Participant Updates

Options
caradae
caradae Posts: 743 Member
Welcome!

Tell us about yourseves.

Bonus:
Tell us something *unusual* about yourselves.

Replies

• melissa44
    melissa44 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I am a 50 year young wife and mother to three girls and I work full time as a Registered Nurse in a NICU as well as a IBCLC, (lactation consultant) I enjoy reading Debbie Macomber books :) Knitting, Quilting, Sewing and Scrapbooking. We have a RV and just came back from a month long summer vacation at the beach and I seriously need to get back on track and become accountable so this group happened for me at the perfect time :) I lost 200 pounds about 10 years ago... and have regained about 33 pounds that I really want to work on losing.
  • JessiesGirls520
    Options
    Hi I'm Jessica. I'm 26 years old and married. I manage a yoga studio. Besides doing yoga I love crocheting and knitting, cross-stitching, reading, and rock climbing. I lost about 70 pounds 4 years ago and want to work on changing my body composition now.
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Priyanka. I'm a student, and I love music and animals. After college I want to go to vet school and be a vet. I've been overweight since I started puberty and want to get myself healthy now rather than later. I've been slacking as far as diet goes this month, and so I'm definitely scared by this challenge - but hopefully that fear will translate into success!
  • Fit4life0726
    Fit4life0726 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good Evening! My name is Charice...I work full-time, married for 22 years and have 2 teenagers...my daughter is 15 and my son is 14. I have been struggling with my weight for many years and know that my children are older i am able to spend time working on my self. I have already lost 20 lbs and need to lose approx 60 more to get to my goal. I just want to be fit and healthy...i am not looking to become a super model :) I am glad that i found this group because I really need the accountability. I hope you all have a awesome evening!!
  • shegetsbetter
    shegetsbetter Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm a 28 year old Canadian who is currently living in South Korea doing English marketing. I'm passionate about international travel, public policy, non-profit development, language learning, and cooking! I've been overweight for a decade and I want to lose this weight before I turn 30!

Something unusual: I've been inexplicably obsessed with the Bering Strait up near Alaska/Russia since I was young and one of my goals in life is to visit the area!

Looking forward to the challenge, good luck!
  • caradae
    caradae Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Glad to have you in the group. :)

About me:
    I'm a 32-year-old mother of two small children. I work full-time at a bookstore, a job I love. I'm married to my high school sweetheart. And I live in an apartment that I love, but am currently wishing I lived in a house because of all the garage-requiring crafts I want to do lately.

Something unsual:
    I've been doing the Ultimate Accountability since June (for 3 months). So far, I've lost 16 pounds. If I lose one more pound, the Ultimate Accountability Challenge will officially be the most successful diet I've ever been on. So, I'm super excited about September's challenge. This is the month I break my record.
  • GrandMaKandy
    GrandMaKandy Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm a 56yr old mother of 4 & grandmother of 3 (to date). I am currently going through the legal process of becoming guardian for my newest grandchild, and all going well She should be home by Christmas.

I am a Freelance textile artist, costume and knitwear designer. I have for the past 13 years or so been involved with carnival costume production including running workshops, saying that I have taken this year off to deal with other personal commitments and to give myself some me time. I have worked on carnivals both in the UK and abroad. My work has taken me to the Seychelles twice to help establish carnival there. I also partake and wear large costumes.

Just completed the August challenge and am looking forward to the September Challenge... Bring it on!
  • margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to you all, for those that have done this before, you know me, for the newbies, I am 58 years young and struggle every day, but I am still going, don't always get my choices right but I am getting there, I will be throwing some challenges at you and I think mini challenges keep it interesting, feel free to throw some back at me. I have a competive side to me not as in winning but having a go at it all! No such word as can't!,,,
  • armywf07
    armywf07 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hello all my name is Rachel and I'm 35 with an active 7 year old Lego/star wars nut son and a precious angel lil girl. I have done 3 of these challenges so far and have made it to the end of each one...I did June/ July and finished August.

Unusual thing about me is I guess that I very medically incline and blunt honest. Please bear with me too at this time since my hubby is being medically retired from te army and we are having to move back to Virginia as we are currently living in Washington state.
  • Limbo2012
    Limbo2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Lynn (47) full-time working mom of 2 sport fanatics (12 & 14) which are my pride and joy but fitting 30 min of exercise in my 4-hour evening window is too often challenging with their busy schedules! Work downtown in a law firm and live in a suburb (love it). Love rock music and nature! I can't slice anything correctly and walk too fast but I'm extremely generous, devoted and caring.

