Food Choices

Options
Sassy_Cass
Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
Good morning and happy Day 1!!

Part of this experience we are embarking on is making healthy choices about what we put into our bodies. Not every day has to be filled with protein drinks and watery soups, we can do this with exciting menu choices that are selected carefully to provide us with the most nourishment and fuel for our bodies.

If you come up with an exciting meal or snack that you think others might also enjoy, please feel free to post here :) We can all use a little encouragement now and then and some new recipe ideas.

Curry Chicken Burgers:

1 tbsp yellow curry power (per kg of ground chicken)
1 kg ground chicken
2 green onions finely chopped
A couple sprigs of chive finely chopped

Mix all ingredients together, form into patties and BBQ. Serve with a summer salad and enjoy :smile:

Replies

• Sassy_Cass
    Options
    Calorie choices

This afternoon I cooked up my fiance and his brother some sloppy joe sandwiches, normally I would join in but I was told by a doctor that I have gout (severe sudden onset of arthritis) and as such should reduce a number of things in my diet including red meat. As such, I declined the indulgence and instead made myself up a plate of "clean" foods including, avocado, red bell pepper, concord grapes, pickled beets, laughing cow cheese, triscuits and humus. I then entered my food choices - which were tasty and very satisfying - into the diary. I took a quick moment to compare my choice calorie wise to the boys:

The sloppy joe:

sloppy-joe_zps8974d485.jpg

780 calories!!!!!

My plate:

1edce621-e2a9-4a6d-bc2e-41e1b4289a97_zps13c0604d.jpg

670 calories

Which would you prefer :smile:
  • jmunn95
    jmunn95 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm probably biased because I'm vegan, but the second plate for sure! :)
  • ziggypop93
    ziggypop93 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I made roasted chickpea tacos for dinner tonight with homemade pico de gallo. I made our taco shells out of soft corn tortillas that I fried up, then we layered avocado, roasted chickpeas which I had marinated in spices, lettuce and pico (made with veggies out of my garden). It is a delicious meal and my super picky 3-year old even ate it!

It's so easy to make better choices when they are super tasty. We rarely eat meat and try to stay away from dairy as much as possible too, so I've gotten creative with cooking.
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Second plate. Or all the veggies and fruit from the second plate with a side of sloppy joe meat no bread.

Last night's dinner was delicious...

530 calories- I don't have a picture so here is the break down.
    4oz of ground venison cooked sauteed with 1/4 cup of diced green bell pepper and 1/8th of a diced 1040 sweet onion (these are the size of a soft ball).
    1/4th of a serving of hamburger helper cooked with skim milk and the venison pepper dish.
    2 cups of romaine salad dry.

I love anything with onions and bell pepper. I will eat the peppers plain sauteed or with meat, it just depends on my mood. This was a large meal for me. I normally aim for three 300 calorie meals and three 100 calorie snacks.

One of my favorite snacks right now is:
    1 Crispy Wheat Sea Salt Wheat Crisp (think rice cake)- 14 calories
    1 laughing cow light swiss- 35 calories
    2 tbs of salsa- 10 calories

Make it fresh, the wheat crisps don't stay crisp long, but I love this. I will also make this with cinnamon cream cheese and apple slices, or peanut butter and sliced stawberries. I have been searching for a blackberry jalapeno jelly that I had with cream cheese and crackers once... I think it would be devine with the crispy wheat and laughing cow cheese.

My favorite meal:
    1 cup Pacific Organic Soup- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato -120 calories?
    1 Nature's Own Wheat Sandwich Round- 100 calories
    1 slice of skim provolone or velveeta (depends on how I am feeling)- 90 calories provolone - 40 calories velveeta sliced cheese product.
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Cass have you tried making sloppy joes with ground turkey or chicken instead? Then you can still have it but w/o the guilt! I'm planning on that for my saturday lunch this weekend at my aunt's house. we are having a get together and she is making that with fresh fruit and vegetables, I am making this sugar free jello with cool whip. Here's the link, I don't use a mold though just a bowl:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/low-fat-creamy-strawberry-mold-51173.aspx
  • Sassy_Cass
    Options
    sound tasty - tonight I am doing a baked bbq chicken breast with jasmine rice and mixed steamed veggies. Looking forward to it