Food Swaps And Food Advice

Options
Doing the exercise is only half of the process but eating healthy can many days be just as challenging. Does anyone else struggle with making adjustments to your diet? what do you do when you want something totally unhealthy? what foods do you swap and still feel satisfied. I am a junk food addict (and no I usually don't log my junk food, don't want to know the calories) and finding something to swap is not always easy.

Replies

• drbskinny
    drbskinny Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I completely hear you on the poor diet thing :grumble:

I struggle pretty much every day trying to make healthier choices... or at least when they're not so healthy, staying under portioned control. The only thing I find that even helps (me) is the pre-potioned out snacks (chips, candies, drinks, etc.) At least with those I can usually cut myself off when the bag/container is gone.

My favorite things I've found lately are Dole Dippers. They're 100 calorie snack packs of banana covered in chocolate...YUM! That way I'm still getting a dessert & snack feeling, but it's mostly healthy & easy to fit in my calories.
  • 1nt2Lose
    1nt2Lose Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think different tricks and strategies work best for different people.

I know a lot of people substitute, for example nuts if you are craving salt and sugar free jello or soda (I like sf root beer as a treat), if you are craving something sweet.

I have learned that if I deprive myself, I'll binge then have a hard time getting back into eating right. Therefore, I plan. If there is something specific I want, for example, I know that tonight my family is going out for ice cream (my favorite!) I know i will have to eat 200 calories less today (ie no cheese on a sandwich, celery over a snack, etc.) or burn 200 calories more.

I also tell myself that as much as I think I want a large, blizzard, sundae, etc., it all pretty much tastes the same after the first 5 bites so I get a small sugar free cone (and maybe have a bite of my husband's.). ;)

My husband and I had good success on the slow carb 4-hour body diet the allows a binge day once a week. If you were craving something, you could write it down and tell yourself you could have it in a few days and get by. That's not a healthy mentality, though, plus the low car/ high protein diet turned me into an insomniac.

Not sure if any of these strategies will help, but it's always good to hear what works for others. Good luck and know that you are definitely not alone!!!
  • minicoopsie
    minicoopsie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have found that frozen grapes help with the sugar craving to an extent I just need to remember to bring it to work. I used to be good like years ago on being healthy with my eating and I started a job that is very stressful and well my stress eating has come of for sure.