Let's talk sleep

Options
I know it's important and I struggle to get good sleep. My room is too light, warm, and loud. I have anxiety attacks when I'm half asleep and stay up way too late. I know all of these things are keeping me from good, healthy paleo sleep habits. What do you do to make your sleep environment appealing and ideal? Any advice? Tips? Tricks? I know if I slept better I would have more energy to exercise and feel better.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    1. Healthy diet
    2. Black out shades
    3. Turn the heat down
    4. No noise, or a soothing noise only
    5. Allow enough TIME for adequate sleep
    6. No stimulants after noon
    7. No tv or electronics
    8. Sleep in the bed only (well maybe sex too) -no computer, no telephone etc
    9. Hot bath pre bed time
    10. Meditation/relaxation exercises
    11. Read something inspirational/relaxing before shutting out the light.
    12. Supplement with melatonin.
    13. If you don't fall asleep in a short time, get up, go out and do something (but not watch tv, or computer), then when feeling tired, try again.

I used to have sleep problems in a bad way. I NEED sleep, and all else is secondary imo. Fortunately, my diet has resolved pretty much all of my sleep problems so much so that of the tips that I shared I only follow 6 to 9 items of the above list on most nights. #1 through 5 are ALWAYS. I get no less than 8 hours sleep per night and as much as 10 if I need it.

You have already identified things that are not helping you sleep, but you haven't indicated that you have changed your behaviour. If you don't plan to change, why ask for tips? :huh:
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    We sleep with a fan on now for 'white noise'. It seems really strange without it now. :)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I average 5.5 hours a night because I have to get up at 3:30 a.m. to train...I'm definitely not the person to talk to about this :grumble:
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm going to run a fan for sure, for some reason my bedroom is a good 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house in summer- so annoying. I need to look into covering the window with something more. Thank you all, I know my quality of life would be so much better if I'd focus and put sleep first.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    1. Healthy diet
    2. Black out shades
    3. Turn the heat down
    7. No tv or electronics
    9. Hot bath pre bed time
    13. If you don't fall asleep in a short time, get up, go out and do something (but not watch tv, or computer), then when feeling tired, try again.

I used to have sleep problems in a bad way. I NEED sleep, and all else is secondary imo. Fortunately, my diet has resolved pretty much all of my sleep problems so much so that of the tips that I shared I only follow 6 to 9 items of the above list on most nights. #1 through 5 are ALWAYS. I get no less than 8 hours sleep per night and as much as 10 if I need it.

You have already identified things that are not helping you sleep, but you haven't indicated that you have changed your behaviour. If you don't plan to change, why ask for tips? :huh:

I'm asking because I'm struggling. I am looking for new ideas about what other people are doing and reminding myself that yes, other people have to make an effort to sleep well too.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    1. Healthy diet
    2. Black out shades
    3. Turn the heat down
    7. No tv or electronics
    9. Hot bath pre bed time

I'm asking because I'm struggling. I am looking for new ideas about what other people are doing and reminding myself that yes, other people have to make an effort to sleep well too.

Ok, my bad. I have a serious case of Tiger Blood going on and being stuck at my desk is driving me to insanity. I hope that you find some things that help. I am no newbie to sleep struggles but diet was the biggest factor. I also live in the Arctic so blocking out light is a MUST and everyone does it; well, everyone that has a job and doesn't have the luxury of sleeping whenever they want that is.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have blackout curtains, white noise and a cool bedroom and I have issues with sleep myself.

The only thing I find that makes a big difference is shutting of screens (particularly my cellphone, computer and TV screens) 30 minutes before I intend to turn lights out. If I go into the bedroom and check my phone while a lamp is on my brain will wake up. I need to have not looked at a screen for at least 30 minutes, and the last light I turn off can't be fluorescent (like any of the screens I mentioned). I find that at times when I use my phone for a light while Hubby's already asleep I can't sleep. I need real light last.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    white noise does help, I have a fan every night of the year, also I found Naturally Calm helps, its a magnesium drink that relaxes you before bed, helps with anxiety and your magnesium levels...but since going paleo I sleep right through night and up early no problem, hate falling asleep so early though lol