Keto - Weight training / Cycling

Options
Hi

I'm on a Keto diet.

Approx 3 nights a week, I do weight training. I don't want to get massive as I'm just going for a little bigger chest, should, arms, legs etc.

When I am not on Keto, I can lift quite a lot of weight compared to when I am on Keto. Is this normal?

I have a bike on rollers which I try to use two times a week. I don't want to burn the muscle off, so I understand doing 2x 30min sessions a week should be fine providing I don't go over a certain heart rate.

Does anyone know what the heard rate is?

Thanks

James

Replies

• computerblues
    computerblues Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean heard rate :-). I mean if I excersise (ie cycling) what should my top heart rate be before I stop burning fat?
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    The most important factor here is calories. If you are not eating enough, you'll start to lose muscle, not to mention you just wont feel strong.

I learned that for a person wanting to build muscle, they should not do cardio over 20 minutes, because that starts depleting testosterone, increasing cortisol, etc.

Even with weights, to build quickly, work heavy in short time frames (20 minutes).
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have some pretty good books on Keto and weight training, most "weight lifters" eat boat loads of carbs during building training and then use KETO to shed excess pounds and get "thin skinned" before a competition where they show off thier muscles, but if this isnt your goal,, then I would stay in Keto for the health benefits of keto and let yourself feel ok with the idea that your not lifting as much on the bars, but know that the training is building muscles and strength just the same, its easy to get caught up in bigger numbers it is human nature!! but know this you get far more protien needed to build muscles doing keto that most other diets
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal to not lift as heavy on keto. You don't have glycogen in your muscles when on keto. It doesn't mean you aren't getting a good workout, but you don't have the same capacity for high intensity activity on low carb that you would when you do eat carbs. It's believed that capacity for longer endurance type exercise may be improved on keto (once you are keto adapted) as you now have an additional unlimited energy source -- ketones.

I'm not sure that the heart rate question is a keto thing. Seems more like just a general exercise question. Maybe google that one?

The ketogains subreddit has some good info, and guidance for building muscle mass. High level info from ketogains: http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/1k8mxl/how_to_achieve_ketogains_the_simple_method/
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    http://boards.atkins.com/archive/index.php/t-82260.html (from the Atkins site, Colette is the Atkins nutritionist. Rebecca Latham is very knowledgeable)

There's a guy named Jim who lifts weights and competes nationally and I think internationally too while on Atkins....i'll look up his name when I get home today.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    http://kippersdailyworkout.blogspot.com/ check out his blog...he follows Atkins and competes in bodybuilding competitions...nice guy too. He's followed the Atkins carb ladder so his carbs are much higher than keto levels but much lower than traditional bodybuilders/weightlifters. Good luck.