Thoughts on Total Immersion

Options
wild_wild_life
wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
Hi, I am new to swimming for exercise and have been reading a lot about the Total Immersion technique. I bought the self-coaching DVD and am about halfway through the lessons. I have also read some criticism of the style and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions about it. I still struggle with the 2 beat kick, but it has helped me immensely with balance in the water and moving and breathing more efficiently. My goal is to become a good enough swimmer that I can hop in the pool for an hour and get a good workout. Part of me also worries about being "too efficient" if my goal is to get a good workout, but I don't think I'll need to worry about that for awhile . . . Thanks in advance!

Replies

• wild_wild_life
    Options
    Bump . . . No opinions? That's cool . . .
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm on board with the critics. In theory, it seems efficient, but in any practical situation, the technique must yield to more traditional approaches. I didn't say anything at first because this topic is known to start internet brawls.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    Lol, thanks for your response. Don't worry, I will keep the virtual bar stools firmly anchored to the floor. I can say it has been really helpful for me as a beginner. I am planning to take the techniques and tweak them to where it feels right for me. I think I do a little better with slightly less rotation and a shallower spear, for instance. Part of the fun of it is trying different things and comparing the results.

My apartment overlooks the pool in my complex and I really enjoy watching the different styles of "swimming" that go on. Most people just paddle around, but some have strokes that I can actually learn from -- to do's and to not do's. That's not creepy is it? I usually leave the binoculars inside . . .
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    My sister does TI. I don't, because I want a good hard workout. Is that nuts? But that's my reasoning.

Plus, I enjoy a good splash.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    My sister does TI. I don't, because I want a good hard workout. Is that nuts? But that's my reasoning.

Plus, I enjoy a good splash.

Yeah, I thought about that too. Maybe if this seems too "effortless" I will try to add things for a better workout. Weighted swimsuit? Instant jello?
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Try using a tether, that adds resistance and you don't have the brief break at the turn.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    When I started swimming at 310# I used zip fins to help distribute the effort and keep my lower body more planer.
    100# later I only use the zip fins for kick board laps and my form is such that my butt is practically out of the water for front crawl.
  • fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like total immersion techniques for my drills and warm ups. I like being efficient, it helps avoid injury. I have also done a fair bit of swim coaching and I find total immersion techniques can turn a non swimmer into a swimmer quite quickly.

Having said that, it does not work for every one and I totally understand people who don't like it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh yeah.
    total full immersion.
    yeah.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    I find total immersion techniques can turn a non swimmer into a swimmer quite quickly.

That has definitely been my experience. I am only halfway through the self coaching DVD and have improved from sort of "faking it" to the point where I can actually swim freestyle confidently and continuously. I am very grateful to TI for making that possible, whatever its drawbacks.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I swim using TI techniques almost exclusively. Although I'm sure my form can still use improving, as you mentioned I like the fact that I can swim continuously. I swim in an Endless Pool - so no flip turns, no stopping. I also use a Polar FT4 HRM and have found that my calorie burn for a 30 minute swim is about 180-200 calories, a bit on the low side based on the calculators out there. Could be inaccuracies of using an HRM in the water or could be because of the TI techniques. Either way, I swim because I enjoy it and not necessarily to get the biggest calorie burn possible.