Whole 30 sept

2»

Replies

• climberchic
    climberchic Posts: 83 Member
    Hey everyone!! I actually started in August and I am on Day 18 right now. It really hasn't been that tough and I think it is one of the best decisions. I'm going to do another 30 when this is over but I think I'm going to get the book, It starts with food. Good luck everyone!!
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Hey all -

I'm on Day4 of my Whole30 - started Tuesday after Labor Day. This is my third - I did one 6 months ago, and another 6 months before that. I didn't plan it that way, but I'm liking the Whole30-every-6-months pattern.

:)
    Amy
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Is the Whole30 the best way to start Paleo?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Is the Whole30 the best way to start Paleo?

I think it is.

But, I was Primal for a full year before doing a Whole30. I was very mentally resistant to giving up dairy but it was a goal for a full year and then I did it.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    I knew that eating grains on holiday wouldn't be great for me hadn't quite realised how bad it would be, 6 weeks of eating grains I put on 17lbs (eating a normal calorie intake) 6 days of whole 30 I've dropped 8lbs of them. I usually eat primal, I've read the books I know that primal/paleo works but seeing just how much water I carry if eating grains is really quite shocking!
  • climberchic
    climberchic Posts: 83 Member
    Day 24 for me! I really enjoy what I've been eating an Monday I FINALLY started running again after months of slacking. I'm very excited about that. 6 more days and I can update my progress. How is everyone else doing so far?
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    I think I've got a bit obsessed about this whole 30 gig. I forgot my lunch today and am stressing about what I can eat in work.

options are limited, could have soup, but I don't know what sort of oil they've used. Generally no flour as they keep it suitable for celiacs. Could have salad, but again, these may have dressings and I can't attest to oils used.

Not looking for advise, only I can go pick up the best choice. Just frustrated at myself for not getting my butt out of bed early enough to bring my normal packed lunch in! This is where I fell the last time I tried to do a whole 30, I had satay chicken. It's on the menu today, but I'm wise to it. I know it's peanuts (not that I didn't the last time, I just didn't think peanuts, I thought nuts, sure they're fine)

Hope everyone else is getting on well. I'm great with energy, cravings, etc... only sometimes I eat too many nuts. My digestion is a little off too, but not so I'd worry about it. Just a bit odd, especially given I was already essentially primal.
  • Anyone still having success? I plan on starting the Whole30 tomorrow. I also looked in to the PB 21 day transformation, but since I can do without the dairy, I figured the Whole30 makes more sense. I look forward to updates from those who are still going strong!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Hey everyone! I'm on day 6 and am feeling great. I'm nervous that I'll wake up tomorrow and be ravenous and want to eat everything imaginable - is this phase coming? I was eating pretty terribly before I started Whole30 and haven't had a hard time adjusting thus far, thankfully! How's everyone else feeling who has already started? And if you're starting 9/1, good luck!!
    My first (and only, so far) Whole30 was amazing in that it stabilized my blood sugar for the first time in years. Before paleo, I had to have protein every couple of hours or got shaky and woozy. After a week or so of the Whole30, I could go 12 hours or more with no problems. I was never hungry. I started logging calories only to make sure I got enough. If I just listened to my body I'd be contented with 600-800 calories a day and from everything I've read, that's not enough.

When my carbs approach 100g in a day I start feeling hungry and my blood sugar levels aren't as stable.

HTH.
  • _Amy_Budd
    Anyone still having success? I plan on starting the Whole30 tomorrow. I also looked in to the PB 21 day transformation, but since I can do without the dairy, I figured the Whole30 makes more sense. I look forward to updates from those who are still going strong!

I'm still going... Today was day 12. :)
  • I'm half though the first day and feeling like total crap :frown: I'm nauseous with a major headache. Peppermint oil is helping a little, but I knew that this was coming and I know it will pass. I have zero appetite, but will do my best to meet my daily goals.
  • I'm half though the first day and feeling like total crap :frown: I'm nauseous with a major headache. Peppermint oil is helping a little, but I knew that this was coming and I know it will pass. I have zero appetite, but will do my best to meet my daily goals.
    This will all pass soon.
    I am on week 6 of a whole 30 and it's going great,I'm doing an Auto Immune Whole 30.
    Get lots of rest and be gentle with yourself.
    This will all pass soon.
    I am on week 6 of a whole 30 and it's going great,I'm doing an Auto Immune Whole 30.
    Get lots of rest and be gentle with yourself.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm just chillin' in the bed today.
  • I sort of backed into Whole30 a week ago. For me, it only meant dropping the booze, dairy and super dark chocolate (boo-hoo). I had been LCHF (low carb/high fat) since end of June during which I had stopped all grains and was eating mostly grass fed meat/butter/cheese/ghee, organic everything, raw milk yogurt (homemade). But I was losing no weight and not feeling like I had gotten anywhere on joint pain, sleep or overall well being. Then I read Robb Wolf, Mark Sasson's PB and finally Whole30. Without the dairy, I can't see any reasonable way of doing LCHF anyway.

