w4 and frustated

Options
chrystenfo
chrystenfo Posts: 35 Member
So, I have been progressing right on track with c25k. Each week has gotten harder, but doable. Then came week 4. I tried two days ago and couldn't get through it. Then I tried this morning. My issue is with the 5 minute runs. I can do both of 3 minute runs, but about halfway through the 5 I just can't get myself to keep going. My everything starts to hurt, I'm panting and I feel like I'm at a crawling pace.

So, my questions are, did you have a week that gave you trouble? How did you get through it?

And, do you think I should go back to week 3? I feel like a failure when I can't complete a run, even though I should be rejoicing that I got out there!

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I struggled with week 4 too, I think alot of people do. I just kept going, no matter how slow, my dog would be walking along side me! I made a point of never stopping no matter how tough I found it because I knew it would be easier for me to stop next time. You might not think it now, but soon running for 5 minutes will seem easy!
  • chrystenfo
    Options
    Your too right, I just need to keep running. The second I stop it becomes an excuse for the rest of the workout!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    You have the endurance to get through the first 15 mins or so, so just switch things up bc I think that you just may be tired by the time that you get to the 5-minute run. So, do the warm-up, and instead of jumping into the 3-minute, do the 5-minute). And, PACE yourself. It isn't a race. It's just you. I read on here that somewhere on the official site, it says that if you can't complete the workout, you're going too fast, and so I started pacing (and bc other ppl on here told me to), and it got soooo much easier. And, remember that you probably said the same thing about the every single week prior to that one, too. I know I did, and now that I look back, they were easy.

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to complete all of the interval. If you have to walk during a run, then do it, but once you have recovered, start running again if there's still running time left. Keep practicing.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I actually struggled toward the end of the program and felt like I just couldn't push through but I did and you will too. I would not go back a week but stay on Week 4 until you can successfully complete it. When you hit the five min try to run as long as you can and then the next time push a little bit longer, etc. I remember many times just staring straight ahead saying desperately to myself "You can do this, you can do this" while my calves and lungs both burned. It was pretty pathetic if I do say so myself. I just wanted to badly to succeed that I made myself push. Whatever you have to do, do it. Maybe walk a bit longer in between if you have to, maybe run 4 min then walk, whatever you have to do to get through it.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!
  • chrystenfo
    Options
    Thank you so much for your positive messages! It put a smile on my face and I know the nexttime I go out I WILL do this! I needed these positive messages to kick my negative self talk in the butt.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have had times that I literally almost ran in place that I went so slow. You just need to go as slow as you can. During tough weeks I have went as slow as 16 minutes per mile. Now that I have graduated I am slowly gaining speed and I sometimes do 14 minutes per mile. And, as the other said, it really has a lot to do with talking yourself up. Start telling yourself before you start that you are going to make it through today and nothing is going to stop you. I tell my legs sometimes that if they want to lay down and quit that is fine, but I am going on, lol! I know some people don't like to watch their time but in those early weeks it really helped me. If I knew I had one minute left I would start at 60 and count down, it seemed like concentrating on counting took my mind off of how bad my legs hurt. Good luck, I know you can do it!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    We all hit moments where we can't, but the only way to success it to keep trying. I have a mantra when things get really bad. Timed 1 word with each step. "I - will - not - stop!" then repeat. Also, if it helps, set a distance goal in your mind. Say, ok I should be done with the 5 minute run when I reach, this location. I can do it.... Or look at your app and see that you only have 2 minutes more. Slow down if you have to but don't stop. Don't allow yourself to stop or you will feel like you failed!!! You can do it. Just keep trying. Repeat until you do get it! :-)
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    There will be days when you can't run the full requirement of the session. I suggest to not move a week back. Just keep repeating until you actually complete the session, then you move on to the next day.

During the first weeks of the c25k I kept repeating some weeks because I felt that I wasn't ready to progress. But what I have learned is that more often than not, your mind is just intimidated and you will see that your body can actually do it even if your mind says it can't. During the runs and I feel like I'm going to slow down to a walk, I just keep repeating to myself, one more step, one more step. Or, I wanna go home feeling good that I completed this one.

For what its worth - the 1.5 min runs used to kill me, but I just recently completed the W5D3 of 20 minute running. I surprised even myself. I'm sure you will surprise yourself along the way, we will be cheering for you!