I've hit maintenance in the Spring and let me say that's a journey in its own. Finished Jillian Michaels Body Revolution in the Spring and am currently doing Les Mills Combat (the best way I can; lol). There always seems to be a hovering 5 lbs here and there and still trying to figure out the right calorie recipe for me.

Loving the accountability this challenge brings! Big HUGE thank you to Caradae for all your hard work in keeping us going!

Good luck everyone! :)
  • lisamac62
    lisamac62 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I will be 51 in a few days. I am a mother of 2 boys (31 and 27) and a step mother to 1 boy (24) and twin girls (21). I have 3 granddaughters (11 and twins that are 8) and 2 grandsons that turn 1 this year but aren't twins, I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 3 years. I am from KY but live in Daytona Beach FL. I work as a secretary at a university. I had a mini stroke in May, thanks to diet and exercise I am doing so well. I enjoy reading detective novels, crocheting, going to the beach and spending time with family and friends. My family doctor wants me to loose a total of 50 pounds but my cardiologist says I need to loose 90 MORE pounds. The cardiologist is looking at the BMI chart so I am screwed since I am only 4'11" ohwell I am the leader of a weight loss support group called TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly).
    I have lost and gained + more the same 50 pounds for the last 31 years.grumble I always thought of it as a "diet" and never changed my habits. This time I think of it as a "lifestyle change" I don't deprive myself of anything, if I am going to be successful this time I have found I have to figure out what fits me....if I want mac n cheese I have mac n cheese instead of having a scoop full I measure out a 1/2 cup serving and I log it. I have been a member of MFP for 210 days and I am still weighing and measuring and logging ALL my food.
    Can't wait to be a part of this group and meeting new friends and giving and getting ideas and support.,
    Good luck to all, friend me if you like.
  • armywf07
    armywf07 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's great to see all these new faces as well some regulars too.
  • Pedza
    Pedza Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm very happy to have found your group. I have been looking for challenges related to nutrition and healthy eating. Looking forward to joining you!
    92109 Posts: 209
    Options
    Something unusual: I brew tasty homemade Crystalized-Ginger Root Kombucha and Dehydrator Dried-Fruit Flavored (Blueberry, Peach, Plum, Pear etc.) Flavored Water Kefir.
  • Gus130
    Gus130 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hello, all.

Probably what is most unusual about me is that I am certainly the oldest of this group at age 63. I have been married to the same man for 40 years this upcoming June. We have two children and three grandchildren (two are 3 years old and one is 1year old).

Apparently I am a very late bloomer – I completed my education at age 50 and found my dream job at age 60 and now am taking on my biggest challenge, pound-wise. I have persuaded by “baby” sister to join the group this month.

Last month I took the August Ultimate Challenge and lost 18 pounds. I am hoping to lose 12 more this month. So wish me luck as I wish you all luck also.
  • NightMagic5
    NightMagic5 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi every one,

I'm 59 & looking forward to another month of this challenge. Because of my Scoliosis, I had to retire early. I find it so hard to lose weight when you're at home for a lot of the day. I made it through the first month & I'll make it through this month too. This month I'm setting my goal at 4 pounds. I have 19 pounds to go all together & hope to be there by the end of this year.

Good luck to everyone else in this challenge.
  • KLWelty
    KLWelty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a 50 year old wife and mother of 5. I work full time as school bookkeeper and sell a little Avon on the side to get my stuff free. I've been battling my weight a very long time. I've only had success in the past with the help of phentermine, when I lost 80 lbs before and again after the birth of my youngest. From my highest weight ever, I had managed to keep off about 16, more or less with effort. (I don't consider my all time high in my statistics) This is my first success without meds to go further. I've lot 31 since the last week of May (reflected in my statistics) for a grand total of 47 since May of 2008.

I just survived my first real plateau and I now fully appreciate all the times I gave up. It was a rough one! Crazy it sounds, upping my calories has helped. I just noticed this morning when looking at my weight loss progress report, my weight suddenly dropped after about 3 weeks......and where it is now coincides with the downward line I was previously creating with my losses. I share this to let all of you know to hang on and keep making the right choices no matter what the scales do!

I'm probably pretty weird in a lot of ways if you ask people who know me..........but right now the only thing that comes to my mind that people think is "unusual" is that my children are so far apart. The oldest is 32 and my youngest just turned 11.........32, 29, 27, 17 and 11, all girls except for my 27 year old son with down syndrome.

