Reaction to scale

Options
I did my weigh in today and discovered that I gained 3lbs. Intellectually I know all the reasons why--I've been gaining muscle, doing super high intensity workouts, I had vodka. I logically understand that I have not gained 3lbs of fat and there are other factors. I just wanted to be able to say it made me want to cry and then give up. I should probably mention that I'm just coming back from a 7 month spiral of binge eating and guilt.

Emotion and logic make it hard to coexist in my mind since I am an emotional eater. My very logical brain is telling me RIGHT NOW that I mostly maintained my weight and ate all the good stuff in all the amounts I wanted. I know it isn't true but right now it seems better than crying.

Here is to hoping I can get through the day.

Replies

• jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    This problem causes such a struggle. Seeing a gain of 3 pounds when I've been doing everything right would be very depressing to me also. Hang in there! You were strong enough to post, which will help. I think your very logical mind was absolutely correct. Sure hope you made it through the day. Friend me if you want to message or keep an eye on each other.
  • duchessglencairn
    Options
    Thanks! I've made it through the last few days. I just kept going one minute (sometimes second) at a time.
  • njspratt
    Options
    I have a total love/hate relationship with my scales. I'm so desperate to see the numbers decreasing that I weigh myself far too often. I think I've got into a habit of subconsciously "congratulating" myself if I see that I've lost weight. Yet, if I see that I've had a little gain, I still eat to teach myself a lesson or I think "actually, I've been quite good and still haven't lost, what's the point, *kitten* it - pass the biscuits".

Ok, reading this back makes me think I should maybe just not weigh myself!
  • njspratt
    Options
    Thanks! I've made it through the last few days. I just kept going one minute (sometimes second) at a time.

Sometimes, this is the way forward - literally taking it one step at a time. Instead of saying "I'm never going to eat chocolate again" which, let's be honest, in my case certainly, is never going to happen. If you do eat some chocolate, get over it. Make sure you put it in your food diary and just move on. Try to be realistic and not too restrictive. Keep going! :-)
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Do you have an update? Was it just a freak thing? I recently had the same thing happen to me and I got so mad......