Changes for me in the past week have been striking:
    - I sleep soundly, deeply, a full 8 hours
    - I feel more alert, sharp, no drowsy spells, more energetic
    - Most of all, I am a candidate for double hip replacement -- I have been walking with substantially reduced pain and more flexibility for longer strides the past few days.

It is still too early to come to conclusions (like "it's the dairy") but I am really encouraged and hopeful.
  • I sort of backed into Whole30 a week ago. For me, it only meant dropping the booze, dairy and super dark chocolate (boo-hoo). I had been LCHF (low carb/high fat) since end of June during which I had stopped all grains and was eating mostly grass fed meat/butter/cheese/ghee, organic everything, raw milk yogurt (homemade). But I was losing no weight and not feeling like I had gotten anywhere on joint pain, sleep or overall well being. Then I read Robb Wolf, Mark Sasson's PB and finally Whole30. Without the dairy, I can't see any reasonable way of doing LCHF anyway.

Changes for me in the past week have been striking:
    - I sleep soundly, deeply, a full 8 hours
    - I feel more alert, sharp, no drowsy spells, more energetic
    - Most of all, I am a candidate for double hip replacement -- I have been walking with substantially reduced pain and more flexibility for longer strides the past few days.

It is still too early to come to conclusions (like "it's the dairy") but I am really encouraged and hopeful.
    Just a quick note to say that I do low carb/high fat without dairy and there are lots of others who do the same on here.
    It's a matter of eating fatty meats,coconut oil,nuts,olive oil,etc.
    It's not difficult for me at all.
    Hope you continue to feel great from the whole 30.
    I am on week 6 and feel really good but still waiting on some improvements (hip bursitis being the main one)
    I would say you can notice results from different issues within days of starting a whole 30.
    I hear it all the time.
    All the best on this journey
  • Just a quick note to say that I do low carb/high fat without dairy and there are lots of others who do the same on here.
    I am on week 6 and feel really good but still waiting on some improvements (hip bursitis being the main one)
    I would say you can notice results from different issues within days of starting a whole 30.
    I hear it all the time.

That's great and thank you for sharing that! Are you seeing any improvements? Are your meats grass fed, organic, etc?
  • Just a quick note to say that I do low carb/high fat without dairy and there are lots of others who do the same on here.
    I hear it all the time.

That's great and thank you for sharing that! Are you seeing any improvements? Are your meats grass fed, organic, etc?
    I am seeing improvements,the main issue I deal with is leaky gut and it's going well.
    I don't have access to much grass fed meat but I can at least get antibiotic/hormone free and free range.
    Most of my vegetables are organic as well.
  • I work at an office 8a - 6p and dinner is the only meal I eat at home during the week. I have taken to bringing stuff to the office for meals or to supplement what I take-out locally. What I bring to the office:
    - Semi-hard boiled eggs (I like the yokes on the creamy side, not dry)
    - Cans and more cans of sardines, mackerel and kippers, all in olive oil. I eat one per day, great for protein and omega-3
    - Almond butter
    - Celery sticks, prewashed and cut (great with almond butter), carrots
    - Various nuts & seeds
    - My homemade flank steak beef jerky
    - Apples
    - Avocados

Today's satisfying breakfast:
    - 1/4 Avocado
    - 1 boiled egg
    - 1 can Trader Joe's Smoked Sardines
    - Cuppa black

Planned lunch:
    - Chopped salad (arugula, chicken breast, artichoke hearts, cuke, carrot,, broccoli etc) with lemon & olive oil dressing

Planned Dinner:
    - NY strip steak, 6 oz and light salad

Planned Snacks:
    - apple
    - celery with almond butter
  • _Amy_Budd
    Anyone still going? I'm just completed day 25 - 5 more days to go! :)
  • 4miles, you're done now, right? Congrats, how did it go for you?

8 more days to go here. Weight loss seems to have accelerated to about 2 lbs per week, which is more than fine as far as I am concerned. Two new treats in my arsenal have helped me along:

- homemade gf beef & wild salmon jerkys
    - homemade energy bars (recipe courtesy of mark sisson's site).
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    4miles, you're done now, right? Congrats, how did it go for you?

8 more days to go here. Weight loss seems to have accelerated to about 2 lbs per week, which is more than fine as far as I am concerned. Two new treats in my arsenal have helped me along:

Not to nitpick, but I thought that paleo baked goods (like energy bars) weren't part of the Whole30. Just sayin.
  • 4miles, you're done now, right? Congrats, how did it go for you?

Not to nitpick, but I thought that paleo baked goods (like energy bars) weren't part of the Whole30. Just sayin.

Whoops! I guess my reputation for skimming lightly over instructions (which often don't make it out of the box) is deserved.