3 Months to go until Seattle Marathon

Options
margieo1983
margieo1983 Posts: 45 Member
Greetings! I will be running my first marathon on Sunday, December 1, in Seattle. Do to a bunch of reasons, my training is seriously lacking.

Question: Is it unrealistic to just say "Hey, I will run what I can but if I have to walk parts, that's okay, too." Can I make it a goal to run half of it (in spurts) and walk the other parts? Or are marathons kind of an all-or-nothing deal?

Thanks!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It's your marathon. Complete it however you wish.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine to walk some of it. But before you resign yourself to walking half the distance, check up on the Galloway system. You'll be surprised how far you can go just walking for 1 minute every mile. You still have 3 months, which is plenty of time to make up for a lack of training over the summer.

Walking or not, completing a marathon is a tremendous accomplishment!
  • margieo1983
    margieo1983 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I picked up a copy of Jeff Galloway's "Marathon" book, but I've only read the first two chapters. I will definitely check out the 1-minute concept.

This week has been going better. I ran 5 miles on Saturday and 5 miles this morning.... so I'm starting to log in some distances.

5 down, 21.2 to go!
  • Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I ran Seattle last year. I'd just found out I was pregnant, and the morning sickness was no joke. It was a hilly race, and I'll likely run it again. You should train as much as you can. Follow a program and stick to it. I'll be running the Yukon Do It marathon on December 29th.... if you"'re game you should join me. It'll be my first marathon back post baby.:)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

^^ Precisely this.

It's YOUR race. Not that speedy-looking girl in the short short's race. Not that super hot guy without a shirt on and only a HRM's race. It's yours. You have to run (or run/walk) it the way you want/can.

Have fun!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you play the expectations game and overcook it, you will not be feeling good after, so stick with a sustainable performance level. Marathons aren't getting outlawed anytime soon - there will always be a "next" one, if you choose to do it.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

^^ Precisely this.

It's YOUR race. Not that speedy-looking girl in the short short's race. Not that super hot guy without a shirt on and only a HRM's race. It's yours. You have to run (or run/walk) it the way you want/can.

Have fun!

We were at the same race?!?! :laugh:
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Seattle Marathon is day 4 of the Seattle Quadzilla, there will be quite a few people doing walk/run or just straight walk.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

^^ Precisely this.

Have fun!

We were at the same race?!?! :laugh:

I thought that was you! So hard to tell since you're wearing your shirt in your MFP pic. :wink:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    GOOD LUCK! HAVE FUN!