September 30 Day Challenge

Options

Replies

• getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I keep fluctuating between 69 and 70. Would like to see 66.9 (or below!). So three kilos...(6-ish pounds) seems achievable. Aim high, right.
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm also in. It's my 11th day on Atkins. At the beginning ( first 7 days) I was losing weight so quickly like 0.8 kg a day ( 1.8 ibs ) and even though I knew its a lot I was so happy and motivated not to cheat and keep myself in ketosis. Then it stopped so I started working out to boost my metabolism, I started eating more fat but there is either no loss at all or 0.2 kg (0.4 ibs) a day.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    .4 lbs per day is really nice, that would ad up to over 3 lbs per week, and thats really great on atkins, remember everyone we all stale and have platues, i sat on a stall for almost 3 weeks last month, only to end up losing 6 lbs, unfortunatly there is no magic bullet to getting weight off, what ever path you chose will take time and lots of it, thats why eating this way has to be a life change and commitment , ( take a few meals off here and there, holiday special occasion or once a week maybe) , other wise you will be right back where you were, and then some, so hang in there, and keep going!
  • StephanieE3456
    StephanieE3456 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm down 2.3 lbs this morning. I always start off strong and then kind of lose momentum about a week in. I'm hoping that by posting here we can all help inspire each other to keep going.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    1334135849995.jpg

I'm in. Another fifteen before October and I can claim a win. I'll definitely need the help / friendly competition.
  • Semifredo
    Options
    My average is 750 kcal a day . For the past 5 days I have eaten less than 5 grams of carbs per day. I feel fine, not dizzy or anything, I'm on holidays so I stay at home all day. I workout every second day ( weights+ cardio) . Do I eat too little ? Am I not losing weight because my body is in starvation mode?
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    My average is 750 kcal a day . For the past 5 days I have eaten less than 5 grams of carbs per day. I feel fine, not dizzy or anything, I'm on holidays so I stay at home all day. I workout every second day ( weights+ cardio) . Do I eat too little ? Am I not losing weight because my body is in starvation mode?

I'm not a doctor, but I work for many. I just asked the one who's my boss, and he says that "(Hypothetically), While everyone's physiology is different, 750 is most likely too few to be healthy, and a stall due to starvation is quite likely."

However, if you're doing Atkins the focus should really be on your carbs, and not your calories. Five grams per day sounds like not enough salad vegetables. During induction you should be closer to 18-20 grams of carbs per day. But for goodness' sake, make sure you're eating your three cups of veggies a day and drinking enough water. And please, please, please never forget a good daily multivitamin / multi-mineral.

This is just my personal opinion, but I would increase the calories to at least 1000-1200 (healthy fats and protein), and increase the cardio workouts to five times per week, even if it's just 30-45 of power walking on those "extra days".

Be well, be safe, be happy!
  • Semifredo
    Options
    Yes, I am drinking plenty of water and taking a multivitamin. I know that 750 sounds very low but the thing is that I feel well. Maybe its because I spend all day at home thus I dont have much activity this week. Nevertheless, I finished my day today with 1030 kcal ( 11 g of carbs ) :) I want to see if it will boost my metabolism a little
  • timwhoa
    Options
    Look if your in a stall or plateau , do the atkins FAT FAST many of us use the FAT FAST to get the scale moving downward, it works every time, many of us in the KETO group use the fat fast to break stalls, I was on a plateau for 3 weeks in august and used the fat fast to break it, lost 6 pounds in 4 days on it, works everytime, in the keto group there are many posts on the FAT fast, check it out
  • timwhoa
    Options
    Another thing to remember, if you have never read the Atkins book, i recomend you do so, he says on induction to NOT count calories, you need to allow yourself to EAT on atkins, enjoy the foods that are allowed, a BIG STEAK!!! EGGS!!! and more,, only count your carbs, ,, counting carbs and calories is WORK!! work that doenst need to be done, the beauty of atkins the NOT being hungry, its being satisfied and losing weight,,
    SORRY for the CAPS!!! i feel like making POINTS today,, lol
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Day 3 of restarting induction after I cheated over the weekend! (Vodka haha). 2 weeks ago in induction I lost 5 lbs, now I need 15 more til my goal weight! Hope it happens soon :).
  • StephanieE3456
    StephanieE3456 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm down 1.4 this morning for a total of 3.7 in the last two days. I'm feeling strong today. I hope my willpower and motivation sticks until the end of the month.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join your challenge? I need a kick in the butt!! I would love to be in the 170s by October 1. That would be amazing!! I do a combination of keto/low carb/atkins.

