About to start, anyone in a similar situayion?

Options
ScubyUK
ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
Question for those doing SL5x5 with a calorie deficit.

I'm 6'4 (1.93m) and currently weigh 250lbs (113kgs), I've lost 100lbs (45kgs) in just under 4 years, haven't seen the inside of a gym for nearly 2.

I'm currently on around 1800 calories a day with a 500 calorie/day deficit, eat incredibly healthy 6 days a week. Macros are 35% Carbs, 20% Protein and 45% fats (limited saturated fat). (Sports Nutritionist put me on those levels and it's working for me.)

I'm looking to build strength and definition and wondering what your calorie consumption\macros are like.

I'm still around 25% Body Fat and have a fair amount of fat to shift, up until now my focus has been on scale weight, that focus has now shifted to body shape/composition.
I've managed to boost my metabolism by changing when and what I eat, but my activity levels are pretty sedentary (Desk Job, long hours).

Anyone in or been in a similar starting point?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Macros don't have much to do with weight loss. Weight loss is purely a caloric deficit...that's why people doing low carb, whose macros would have a low carb, high protein, high fat ratio lose weight (as long as they are eating in a caloric deficit). You could eat Twinkie's all day and as long as you are eating less calories than you need for the day, you will lose weight (this has been done before...Google it).

StrongLifts is a very easy program to follow for strength training and strength training is needed to stave off muscle loss while one is in a caloric deficit.i have been doing it since January of this year and its been great. One issue you will ultimately run into when the weights become heavy, is that eat at a caloric deficit makes it tougher to get stronger faster. You will initially have what's called newbie gains, but that will slow down and things will harder proportionately to your caloric deficit.

All that being said, there are many threads on MFP talking about macro proportions and one of the best groups is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

To riddle that out. The general thought is if you are strength training, then eat about 1 gram of protein per lbs of goal weight (not current weight as some websites say), then fat should be about .35 grams per pound of current body weight. The rest of your calories then to carbs. The group mentioned has many sticky links to read and I would recommend you read them all. There are also threads about TDEE which I follow, which is a little different than how MFP does their calculations, which is how I do it, but that's just personal preference. The moderators of that group can better dial you in on daily calories and macros once you fill out their questionaire.

Note: while there will be some newbie gains as I mentioned as you just starting out lifting, in general, you will not body build (get bigger muscles) without eating at a caloric surplus (again, after newbie gains). The whole point of strength training is to stave off muscle loss while you are at a caloric deficit.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    That's quite a deficit.

I am 6'1" and started my loss in January @ 257. I was eating at 2130 when I started. I am now @ 226 eating at 1950. Just a little over a pound a week loss over the whole time frame. My macros are very similar to yours.

I just started lifting July 1. It started out very easy but became exponentially harder as I got near 100 on the OHP and Bench. Now I am failing regularly. Weight loss is still my #1 concern with preserving what muscle I have left being the reason for lifting.
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm in an almost identical situation. Weighed 288 a few years ago and have brought it down to 214 using calorie deficit and adjusting macros to lower carbs higher fat and protein. My major exercise was walking and bicycling. I just started SL5x5 last week Mondayk will be day 1 of week 2. My biggest challenge so far has been finding a time where the power rack isn't busy (there's only one in the gym). There's a smith machine but Medhi says not to use them and I have to agree. You can add me. It would be interesting to hear from someone at a similar point. My age is 55.
  • ScubyUK
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far.

As i'm about to turn 40 i've now shifted my focus away from Weight Loss (hence the deficit) to body shape/composition. I'd happily stay in the region of my current weight if it meant I was trimmer/leaner and more muscular, but think ill end up around a solid 220-240.

I'm going to be working out at home, will be ordering a power rack next week (none of the gyms near home or work have them.), and take things from there.
  • ShakeyMcGee
    Options
    Listen to what cajuntank said about protein. You will gain muscle in a calorie deficit if you eat enough protein to build the muscle. If you don't eat enough protein you will struggling to retain the muscle you have now.

The link cajuntank provided is an excellent group with helpful moderators. The best group on myfitnesspal in my opinion.

Have fun with the power rack.
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    I am close to the same situation as yourself. I just recently decided that I wanted to stop wasting time on the couch or infront of the computer and get in shape. My first step was to join MFP and so far the community is helpful. One of members that friended me turned me on to SL5x5 and I read the book and watched the videos. After doing what I could with my bow-flex I decided to look into getting a rack, bench and barbell. It should be delivered this week and I can't wait to actually get started. I am totally new to all the nutrition stuff and training in general. So far so good as I feel better and my wife says I look great, I have yet to get back on a scale or take measurements again. I want to actually give my diet and SL5x5 a decent amount of time.
  • ScubyUK
    Options
    I'd recommend taking your measurements before you get started, that way you have a starting point to reference against.

I did my first Workout this morning, Bench Presses were the worst for me, almost didn't make the end of the 5th set.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend taking your measurements before you get started, that way you have a starting point to reference against.

I did my first Workout this morning, Bench Presses were the worst for me, almost didn't make the end of the 5th set.

Unless you have worked out before and are solid with your form, the program calls for starting off with just a 45lbs bar on all exercises. If you have worked out before enough to know your form is solid and your one rep max, you should not have any issues on the program with weight until many weeks into the program. Many many weeks if starting with just the bar.
  • Duayldooky
    Duayldooky Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 1intermittent fasting "diet". I put diet in quotes because it isnt really a diet. It just rearranges a window of when you can eat. No more days of the stereotypical 6 meals a day. Who has time for that anyways? I plan to ride this out for the next 90 days and see what the results are. I am currently beginning Stronglifts 5x5 . This is my third round of stronglifts (not consecutive though, which is my fault. I got lazy) My weight tends to fluctuate over extended periods of working out and being a lazy . I weighed 215 during my fittest day powerlifting in 2011. February of 2012 Started runniing and eating better at this point, but not really working out) May 2012- 238lbs. Currently - 228lbs My goal after all is to get down to around 200lbs by the end of the next 90 days. I will update my weight every Monday and update the pics after every 30 days. Now for the IF schedule:I work out as soon as I get home from work, which is usually 6 p.m. I am up at 5:30 every morning. I tried to get up earlier than that to workout, but I couldnt keep that routine for very long. My Schedule. (16/8 fast/feed)  at 12:00 noon is when the feeding window opens (About 25% of my daily caloric intake) 6:00 p.m. - Workout for 1 hr to 1.25 hrs 7:30 p.m. - Post workout meal (biggest of the day) 8:00 p.m. - Feeding window closes, fasting begins for 16 hrs**This will change depending on when your workout period is. The beauty of the IF program is that you can slide the fast/feed window to fit your schedule. But the website does recommend that you keep the same window everyday.The challenge for me will be keeping up with my diet and the fasting during the weekends. I have scaled back my alcohol consumption to a day or so each week.If you have any questions, just ask. I might not have the answers, but will help if I can. I am learning this as I go. --Duayl