Fiber - yes or no?

Options
kikih64
kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dietary-fiber-is-bad-for-sex-thats-the-only-claim-about-it-that-isnt-a-myth/#axzz2dvXHvim3

Did anyone else read this article on Mark's Daily Apple? I've been stressing so much about not getting enough fiber from my Paleo diet, and then I read this. Just looking for other's thoughts on the topic. Thanks!!

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Reddit has a great thread going discussing it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1lolqu/end_the_fiber_fantasy_everything_you_dont_want_to/

Crazy. Another case where the conventional wisdom is possibly doing more harm than good.
  • kikih64
    Options
    I'll check that out. It's just sad that we don't know what to believe. We want to trust our doctors, but they are fed all this information too. The whole food pyramid and everything. I also read another article on Mind Body Green about all the government funding for meat and dairy, and how our demand for meat is too much to keep up with supply and not sustainable. They were promoting vegetarian/vegan lifestyles. Mind-boggling.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I read the article but I must admit, I'm not going to pay all that much attention to it. Since starting paleo and eliminating all the gut/intestinal inflammation foods, I feel much better and have no issues where the bathroom is concerned. In fact, I would say my visits have become more predictable and easier. So unless all of a sudden I'm having trouble or am feeling unwell, I will not be stressing about my fiber intake too much.
  • kikih64
    Options
    Thanks Shannon! I feel great too and have no digestive-related problems. Maybe you hit it on the head. Eat as clean as we can, then just trust our own bodies!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Wow...I'm completely disgusted right now and if I ate cereal (or any grains, for that matter), I would not be buying Kellog's products anymore!
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shannon! I feel great too and have no digestive-related problems. Maybe you hit it on the head. Eat as clean as we can, then just trust our own bodies!

Trusting our bodies and how we feel is really the only thing that people should pay attention to. Once I'm feeling awesome, I am awesome.

When I first started paleo I was stressing constantly about what I was doing that was right from wrong, but now I'm plenty more relaxed as I've gotten the hang of things and I learnt quickly that if it's for you, you will feel great. If not, go back to what you were doing before. Once you're happy, and your body is happy that's all that matters.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    any ideas on what to do with my flaxseed meal now? lol
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Ah ha, I finally found the post...

I don't care one bit how much fibre I get. The amount that I get from my veggies is obviously more than enough. Some days I don't even eat many veggies. If the Inuit survived in the Arctic without fibre, I'm pretty sure that I will be ok. In fact, pre lifestyle change I was getting far more fibre in my unhealthy diet and I can assure you that my intestinal health was FAR from good.

(I just threw out my flaxseed meal-brand new unopened package. I thought it was "healthy" at one time, but like so many things, I was lied to. Omega 3s should come from animals primarily.)
  • Rei1988
    Options
    maybe I can feed it to birds.... or use it in soil/compost?
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would ban over the counter fibre products if I could.

If it makes you feel any better, my friend has basically lived off fibre product for several years because she couldn't have a BM with out them. And sadly every time she went back to her doctor they told her she wasn't getting enough fibre. They gave her more fibre and stronger laxatives so was using more and stronger products to get the same results. Shes 25 and otherwise skinny "heatlhy" and fit btw. I told her all about how the "benefits" of fibre were actually making it worse so she switched to a paleo diet and rocked out the coconut oil...and guess who doesn't need nasty fibre and laxatives any more. If that's not proof I don't know what is.
  • Rei1988
    Options
    wow thanks for sharing nicky, good to know it really does work!