Am I doing something wrong?

Options
I readjusted my TDEG goal's 3 weeks ago and since I have a lot of weight to lose it has me eating right at my BMR. First week I lost 2lbs but last 2 weeks the scale hasn't budged at all and this week it actually went up :( I am getting a little discouraged.
I have been going to my 45min TRX/Weight MRT HIIT class 4-5 times a week and walking 3-4 times a week for 30 min. The only thing according to the spreadsheet that I may have not done well is eat at TDEE 1 day a week. I am very sore this week since each month starts a new working out regimen so maybe some of the weight gain is water retention from being sore.

Current Weight 268 (couldnt add the gain to MFP)
Goal Weight 165
Height 5'8.5
BMR 1827
TDEE 2876
TDEG 1896

Is this normal or am I doing this all wrong?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If it went up, then you gained water weight, likely from invalid weigh-in time, or because body finally has enough food to make improvements with.

HIIT is a total carb burning workout. Your body improves by storing more glucose for next time. That stores with water. Water weight increase.
    But at least in this case it's good and valid, increased LBM, and increased metabolism.

You need to do that 1 day weekly TDEE level to keep your hormones in check, that's the reason for that.

But most is normal, so keep at it.

And yes to being sore.

Only valid weigh-in and measurement time is morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels not sore from prior workout.
    Anything else might be interesting but also has unknown false weight gain or loss and measurement fluctuations and therefore not valid for figuring anything out.

Also looked over diary, partial diary logs also aren't going to help to know if you are actually doing it or not.
    It is easily possible to wipe out half a weekly deficit by overeating on the weekend.
  • yourfriendchristine
    Options
    If it went up, then you gained water weight, likely from invalid weigh-in time, or because body finally has enough food to make improvements with.

HIIT is a total carb burning workout. Your body improves by storing more glucose for next time. That stores with water. Water weight increase.
    But at least in this case it's good and valid, increased LBM, and increased metabolism.

You need to do that 1 day weekly TDEE level to keep your hormones in check, that's the reason for that.

But most is normal, so keep at it.

And yes to being sore.

Only valid weigh-in and measurement time is morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels not sore from prior workout.
    Anything else might be interesting but also has unknown false weight gain or loss and measurement fluctuations and therefore not valid for figuring anything out.

Also looked over diary, partial diary logs also aren't going to help to know if you are actually doing it or not.
    It is easily possible to wipe out half a weekly deficit by overeating on the weekend.

Thanks heybales! I know I have to get better at the diary on the weekends. I will keep doing what I am doing. One good thing is I do have my energy back and my skin is looking great.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    How do your clothes feel?? Have you taken measurements? ? Scales dont show the whole story :)
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    After this past weekend, I weighed in at 133 (a gain of 5 lbs. I splurged but not enough to gain 5 lbs). Today I was down to 126.5 (a loss of a half-pound from last week). Over the weekend I had barbeque two days in a row and a slice of pizza (I don't normally eat bread).

Anyway, point of that is don't worry about too much about it. Personally I weigh daily so I can understand the patterns and not freak when I put on a little water weight.
  • yourfriendchristine
    Options
    How do your clothes feel?? Have you taken measurements? ? Scales dont show the whole story :)

Thanks! Clothes are still fitting and I am noticing some more defined muscle definition in my arms and legs. I do need measure again soon but I was trying to hold out until I finished 4 weeks. Easier to hold off on measuring unfortunately then it is on hopping on the scale.
  • yourfriendchristine
    Options
    After this past weekend, I weighed in at 133 (a gain of 5 lbs. I splurged but not enough to gain 5 lbs). Today I was down to 126.5 (a loss of a half-pound from last week). Over the weekend I had barbeque two days in a row and a slice of pizza (I don't normally eat bread).

Anyway, point of that is don't worry about too much about it. Personally I weigh daily so I can understand the patterns and not freak when I put on a little water weight.

Thank you for the encouragement! I am weighing daily just so I can understand what is happening with my weight and so I don't freak out more later. I guess I am already freaking out but I am going to stay with what I am doing and I am sure the scale will drop again soon.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Those next set of measurements (don't forget to use the Progress tab before you enter them) will also help point out if the bodyfat % is a wide range between calcs, which side of the range might be more correct.

If one calc drops a little, and one a lot, the little side of the range is probably more correct. But still use the avg of the 2.

Which because of that effect, you literally could see the avg BF% go up, though all measurements went down.

Don't be discouraged, just means you were really higher to start with, just becoming more accurate, and you lost inches and BF no matter what the estimates say.

That may also change your eating levels somewhat.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options

Thanks! Clothes are still fitting and I am noticing some more defined muscle definition in my arms and legs. I do need measure again soon but I was trying to hold out until I finished 4 weeks. Easier to hold off on measuring unfortunately then it is on hopping on the scale.

I havent lost any weight... but my body has changed... and iive lost cms... its good enough for me... what im doing now is eating to fuel my muscle growth....