shopping list and couple of questions

Options
kirsty2604
kirsty2604 Posts: 46 Member
hello

what are your shopping clean eating must haves?

also does anyone still have milk? if so do you opt for skimmed, semi skimmed or full fat? I need milk lol

what about cheeses?

thanks

Replies

• Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just a few general staples for me at least : ). Spinach, lettuce, bell peppers, zucchini, cucumber, baby carrots, mushrooms, Brussel sprouts. Any and all veggies are a must have. Fruits...same thing...all the fruits : ) Eggs, ground beef/ground turkey, rib eyes, cod and haddock, coconut oil, cashews, avocado, tuna. That's a start. I pretty much do a protein and a veggie for dinners and leftovers are great for lunch. I don't drink milk and drink my coffee black. But I know that dairy isn't considered horrible depending where it came from, what's in it etc... Are you into organic? I try and buy all organic, but it's not always doable. Check out a local farmers market for produce and meats : )
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Milk is for babies
  • kirsty2604
    Options
    Milk is for babies

I still want it lol
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I buy organic, grass fed, whole milk. Pasteurized, but not homogenized. I use it in my coffee and for cooking, but don't drink it otherwise...unless I'm making a latte.

Cheese, did someone say cheese? Ummm, yes please! :happy:
  • kirsty2604
    Options
    I buy organic, grass fed, whole milk. Pasteurized, but not homogenized. I use it in my coffee and for cooking, but don't drink it otherwise...unless I'm making a latte.

Cheese, did someone say cheese? Ummm, yes please! :happy:

Lol I love cheese - the milk is only for a couple of coffees a day I don't drink it otherwise x
  • kathivg
    kathivg Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi Kristy,

I do not buy items that contain artificial sweetners or use them in my coffee or tea.

I have found that, for me, living in balance is key otherwise I will fail. Balance means having those things I still like, such as real coffee, and cheese, and chocolate. I'm learning that, if I'm going to eat something, I make sure it's really good - top-shelf stuff. The cheap stuff has chemicals and junk in it, but the "good stuff", even though it's expensive, tastes really great. Enjoy those foods when you eat them. Don't rush and don't do anything else. Focus on the flavor, texture, aroma, and appearance.

As far as dairy. I still use it. If I use milk, it's skim, and I try to get the stronger cheeses, as a little bit goes a long way.

I've found that I need to create my own way of eating. There are things that established programs and individuals can offer that will work for me, and then I incorporate them into my life. The point is, for me, to live. To not have food be the center of my universe - which is also the case when I "diet" and restrict myself to the point I'm still thinking about food all the time, but from the other end of the spectrum.
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    I'm going to switch to raw milk but right now I buy organic 2%.

We buy a ton of fruits and veggies for smoothies. Also, organic chicken breasts are a staple here. Oh..Kerrygold grass fed butter is amazing too. LOVE it.

I also live for organic greek yogurts, which have more sugar them in then I should eat but at least it's not an artificial sweetener. I like the superfruit ones and I mix in a 1/4 cup of an organic cereal into it. It's a great snack!
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    here's what I try to keep on hand:

almond/hemp "milk"
    white rice (processed but brown rice does not work with my tum)
    bananas
    oatmeal
    Greek yogurt
    chicken
    chorizo (processed as well, but all my meat is from a butcher that is local/ethical)
    flank steak
    salad greens
    goats cheese
    Kerrygold butter
    coconut oil
    nuts: pistachios, cashews, almonds
    seeds: hemp, sesame, pumpkin, chia
    frozen blueberries
    honey
    maple syrup
    sweet potatoes
    eggs ( from CSA)

the rest of my veggies rotate from my CSA

I get graze boxes delivered to my office and snack on those during the day
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    the whole idea of drinking milk skeeves me out, but sometimes I get whole milk from the farmers market.
  • melba_321
    melba_321 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My staples are generally...

lots of fresh vegetables, fruits and berries
    Organic extra virgin coconut oil
    Fish (not from Asia or the Pacific coast of the US/Canada, when possible, to avoid antibiotics -China mainly and avoiding higher nuclear/petroleum waste levels)
    Poultry (usually breast meat, w/o hormones)
    Bison & Organic grass fed beef
    Elk, Venison & other game meat (when possible)
    organic free range brown eggs
    Almond milk
    Cheeses
    nuts & seeds
    fresh herbs (when possible)
    Organic hormone free 1-2% milk

edit to add: grains I actually buy are quinoa, millet, amaranth & brown rice (yet, it's usually for the rest of the family)
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I try to stick with organic whole foods. I still eat cheese, butter and have milk in my coffee, all full fat. Same with meat, as long as it's organic and hormone free I eat it. I eat wild fish only. Brown rice, quinoa, spelt pasta, whole grain bread and farro cous cous.

Things I can't live without are:
    Coconut water
    Chia seeds
    Almonds
    Eggs
    Avocado
    Spinach
    Blueberries

I just try to eat everything made from scratch, that said if I'm away from home I don't stress it, I simply choose the healthiest option around.
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Almond milk
    Fruit
    Yams
    Veggies
    Vegan burgers
    Rice
    Quinto
    Raw honey
    Spaghetti squash