Here's to an awesome month. Best wishes, everyone!
  • LunaAmour
    LunaAmour Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    It's so great to read all of your stories and see such a wide variety of walks of life.
    I don't feel I have a whole lot to say about myself in comparison, but I'll try!
    I'm 29 and recently graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Computers.
    I have lost 50+ lbs on MFP a couple years ago -- around the time I got my degree actually -- but the weight came back after a devastating breakup and depression. Things have been more settled in my life this past year, but the depression didn't begin to lift until recently, which is through my own fault. I felt sorry for myself for a long time. I began logging in July and have been consistent since mid August and an active part of the community, and have already lost 15lbs. I want to take the health and fitness back that I worked so hard for before, and hopefully find motivation to jump-start my career. I love cats and just started volunteering taking care of adoptable cats in a pet store while I freelance and seek out the right job opening.

I've gotten incredible support from the friends I've gathered these past couple weeks and am always looking for more, so please feel free to add me. I truly wish you all the best of luck!
  • Jumfro
    Options
    Hello,
    I've been a little reluctant to join a group because I've been unsure about how helpful it will be. After reading the other experiences above, I feel more confident about the possibility of good results so I'm just gonna throw my hat in the ring and see what happens. Like many of you, I've been struggling with my weight for years, it's usually been a sign of my overall wellness - when my weight is in check, I feel better. This last year I gained weight and lost muscle after being more sedentary for a while and giving in to some back pain issues. I recently went to a friend's wedding and after looking at the pictures of me I found myself shocked at how I had "let go", I think I've been in denial about my body, eating, exercise etc and the picture brought me back to reality.
    I've been using MFP daily for a few weeks and have learned SO much about my eating, it's an invaluable tool! So, I know that I have to keep track of everything I eat because it helps to motivate me to make healthier choices throughout the day. Now I just need to be better about tracking my exercise.
    I'll be traveling for 3 weeks in mid september so I won't be able to do the whole month but i'm committed to this competition 100% until then. I'll be going to Morocco so I want to be fit, eating healthier and feel good about how I look in all the pictures!
    Look forward to hearing more about you all.
  • margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    First Mini challenge, I played some good strong music with it so that I could enjoy something, lol

Participate and log it every day here just so I know who is doing it, thanks

Lunges, Push Ups & Core (which will include: Crunches, Planks)

Lunges - Exercise for strengthening, sculpting and building several muscle groups in the legs.

Directions:
    1. Stand with your torso upright & your hands by your sides. This will be your starting position.
    2. Step forward with your right leg around 2 feet or so from the foot being left stationary behind and lower your upper body down, while keeping the torso upright and maintaining balance. Inhale as you go down.
    3. Using mainly the heel of your foot, push up and go back to the starting position as you exhale.
    4. Repeat the movement for the recommended amount of repetitions and then perform with the left leg.

Push Ups - Exercise for strengthening, sculpting and building several muscle groups in the chest, arms and the midsection as a whole.

Directions:
    1. Lie on the floor face down and place your hands about 36 inches apart while holding your torso up at arms length.
    2. Next, lower yourself downward until your chest almost touches the floor as you inhale.
    3. Now breathe out and press your upper body back up to the starting position while squeezing your chest.
    4. After a brief pause at the top contracted position, you can begin to lower yourself downward again for as many repetitions as needed.

Core (which will include: Crunches, Planks) - Exercise for strengthening, sculpting and building several muscle groups in your midsection.

Crunch Directions:
    1. Lie flat on your back with your feet flat on the ground & your hands lightly on either side of your head keeping your elbows in.
    2. While pushing the small of your back down in the floor to better isolate your abdominal muscles, begin to roll your shoulders off the floor.
    3. Continue to push down as hard as you can with your lower back as you contract your abdominals and exhale. Your shoulders should come up off the floor only about four inches, and your lower back should remain on the floor. At the top of the movement, contract your abdominals hard and keep the contraction for a second.
    4. After the one second contraction, begin to come down slowly again to the starting position as you inhale.
    5. Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.

Plank Directions:
    1. Get into a prone position on the floor, supporting your weight on your toes and your forearms. Your arms are bent and directly below the shoulder.
    2. Keep your body straight at all times, and hold this position as long as possible. To increase difficulty, an arm or leg can be raised.

Day 01 - 03 Sep 2013

Lunges - 50 (25 EA Leg)
    Push Ups - 30
    Crunches - 20
    Planks - 20 seconds

Day 02 - 04 Sep 2013

Lunges - 56 (28 EA Leg)
    Push Ups - 35
    Crunches - 25
    Planks - 25 seconds

Day 03 - 05 Sep 2013

Lunges - 62 (31 EA Leg)