit Newbie

Options
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to CrossFit (did my first sessions today), I've been on a health kick for about 4 weeks now and everything is heading in the right direction. I'm running 4-5 times a week doing about 6.5km per run and can certainly feel my fitness improving.

Hoping to find some others in a similar position to where I am for some extra motivation and to hear some good tips from others.

I turned 29 in May and had promised myself that I would run a marathon before I was 30, so that is one of my major goals, as well as dropping about 15kg and gaining some strength and tone.

Any advice out there about how many sessions on CrossFit I should be doing per week to start out?

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I do it Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I will walk one other day and run one day as well.

I'm not exactly sure how you'd incorporate CF into a marathon program. That's a lot of running and at least once a week CF is going to leave you sore as hell for a few days until you get more used to it.
  • jsdcap
    jsdcap Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am in my second month of Crossfit I go 3x per week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. off days I swim Sunday I do Hot Yoga.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm in my third month doing Crossfit, and I just joined the regular class a few weeks ago. I go Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I also play kickball and softball during the week, and go rock climbing at the gym on off days when I can.

Right now I feel like I'm still adapting to the craziness of the "full" Crossfit workout, and I'm constantly sore. I've basically been useless to my sports teams and my climbing has suffered too. And I'm eating tons and tons of food.
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    well it depends. You get what you work for. 3days a week is great!
    I personally like to go about 5/6days per week, cause its really expensive, so i want to make it worth it. I just take it a little bit easier with the weights then.
    It works just perfect for me. I joined about 2months ago and look at that back! ;)

oh and i bike about 12km per day, on my off days just some walking and easy yoga to get a little bit more flexible.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I just started in July and I go 5 days a week - usually Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat. I don't do other exercise (beyond kid-chasing), though.

I'm another one trying to get my health in check by my 30th birthday!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I go 5 days a week assuming nothing goes wrong. However, I was going 2 months in foundation before I moved to the regular class and it was at that time I moved up to 5 days a week. So seeing as though you are new, I would recommend the 3 days for a while
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I go to CF 3 times per week (Tues, Wed, Fri), run three days per week (Mon, Thurs, Sat), and try my best to get to yoga twice each week (Mon and Thurs). I'm currently in training for my third half marathon and was training for my second when I started CF. What was important for me (and continues to be) was backing off the leg work in my CF workouts as my mileage started to increase. That was especially true on the days before my long runs.

CrossFit and endurance running do not necessarily go hand-in-hand, but if you are smart about both, you can find a balance. When I'm training for a race (as I am now), my running takes priority and I back off of the CF, but as soon as I'm between races, you can bet I will be hitting the CF hard again!
  • EB4life
    EB4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Me too a newbie :) Add me plz. Would love more CF LUV <3
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I do 3 days a week with some form of cardio in between. Only advice I can give is make sure your box and trainer are good. Form over reps any day is better than knocking out reps without form. That leads to injury. Good luck and welcome to CrossFit!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I go to CF 4x a week and then do yoga or a jog on my day off. Letting your body rest/recover is key to finding success with CF (or really any type of exercise program.)
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Because you are training for a marathon, I would say that 3x per week will be plenty. the more you do crossfit though, the more you can add to it.

Take my days for example, 4 days out of the week, I run 5x400m intervals or row 5x500m intervals, then do the WOD, then stay after for our competitor's heavy lifting class. Then Saturday is usually a brutal partner WOD. Sunday and Monday are currently my rest days.

But just starting out, 3x per week should work just fine, but listen to your body. If it can do more without becoming exhausted, let it do so! If it needs you to pull back a bit, do that.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I go M-F @ 5am, then usually a second WOD (metcon) on Friday nights. Then the team WOD on Saturdays.

Sunday I... Sleep For Time.

I agree that the more you put into it the more you get out.

3x a week for you should be fine if you are marathon training.