Camden, NJ Area: OLL Bariatric Surgery Support Group

Options
nickdemarco
nickdemarco Posts: 61 Member
LISTING: This is the Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Camden Bariatric Surgery Support Group. It's run by OLL Hospital's Bariatric Program and Lourdes Surgical Associates (Dr. Bernadette Profeta's office). Meetings are typically held on the third Monday evening of each month from 6:00 - 7:30 pm at the Lourdes Care facility in Cherry Hill, NJ (corner of Brace Road and Route 70 East, use the Route 70 East entryway and find the "Employees Only" entrance). All are welcome, including surgical veterans, surgical candidates, curious prospective patients, and their families and loved ones. Obviously, these details are subject to change, so contact Dana Durso, Durso, DursoD@lourdesnet.org, our fearless facilitator, for more details!

Use this discussion thread to strengthen our community/group. Post your news, reviews of the sessions, and gossip here!

RELATED: The same hospital system and surgical group(s) offer a parallel Support Group on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Willingboro, NJ. Contact Dana for details about that group as well. Patients typically attend one session or another, although some of us have been known to attend both.

Replies

• nickdemarco
    Options
    Monday, June 17 Meeting Report:

Good turnout, lots of fun. Topic was exercise and diet as it related to exercise. We even walked around the Lourdes building. A few technology geeks used their cell phone apps to report that one lap around was a quarter mile. Some of us walked one lap, others did two, and a couple of intrepid walkers speed-walked a third quarter-mile!

Later, just about everyone came away with some cool swag, prizes provided by the hospital for correct answers to a fun and interesting exercise trivia challenge. Thanks to Dana and Vitalese for the content, and the 25 or so attendees for their contributions to the discussion. See you all at the next meeting, on Monday, July 15 at 6:00 pm!

Nick DeMarco
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    Calling all OLL Group Members: Please join this group and drop a note to let us know how you are doing...

Cathy and I are doing well. She's down about 35 lbs., and I'm back losing weight again after a long layoff. See you on the 15th?
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    Meeting TONIGHT!!! Meet at 5:45 pm for a quick mile walk around the building, followed by the meeting. And, I'll be handing out money at the meeting...
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    Lindsay is IN THE HOUSE!

Good meeting last night. Great meeting, in fact! Colleen Naylor, an RN with Lourdes, presented her relaxation exercises and her Setting Intentions "seminar". She's a great speaker - contact her through the hospital! Everyone was sharing, and a few tears welled up in several sets of eyes. Everyone is "doing", if not doing great. See you all next time!
  • poliscmjr
    poliscmjr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm here! Glad to be here! I'm hoping this will help us ALL get to where we need to be!
  • CHC94
    CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Is this meeting for OLL patients only or can anyone who has had bariatric surgery join? I had my surgery in Philly, but I work in NJ until 6 pm. I need to find a group that fits my work schedule and I'm in the general vicinity of your location.
  • CHC94
    Options
    Tomorrow night is my first meeting! I'm so excited!! I finally get to talk to others IRL and find out if I'm being way too careful with my foods or am on the right track...

Is there anything going on earlier - group walk or anything? And is there signage to direct members?

8094722.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • CHC94
    Options
    I went to the meeting tonight and learned a LOT! I also got to meet our mod, Nick & his wife Cathy. Everyone there was very supportive and the best part - I AM on the right track for 2 weeks out of surgery.

Yay!
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    Sorry I've been out of touch! I was blown away to meet someone at our meeting who actually learned about it at this site! We had a great "buffet" of protein sources at the last meeting, and hopefully everyone came away with new ideas to envigorate their protein intake! See you at the next one, Monday, September 16! Contact me if you need info about where and when!

Nick
  • nickdemarco
    Options
    Did anyone attend the September meeting? How was it?