I'm scared..

Options
VanCityFit
VanCityFit Posts: 105 Member
In the past I have always done what I considered and what my coaches considered to be a ketogenic diet, but in reality it was high protein, moderate fats and low carbs. It did work but man was it dreadful, I did this same diet early this year and lost 25lbs in about 6weeks and I was happy with that but man, I was hating life. I constantly had cravings, my husband said I was terribly moody and I felt like death.

So I'm giving true Keto a try, but it just feels so wrong. I've never been able to eat bacon or dairy in my previous diets. Tonight I even made chocolate whipped cream and it was delicious!! I've been staying around 70% fats, 25%protein and 5% carbs. It is only my third day and I am just hoping that something like this will actually work for me because it is soooo easy compared to previous things I have done.

We're any of you discouraged, what have your results from Keto been? I would love to see some before and afters with timelines!!

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    For me, the most remarkable thing about keto (as far as a 'diet' goes) is that I don't think about eating 24/7. Other times I was on calorie restriction, it seems that it was so much mental work.

With keto, I can still eat so many things that I would be eating anyway, but not feel guilty because I love butter on my veggies, or heavy cream in my coffee. :)

I'm not in a big hurry to lose weight for the most part as I started because I wanted to be healthier. Too much of the diabeeetus in my family & I don't want any part of that.

I took some pics back in June & I'm waiting until I get to 15lbs lost to update them.
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was looking at the keto diet until a few days in I was soooo tired, backed up (plumbing) and was reading that it will be like this for at least 2 weeks. I was switching from a VLCD and felt that didn't give me enough protein so thought since it was already a low carb diet that it would be an easy switch over and that my ketosis would come quickly. The sticks I bought were still reading that there were no ketones so I must confess I threw in the towel. I would love to try it for a bulking or toning phase but for just fat loss I am going to stick with the low cal diet because I cannot stand being tired. I have two small children and I couldn't even clean the house or cook. It was the worst feeling I've ever had on a diet. Usually I am energetic when I'm slimming down! On my VLCD I had organized my whole house in a few days!

With the VLCD I was able to have my fav vitamin drink also which had 7 carbs per serving and I was supposed to have 2 of those a day for my body weight. That was another deal breaker.

I think it is a great diet but not for what I want right now.

Haha, I'm loads of help :P
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Using this really helps to keep track :)

http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have done low carb a few times in the past 10 years. In general we've had some success, but then went off the low carb diet, and gained weight back (and then some). While we had dieting success, I still believed the conventional wisdom that the Standard American Diet was the healthy way to eat, and that this was an unhealthy fad diet (it worked to get weight off, but wasn't a sustainable, long term way to live). So I always went back to "normal" eating.

What a difference this time around. I've done a lot more research, and now understand that this isn't a fad diet - it's how our bodies best operate. This isn't unhealthy - it will make me the healthiest I have ever been. It makes me angry how we, as a society, have been lied to, manipulated, and deceived into believing the Standard American Diet is healthy. The SAD has made our society obese, and made corporations rich at the expense of the collective health of our people.

Please - do the research. Don't just read the getting started guide on what to eat. You'll probably have some success, but if you don't really take the time to understand the underlying principles, you may revert back to "normal" when you hit goal (and then gain some, if not all of that weight back). Read some of the books. Watch Fathead. Understand why low carb and keto works. Understand that this is HEALTHY; that this is not a fad, and you can live this way long term. If you can get to that point, you won't fall off the wagon, because you won't want to do anything else.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ditto exactly what MermaidTX said. Also as Kiramaniac states do your research and think about what we are doing! We're eating wholesome foods, mainly natural, tasty and satisfying whilst slowly getting our bodies to optimum weight. Some of us ( well me anyway) have really struggled keeping portion control and addictive eating under control, this way seems to work. That said I can fully understand hulahoopmamas experience, energy levels can drop initially and with a young family it can be really difficult. Perhaps finding a sweet spot slowly increasing carbs until energy levels are at the required level would work in that situation. When I think about all the artificial rubbish I have eaten in the past this can only be an improvement. Because we are adding visible fat it may seem counterproductive to what the "experts" tell us but think about the hidden fat in the food we previously ate, certainly in my case there was just as much, I just wasn't aware of it. Good luck in your endeavour.
  • VanCityFit
    Options
    I don't have any problems with energy at the moment, I feel fantastic whereas I used to feel crappy on high protein. I'm also under the care of a Naturopath who is closely monitoring my thyroid keeping it at the optimum level for weight loss which is 1.5, I was at 3.1. It had only been three days, today is my 4th and the scale is already moving in the right direction.

My doctor and I have already come to the conclusion that Keto has to be a lifestyle for me because my body just can't process the carbs correctly. I have honestly tried everything, I've hired some of the most elite nutrition consultants in the bodybuilding industry and with some of them I only gained weight.

This has to work, it's my only hope!!!
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I definitely have felt discouraged at times. When I'm in ketosis, I feel great and I'm really not tempted by SAD. But, once I go off keto, I have struggled to fully recommit. I know that keto is healthy for me -- and personally, it's more than weight loss benefits. I've suffered with depression and anxiety for a long time, and keto (especially eating lots of healthy fats) has made such a difference.

But even knowing that, I've still struggled to get back into it.

