Breakfast ideas

Options
MellieJean
MellieJean Posts: 13 Member
Hi, I'm just getting started and would like to hear what you are eating for breakfast. I'm standing in my kitchen in a fog! Got a lot of extra lbs. to lose!

Replies

• feffynj
    feffynj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi - welcome!

There's a great thread on this here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1059050-breakfast
  • SkinneyGirl28
    SkinneyGirl28 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi - welcome!

There's a great thread on this here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1059050-breakfast

There is not much vegan there
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    These days, what I like to have is a Vega smoothie made with either almond milk, coconut milk, or vanilla soy. I then add a couple of different fruits or fruits/veggies to the mix. Depending on what fruits I am adding, I will either have a vanilla or chocolate flavoured smoothie. I also add some Rawsome Whole Food Meal, some flax as well as some Moringa Oleifera Leaf Powder to finish it up. Depending on how much quantity I want I will either use 1 cup or 1 and a half cups of the liquid. As well, I like to add about 1/4 cup of either Coconut yogurt or plain tofu. All this goes into my smoothie and they usually come in around 350-400 calories. I am full for hours with this and don't have my lunch until 1 PM. Some people also like to make a tofu scramble with lots of veggies tossed in. It's pretty well up to you. A good whole grain bread with peanut butter also works.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I like oat meal, usually old fashioned (they are thicker) or steel cut oats, with a scoop of GNC Spiru-Meal vanilla protein powder, a tbs of chia and tbs of ground flax seed, 1/2 cup of almond or almond/coconut milk, and either tspn of natural sugar or Stevia.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm not very imaginative with my breakfast and tend to eat the same thing every morning. It keeps me satisfied until lunch most days. I soak 1/2 cup of rolled or steel cut oats overnight in a 1/2 cup of soy milk. I love it cold from the fridge. No other added ingredients necessary. I finish up with a small or medium banana. Such a filling combo :)
  • vegancami
    Options
    I have three main breakfast meals that I use according to how many hours of feeling satisfied I need, what kind of activity I'm doing and how many calories I'll be eating that day.

1.Mashed up banana with 1/2 cup of instant oatmeal, 1 tbs ground cinnamon and 1 tbs of chia seeds, all mixed together. 1 cup of soy milk.
    2.One cup soy milk with 1/2 ou 2/3 cup quaker oatmeal squares, 1tbs cinnamon and 1 apple cut into small cubes.
    3. Two slices of bread (I make my own whole-wheat bread but when I buy my bread I prefer those with no more than 100 calories per slice) with 1/2tbs peanut butter (each) and 1/2 tbs of St Dalfour jam (each).
    I also eat 3 spirulina pils with breakfast about 5 times a week.
    If I have time in the morning (not very often) I make some scrambled tofu with green onions, tomatoes and turmeric and eat it with whole wheat bread.
    I also think hass avocados with bread or crackers are great (1/2 a hass avocado mashed up with some salt), but I never eat that because I prefer to eat my avocado later in the day.
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Here are some good ones I've posted on my blog:

Quick skillet granola (and parfait): http://www.willowandthyme.com/2013/08/27/recipe-snappy-skillet-pumpkin-granola/
    Steamed veggies and tofu scramble: http://www.willowandthyme.com/2013/08/26/meatless-monday-mornings-steamed-veggies-and-tofu-scramble
    Autumn Cider Granola: http://www.willowandthyme.com/2013/05/21/autumn-cider-granola/
    Breakfast sandwiches:

Baked tofu and smashed avocado toast:

Green smoothies!:

I have a million other ideas too, but it's fun to experiment and just start throwing things together! Sometimes we'll do a more Asian thing and have Thai rice soup or a bowl of miso with baby bok choy. Other days I've done chickpea flour "omelettes". The sky is the limit!

And some photos for those that don't wanna click the links. ;)

9596751011_21b99a648c_z.jpg

ef3ded90d74311e2be5222000a1fafb5_7.jpg

eeaaf324099211e395e122000a9e2965_7.jpg
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    fantastic photos- yum - I usually eat a piece of fruit.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My breakfast at the moment is oatmeal.

Here it is:
    50g quick oats
    32g dried dates
    1Tbs ground flaxseed.
    Water

Heat in microwave or stove top until cooked to desired consistency.
    Top with 40ml of soymilk.

Its quick, easy and it keeps me full to about lunchtime and it comes in under 300 cal.
    I also like the health-giving properties of the ingredients above. It really is a great start to the day.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are my favorite - 1 cup milk (usually soy, sometimes coconut), 2-3 tbsp protein powder (2 rice or 3 hemp), 1-2 frozen bananas, and some other kind of fruit. I sometimes add water to thin it out if I want it to last longer.
  • vgurgel
    vgurgel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    An all time favorite especially during winter is oatmeal porridge. I make mine with one banana cooked with powdered cinnamon cause it makes it sweet and yummy. I also love to eat some fruits cut up and mixed together. Another one I like to make is to cook a banana and then mix it with natural, sugar-free yogurt :)
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap muesli with vanilla soya yoghurt.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I make this, cut it into 6 pieces and eat one every morning with a little almond milk poured over and then warmed:

Oatmeal Quinoa Bake

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix:
    1 cup quinoa flakes
    1 cup almond flour
    1/2 cup oatmeal (I use Bob's Red Mill 7-grain cereal because I can't eat oatmeal)
    1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    dash of allspice
    1/2 tsp. salt

In another bowl, mix
    3/4 cup almond milk
    1/4 cup syrup (I use sugar free)
    1/4 cup apple sauce

Add the wet to dry, mix and let sit a few minutes.

Chop up fruit of choice. I usually chop up an apple and add about half a cup of blueberries, but you can use any fruit.

Put fruit in the bottom of a prepared casserole dish (or pie plate). Spread mixture over top. Sprinkle with 1 TBL coconut. Bake 30 minutes.

This is delicious and very filling.