Loestrin 24

bellaa_x0
bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
So I went to my doctor on Friday and she did both blood work and a sonogram - should get the blood work results back by the end of this week. My sonogram shows the typical multiple follicles associated with PCOS. I have always had an irregular period and been on the pill in order to regulate it. I stopped taking the pill back in Janaury since I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I put on so much weight in such a short time and was hardly losing despite all of my efforts. In February, I found out I had a dermoid cyst the size of a grapefruit, which I had removed in March. I have not gone back to the pill since. However, she said if I don't get my period in September that she wants me to start Loestrin 24 in October. Have any of you with PCOS taken Loestrin 24? I am very skeptical to taking any form of BCP since I don't want to put on any more additional weight! :sad:

Replies

• I was on Loestrin 24 before and didn't have any issues with weight gain or any of the other side effects I had gotten from other birth controls. I'm currently on Lo Loestrin just b/c I really didn't want to add any more hormones into my body than I have to. If it doesn't help in the way we are hoping, my doc will then change me to the Loestrin 24.
  • bellaa_x0
    oh thank you so much! really appreciate the response :) also relieved to hear your experience with it! hopefully if i have to start it i won't have any issues either
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    I would ask for a different one.

Birth control pills are not all created the same. It gets complicated, but some have high androgenic activity. In other words, some have the effect of increasing androgens (male hormones like testosterone). Others are considered "low androgen". Women with PCOS generally have high androgen levels so you don't want to increase that problem by using a birth control pill that is not low androgen. High androgen levels contribute to most of the problems PCOS women have like acne, excess hair where you don't want it, and hair loss. On the spectrum from low to high androgen, Loestrin is on the high end making it a bad choice for a PCOS woman so I would ask her if you can pick one from the low end!

Below is a list of birth control pills ranging from lowest androgen index to highest:

Desogen, Ortho-Cept, Ortho-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Micronor, Nor-Q D, Ovcon-35, Brevicon/Modicon, Ortho Norvum 7/7/7, Ortho Novum 10-11, Tri-Norinyl, Norinyl and Ortho 1/35, Demulen 1/35, Triphasil/Tri-Levien, Nordette, Lo/Ovral, Ovrette, Ovral, Loestrin1/20, Loestrin 1.5/30.
  • bellaa_x0
    I would ask for a different one.

Birth control pills are not all created the same. It gets complicated, but some have high androgenic activity. In other words, some have the effect of increasing androgens (male hormones like testosterone). Others are considered "low androgen". Women with PCOS generally have high androgen levels so you don't want to increase that problem by using a birth control pill that is not low androgen. High androgen levels contribute to most of the problems PCOS women have like acne, excess hair where you don't want it, and hair loss. On the spectrum from low to high androgen, Loestrin is on the high end making it a bad choice for a PCOS woman so I would ask her if you can pick one from the low end!

Below is a list of birth control pills ranging from lowest androgen index to highest:

Desogen, Ortho-Cept, Ortho-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Micronor, Nor-Q D, Ovcon-35, Brevicon/Modicon, Ortho Norvum 7/7/7, Ortho Novum 10-11, Tri-Norinyl, Norinyl and Ortho 1/35, Demulen 1/35, Triphasil/Tri-Levien, Nordette, Lo/Ovral, Ovrette, Ovral, Loestrin1/20, Loestrin 1.5/30.

thanks! this is helpful :) however, i just got my period! so no pill for me (for now at least) - YAY!
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    My best weight loss was on Loestrin 1/20. I lost 30 pounds in three months. Nutrition and treadmill was included in that, though. :) Right after I got off it is when I got pregnant (planned).