Best way to eat sardines. . .

Options
Tophermak
Tophermak Posts: 69 Member
So, I'm trying sardines for probably the first time in about 20 years, maybe even longer. I remember eating sardines on toasted rye bread with lots of mustard and loving it. Just had a can of brisling sardines in olive oil and I gotta say they left something to be desired. I choked them down but wasn't the tastiest.

So does anyone have any ideas on how to make these a little more palatable while still keeping it paleo??

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    In for the responses. I'm not a fish lover, but I can see the benefits of eating little fish with guts. Just wish I liked it more.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I use them for cooking Thai curry. Add some coconut milk, curry powder, pureed sardines, veggies & meat. Voila!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    As the protein over a salad isn't bad, especially if you throw a few kalamata olives in. The salty/sour flavors tend to go well with fish. But I'm in for more ideas too!
  • Tophermak
    Tophermak Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The thai curry sounds tasty, That sounds like something I made need to look up. . . we really enjoy thai/viet foods so that could work!!

And the salad might work. Won't know til I try that as well!!
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I eat them for breakfast - usually just a can of sardines in water (not so strong in flavour that way) then I make a paleo 'tomato sauce' by thinning a little tomato paste with a wee bit of water, mix it through the sardines and plenty of freshly ground black pepper on top.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I second the ones packed in water. I'll eat them straight or with a little hot sauce.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I eat ones packed in oil straight out of the tin.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For me sardines are a staple, the most important thing I figured out was that you need to find the right brand, because they don't all taste the same. I had to choke down a few as well to find the right one, I've also found that even with the same brand the steaks taste different from the whole ones, go figure.

I just add some hot sauce and I'm good to go.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I just tried them for the first time ever today...like them...straight out of can i guess ?? thats how the BF eats them lol
  • deedee4453
    deedee4453 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I remember eating them as a kid with my grandma. Loved them straight out of the tin, it had a red label and a bearded man's face on the label. I bought some several months ago and they seemed very large and when I took my first bite I gagged as I was crunching bones which was not what I expected. Needless to say I haven't tried them since. Can someone recommend a good quality brand that are smaller and the bones are not so pronounced? I know the bones are part of the calcium but I guess I am a wuss....thanks!
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am a sardine lover! WildPlanet Foods is my absolute favorite brand, they are sustainably caught and the cans are bpa free.

My favorite ones are in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, I dont drain the oil. I really like them mixed with avocado, lime juice and jicama for crunch. On top of a salad with a squeeze of lemon (to make a dressing), also I kind of treat them as tuna so you could make a sardine salad with homemade mayo, mustard and whatever else you make tuna salad with. Then I can also eat them straight out of the can with a fork :)
  • AshleyPaleo
    Options
    Out of can w/mustard! The long back bone is extra crunchy - my fave part =)
  • llw1013
    llw1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I bought two cans a while ago and am scared to try them. Thanks for the ideas. I did see a pressure cooker bone broth recipe on Pinterest that called for sardines, and was thinking about trying that instead of eating them whole (gag!)
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    This is my new mission for the weeks to come..oily fish.
    I had a tin in olive oil yesterday and ate them with some red cabbage and squeezed some lime over them..they were intense but I enjoyed them and plan on eating them 2-3 times per week.