Thank you!
  • jillg89
    jillg89 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in for this challenge. Starting Day 1 of Induction today... I was doing very well w/this program earlier this spring/summer and then decided to "enjoy" myself a bit this last month.

Time to get back on track. Can not wait until the "no craving" stage kicks back in. I miss that!
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm always down! Extended induction continues..

Saying my starting weight this time because I never remember what it was at the end of the challenge lol.

Starting weight: 165 pounds
    Ending weight: 145 pounds if not at the end of the month, by October 13th which is the Carnival i'm prepping for.
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Another thing to remember, if you have never read the Atkins book, i recomend you do so, he says on induction to NOT count calories, you need to allow yourself to EAT on atkins, enjoy the foods that are allowed, a BIG STEAK!!! EGGS!!! and more,, only count your carbs, ,, counting carbs and calories is WORK!! work that doenst need to be done, the beauty of atkins the NOT being hungry, its being satisfied and losing weight,,
    SORRY for the CAPS!!! i feel like making POINTS today,, lol

Calories should still be monitored even if not obsessed about though. Too many calories can be counter productive i.e. don't pig out either!

How many calories can I consume in Induction?

You count grams of Net Carbs, not calories, in all phases of Atkins. But that's not to say that calories don't count. Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expend for activity, thermogenesis (the body's own heat production) and other metabolic functions.

If you don't eat sufficient fat (or protein) in a misguided effort to cut calories, you'll feel tired—and ravenous, which will sooner or later undermine your weight loss efforts. On the other hand, consuming too many calories clearly hampers weight loss.

Tip: Consider the first two weeks as a period of total commitment, during which you give yourself over completely to this new way of eating. Seek support wherever you can, including the Atkins Community forums.

A daily minimum for women losing weight on Atkins typically ranges from 1,500 to 1,800 calories; for men, the minimum range is 1,800 to 2,000 calories. Research has shown that on a low-carb program, more calories are burned than on a low-fat diet, and that people eating the Atkins way tend to naturally consume fewer calories than those on a low-fat program. But understand that this does not give you a license to gorge.

There's no need to count calories unless you don't start (or stop) losing weight, in which case you're probably consuming too many; or if you feel tired all the time, in which case, you're not consuming enough.
  • deneeneh
    deneeneh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :explode: :explode: I didn't really commit to the August challenge but I am all in for the September challenge. Hopefully I can lose at least 15 pounds this month, I have a wedding to attend on 10/12.
  • timwhoa
    Options
    its interesting to me how after atkins death , his books were rewritten by his staff, now dont get me wrong the new books are very good compared to other diets ( our low carb dieters opinions) But,,,,, Atkins old books never really talked about "NET" carbs and fiber ( he only talked about phsicun husks to stop plug ups) ,, atkins was a big fan on not counting calories, his idea was that your appitite would drop off so severely that you would eat less calories, and it did work this way, what happens with many people is they turn into big time label readers and they count carbs, and net carbs and fiber and then the diet turns into a work sheet, and next thing you know weight loss slows or stops because in the end we may not know just how many of those so called "net carbs" are really being injested or not???? Atkins himself in his Old Books, didnt play this way, the old atkins diets were more boring Ill give you that, harder to stay on longer,, yes, So, what am I trying to say, its this, if you cannot stomach the Old way of doing atkins then by all means use the new books, and do more work with the pen and paper, or be like me, and go the old route, only count carb grams, and EAT!!!!! yea eat till your full, eat till your content, and lose weight,
    OH and welcome on board the september challenge group new people, this thread will be here all month for us to post our good and our not so good daily happenings as we go thru the month trying to make individual goals, what ever yours is in this month, the winners is anyone who loses weight because you did what you needed to do to make it happen, there is plenty of time for you to make induction work, or make your fat fast work, or make your Keto work, , JUST DO IT!!!
    thanks for lending your ear
    have a super day
    TIm
  • yasiralnakib
    Options
    I am in, I lost 15.4 lb in august 21 days atkins challange, and would like to lose 20 lb in september run wish me good luck
  • deneeneh
    deneeneh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how your macros should be set up if your following atkins...want to make sure I am getting the proper fat? Thanks