Right Hand Lead

Options
I have a former racehorse (TB) who does not want to pick up a right hand lead. Any ideas? We have had him checked and he is sound, we have been working him in right hand circles to help him get more balanced, but it is still a struggle to get him to pick up that lead. All ideas are welcome.

Replies

• Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Any chance it could be you, not him? I've been having similar difficulty, and my instructor made me hold the neck strap with my outside hand to make sure I wasn't jabbing him in the mouth.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a clinic and the clinician had us move our horses on the lateral in order to pick up the correct lead. I am sure you know what that means but I'll explain just in case..... My gelding has trouble with his right lead. The left is a piece of cake but I have to cue just perfectly for the right lead so the clinician had me ask my horse to move off my leg, on the lateral, to the left. So apply pressure with right leg. Then as the horse is crossing over (to the left), move your left leg back, take your right leg off (or "open the door"), pick up your inside (right) rein, and cue for the right lead. Did I totally confuse you? As my horse is tracking to the left, on a right circle, I tip his nose in to the right, and ask with my outside(left) leg. The clinician said this helps the horse to gain proper balance which makes it easier for them to pick up the correct lead. Over time, the theory is that you wont have to move them on the lateral so much before asking for the lead departure. The clinician's name is Brian Sumrall - he is a Ranch Horse Versatility judge and trainer. By the end of the clinic my horse was picking up the right lead perfectly. I have a tendency to move too quickly and get in my horse's way.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I was practicing this yesterday and discovered that he does a lot better picking up the correct lead from a walk-canter transition than trot-canter. Have you tried that?
  • RodeoRamsey
    RodeoRamsey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    He doesn't want to pick up his right lead because he was never -taught- the right lead. ;) Racehorses are almost always run counter-clockwise, therefore using their left lead. When you are retraining an OTTB, getting the right lead is pretty tough but can be done. Try asking him to canter to the right in a small roundpen (or on a lunge line). Or if you are riding in an arena, you can try posting the incorrect diagonal so when you ask for the lead, your weight is up off his back when his back hind is up under him. If you do roundpen or lunge line work, depending on how recently retired he is, he may not be strong enough on that side so take it slow and give him a break every time he picks up the correct lead. :) Good luck!
  • amina_a10
    amina_a10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well, if he wasn't a super fabulous TB, he was probably breezed going to the right. ;) But, it's also a balance thing, so really work on him bending and moving from his hind end correctly, it will come with time!