Eating back calories...ugh.

Options
I am 21 months post-RNY. I just started a moderately active job and I am finding that with all the calories I am burning from work, I am physically unable to eat them all back. My pouch doesn't tolerate solid proteins well at all. As far as the doctor is considered its not an issue, just a quirk with my pouch. Everyone's is different!

Until I started working, I had been comfortably eating about 1200-1400 calories a day. I am getting all my protein in that my doctor wants me too, so that's a non-issue. With all my physical activity at work, I am finding I am having deficits of 1000+ calories and I just cannot physically eat them all back. I can't just fill it with empty calories because too much sugar causes me to dump.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

Replies

• JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I think you will find that "we" (WLS patients) often don't fit the mold. The true nature of RNY is to cause a malabsorption and restriction of intake. Your little pouch is doing it's job. :smile:

I would only suggest maybe taking careful caution to be sure you are eating the most calorie dense things you can find that are still nutritious and tolerable for you. You kind of live on protien bars :ohwell: and I understand why, but it looks like sometimes you've been able to eat some sausage, chicken, etc? How about cheese? I know a very small amount of cheese (about 1oz) has 110 calories.

I would also ask your WLS Dr. Maybe they are unconcerned at this time. It will be an adjustment for sure. If you start feeling lightheaded be sure you are drinking enough!
  • soapboxermel
    soapboxermel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It took me about 18 months to be able to tolerate solid foods well and in that time I lost 20 more than I had intended--looked and felt weak all the time.

The easiest way for me to get the calories in back then was Ensure, protein shakes, and yogurt. I had a semi-liquid diet, but stopped avoiding low fat.