One thing that really is a challenge for me is social events. I absolutely can modify wherever I am to stay in ketosis, but our country is built around high carb. I live in Boulder, Colorado, so I'm surrounded by healthy people. Even though a lot of people I know do paleo, primal, or another form of generally clean eating, no one gets keto (I actually have to point out to the primal people that Mark Sisson *does* recommend keto and discuss it on his blog). Anyway, it can get a little exhausting asking for a burger on salad instead of a bun, eggs benedict without the English muffin, eggs with avocado instead of hashbrowns. Don't get me wrong -- I think I've kind of mastered eating out regularly and sticking with keto. But it takes some planning and energy.

I'm doing a fat fast to help as a reset button. And I LOVE keto foods! If you haven't already, I would get Dana Carpenter's fat fast cookbook for some ideas and a plan of sorts to help you get back into keto.

I also recommend spending time on MFP. Every time I drift away from MFP, I start to feel alone in the nutrition world and I start to forget all the wonderful reasons I eat this way. Being on MFP and virtually surrounded by knowledgable ketoers can really help with your own sanity and dedication.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Watching Fat Head is what started me on my keto journey. It was incredibly educational & not incredibly boring. I also read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. Then continued educating myself online & now through people on MFP :)
  • VanCityFit
    Options
    Everyone is so helpful and supportive in this group!!! I love it! Thank you all, I plan to watch Fat Head tonight and order some cookbooks.

I've lost 5lbs since Tuesday! I now most of that is water weight but hey, I'm still happy about that.
  • Longisland2NC
    Longisland2NC Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It was tough for me at first to wrap my head around eating all that FAT....since I was brainwashed all of those years that Fat made you fat. How wrong they were (and how upset I was at myself for believing that lie!!)

I felt soooo guilty at first to add butter to my foods - cook with oil (instead of PAM)....heavy cream in my coffee instead of skim milk. Eating bacon and WHOLE EGGS and not egg whites. I was AMAZED when I looked in my fridge and pantry at how much SUGAR and CARBS were in all the foods that I had been buying for years!!! I almost never-ever go into the pantry anymore. (and I was a HUGE snacker - in and out of the snack cupboard during EVERY commercial at night and during the day I could hardly pass the pantry without opening it and grabbing one of those Low-Fat *goodies*.) I now buy almost all of MY food in the perimeter of the supermarket....My family still eats as they used to - though I have been making less of the real carb-filled side dishes for them as I used to.

It is a bit tough mentally at first. I did not know HOW I was going to do it during the first few days, but I am SOOOO Happy I did! I have lost over 40 lbs since I started in June! To me this is a new lifestyle, not a diet - and I agree with the above - READ all you can. Watch the videos....it was the best decision I ever made for myself! Best of luck to you!
  • kats612
    Options
    I don't have any problems with energy at the moment, I feel fantastic whereas I used to feel crappy on high protein. I'm also under the care of a Naturopath who is closely monitoring my thyroid keeping it at the optimum level for weight loss which is 1.5, I was at 3.1. It had only been three days, today is my 4th and the scale is already moving in the right direction.

My doctor and I have already come to the conclusion that Keto has to be a lifestyle for me because my body just can't process the carbs correctly. I have honestly tried everything, I've hired some of the most elite nutrition consultants in the bodybuilding industry and with some of them I only gained weight.

This has to work, it's my only hope!!!

Hold the phone! Your doctor concluded? I want your doctor!!!! Please!

P.S. I think you're doing great!
  • redheadbynature
    redheadbynature Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You are worth giving this way of life 30 day. I wanted to through in the towel too, but I husband ask me to wait it out and I'm sure glad I did. Your body is detoxing from all the carbs and sugar you were eating and learning to burn fat instead of sugar. I started feeling better after about 2 1/2 weeks. You'll get there, just be patient.

Some people quit after giving it only a few day saying this doesn't feel right/good. Just this about this, if you've been drinking and/or smoking for many year then decide to quit. You feel absolutely terrible for a while during the detox period. You'll either give up go back to that unhealthy life, or stick it out and succeed at a better life.

Another educational source is a book by Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat, And What To Do About It. It will talk about body chemistry and bio processes that explain why keto is a better for you. It also explains, towards the end I think, why you're feeling the way you do. Take a multi vitamin and b1, if you're not already. It might make you feel better.

I hope you get the support you need to keep going. It's a life change, not a "diet for a while"
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was discouraged all the time... at least once a month!! (probably more : - ) ........definitely more?? IDK. A lot.

But I did not quit. Keto is a lifestyle. It is the right lifestyle for me - not everyone but definitely for me. Sounds like you have tried everything else and that this is the best for you as well. That being said, it won't all be easy. The first couple of weeks are the hardest. Your body has to learn to live off of fat and not carbs and that is an adjustment. I felt better after about 2 weeks. After a month I was flying high and had so much energy I could hardly contain myself.

Try to give yourself at least a full month (hopefully much longer) before treating yourself to anything non-keto. The biggest downfall is cheating. I think we all get tempted to cheat and have a treat. Nothing wrong with that as long as you fit it in your macros or work it off in the gym. Don't beat yourself up. Take it one day at a time.

On keto my skin is better, my mood is better, I slept better, I never had cravings, I had plenty of energy to exercise, etc. It has made me feel so much better overall. I know you will feel better too if you will just stick with it.

Stay on top of your water. You need more with keto. Drink at least 12 cups a day. I am a creature of habit and tend to eat the same things over and over but when I was craving something I had to learn to seek out a keto friendly recipe for it. It takes time and sometimes a couple tries but it is well worth it. Don't suffer, eat what you love and if you need to, keep adding new keto recipes to keep yourself satisfied.

I can't wait to watch you be successful at this!
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Fantastic replies, it would be hard to add to everything that has been posted, I DITTO most all of it!!!! finding KETO and ATKINS on My Fitness Pal has been a blessing!