There will be low days but no matter how delayed you get, just don't stop. You'll eventually get there.
  • ladytrixibelle
    ladytrixibelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I remember week 4, that was my "stuck" week as well! I remember wanting to give up because I just couldn't keep up with it. But I stuck with it, and found that by the end of week 5 I could actually do that infamous week 5 day 3 - and I did it with more energy than I could ever have thought possible. Just remember some of the great advice you're given here, particularly my favourite - slow down, you're not racing anyone! Build your endurance first then work on speed if you want to. But it's not a race.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Week 4 wasn't as bad for me because after day 1 I realized that I wouldn't be able to do the rest of the week as fast as I was doing it prior to week 4 so I slowed down! :) Just slow down a bit, you'll regain speed after you complete the program but you shouldn't worry about how fast you are going just yet! You can do it! :) Any run that is over 15 minutes for me (at this point, and I'm only a few weeks ahead of you!) I really have to push myself. So dig deep! And you will be surprised, in 2 weeks a 5 minute run is going to feel like a piece of cake ;)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's just mental. You need to find what helps you push through. For me it's switching up my music so that I don't get bored!
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you. I'm on Week 4 Day 2 and have done it 4 times now and I seem to get worse rather than better. I'm just going to keep at it until I get there. Today my first 5 minute run was perfect but my second one I had to stop about 90 seconds in.
  • teamAmelia
    Options
    I'm totally with you. I'm on Week 4 Day 2 and have done it 4 times now and I seem to get worse rather than better. I'm just going to keep at it until I get there. Today my first 5 minute run was perfect but my second one I had to stop about 90 seconds in.

Are you doing them all in the same day? Whenever I run more than once a day, I always go slower (don't say 'worse') bc I am tired from the previous run, even if I did it 12 hrs earlier in the day. You'll get used to it.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have had times that I literally almost ran in place that I went so slow. You just need to go as slow as you can. During tough weeks I have went as slow as 16 minutes per mile. Now that I have graduated I am slowly gaining speed and I sometimes do 14 minutes per mile. And, as the other said, it really has a lot to do with talking yourself up. Start telling yourself before you start that you are going to make it through today and nothing is going to stop you. I tell my legs sometimes that if they want to lay down and quit that is fine, but I am going on, lol! I know some people don't like to watch their time but in those early weeks it really helped me. If I knew I had one minute left I would start at 60 and count down, it seemed like concentrating on counting took my mind off of how bad my legs hurt. Good luck, I know you can do it!

^^^this from me too.

Slow down. You need to be slow enough at the beginning of it to leave energy for the end, and yes you might feel like you're running in place but that's okay. I also used counting as a technique, except I wouldn't look at the timer and count down, I would just start counting up the second I felt like I couldn't go any longer to see how high I had to count until I was done. It kept my mind focused on something besides being tired. I also would repeat to myself "You are going to finish this run because you are NOT making it this far through this workout only to have to it repeat because you didn't finish the last two minutes of running."
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people that tell you to slow down. It really does work.
  • teamAmelia
    Options

I have had times that I literally almost ran in place that I went so slow.

:laugh: Me, too, and I kind of felt self-conscious bc others were around, but then I was like, "Oh, well. This is what I have to do to finish." LOL
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    During tough weeks I have went as slow as 16 minutes per mile. Now that I have graduated I am slowly gaining speed and I sometimes do 14 minutes per mile.

I was slower. Then I got faster after graduating.

However, my long runs are getting longer as I build to a half marathon, so I'm slowing down again to build distance. I know it's ok because I learned how to run slow in C25k. This is important learning that will shape your ability to continue to improve throughout your running lifetime.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you. I felt the same way. but you have to keep pushing. Don't quit barbecue that then becomes your mind set. If you feel you are getting tired its time to slow down. even if you are going slower than what you would be going when walking, just keep shuffling those feet. you can do it don't feel ashamed about not getting it done yet.
    its always good to keep going.. Never Give Up!!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    It really helps if you start focusing on your breathing during your warm-up (I'm starting week 7). I try to stick with a 3 count inhale and a 3 count exhale, though I'm sure more experienced people/websites might have some other count, but do whatever works. Once your breathing gets all out of control, your legs will feel really fatigues, your pace will change, and basically it's gets even harder to keep your brain focused on the whole "just keep moving until your time is up" thing... Good Luck:smile:
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    And breathe deep breaths from your diaphragm/belly.