Metformin

Options
robinred2
robinred2 Posts: 59 Member
Has anyone had a lot of trouble with metformin?

Replies

• Thommothebear
    Thommothebear Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people that have had bad stomach problems with metformin, many have resolved this by having their prescription changed to Slow Release Metformin, this is what I am on and I have had very few problems after the first week or so. Anothtor can be if you go onto a high dose too fast, most doctors seem to recommend increasing the dose slowly over a few weeks to give the body a chance to get used to it.
  • robinred2
    Options
    I have had a lot of problems. Keep telling myself to try again, but I feel so rotten when I do. As soon as I quit taking it I feel good. I am afraid of other meds as I gain weight so easy. I have been exercising 30 to 70 minutes a day and staying under 1200 calories and 120-165 carbs. I write down everything. My sugar this morning is lower than it was even on metformin. Have a call in to my endroc. to see what to do next
  • maryhitt
    maryhitt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Some people who have intestinal problems with metformin find that they go away after their bodies get used to it -- but that's not true for everyone. I find it helpful to take it with meals, not on an empty stomach, and at about the same time every day.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I had problems in the beginning so I cut the dose in half till I got used to it, then I started taking the full dose. Now I have no side effects at all. YMMV. :)
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ya, it doesn't work for me. I'm in the process of going vegan for a while to do what I can to stay off medication. I wish you the best.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of problems. Keep telling myself to try again, but I feel so rotten when I do. As soon as I quit taking it I feel good. I am afraid of other meds as I gain weight so easy. I have been exercising 30 to 70 minutes a day and staying under 1200 calories and 120-165 carbs. I write down everything. My sugar this morning is lower than it was even on metformin. Have a call in to my endroc. to see what to do next
    Those calories seem really low - I had problems in the beginning but also if I take it on an empty tummy! You can increase calories without increasing carbs. What kind of #s are you looking at? When you do see your endo it helps if you bring your food diary and all of your readings.
  • robinred2
    Options
    Yes I am keeping records for my endo in a couple of weeks. The 1200 calories. And 135 carbs are her orders. I am also eating mostly veggies
  • loveanddestroyx
    loveanddestroyx Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have problems when I take it on an empty stomach, when I do it irritates my stomach, so I take it after meals.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yes I am keeping records for my endo in a couple of weeks. The 1200 calories. And 135 carbs are her orders. I am also eating mostly veggies
    Got it - the carb range is actually where I usually fall. I have to take mine before I eat or a few bites in. My stomach settled down after a few weeks and now if I do have tummy issues I'm really not sure if it is the metformin or something else.
  • JanaY125
    Options
    metformin makes a u turn in my stomach, but if I take it after my evening meal I keep it down.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Some people who have intestinal problems with metformin find that they go away after their bodies get used to it -- but that's not true for everyone. I find it helpful to take it with meals, not on an empty stomach, and at about the same time every day.

Thanks for suggesting this, it has helped me immensely!!
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options

This is great motivation to lose some more weight and get off the metformin completely.
  • mourningkiss
    Options
    I had an issue with Metformin. My doctor tried it as my starting medication because it worked well for my mother. However, it was causing my blood sugar to crash dramatically. I changed over to Glipizide. It’s not perfect, but it works a lot better than the Metformin did.

~Regards~