I have a dilemma......

Options
How do i get the calories i need without the carbs and also not having too much protein?? Help....

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Food is either protein, carbs or fat.
    If carbs are limited, and protein is limited, what's left is fat.

Yummy, yummy fat. I follow keto - high fat, moderate protein (sufficient protein to maintain lean body mass), and low carb. 70-75% of my diet is from fat. My macros are 75%F - 20%P - 5%C. Note that typical keto is more in the range of 65-30-5.

You need to pick high fat items. Use butter, eat nuts, bacon, sour cream, full fat dressings instead of low fat alternatives. Use high fat cuts of meat. Add butter and coconut oil to your coffee. Eat whole eggs instead of egg whites. Have dark meat chicken with the skin instead of a skinless chicken breast.

Hope that helps!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

Yummy, yummy fat. I follow keto - high fat, moderate protein (sufficient protein to maintain lean body mass), and low carb. 70-75% of my diet is from fat. My macros are 75%F - 20%P - 5%C. Note that typical keto is more in the range of 65-30-5.

You need to pick high fat items. Use butter, eat nuts, bacon, sour cream, full fat dressings instead of low fat alternatives. Use high fat cuts of meat. Add butter and coconut oil to your coffee. Eat whole eggs instead of egg whites. Have dark meat chicken with the skin instead of a skinless chicken breast.

Hope that helps!

Masterfully written...
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Hope that helps!

Masterfully written...

Agreed. Kiramaniac nailed it in one.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Hope that helps!

butter and coconut oil in coffee ?????

Thats bordering on weird, and why would you want to stomach butter like that when you can drink a quality olive oil !
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Thats bordering on weird, and why would you want to stomach butter like that when you can drink a quality olive oil !

Bulletproof Coffee - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/862742-bulletproof-coffee?hl=Bulletproof

Not weird - a delicious start to the day. Many low carbers do this, or have "fat bombs".

I'm not a big olive oil user. I prefer butter, ghee, coconut oil, MCT. But if you enjoy olive oil enough to drink it straight, it would be a great way to up your fat. Cheers!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Hope that helps!

Masterfully written...

:laugh: Indeed! :drinker:
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Hope that helps!

True that! As well, I bet your hair, skin, and nails are wonderful and you are not hungry...
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i do ok, i dont eat much bread i dont eat potato i dont eat much pasta or rice, im diabetic and carbs are complicated sugar, cave men didnt eat carbs
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Bulletproof Coffee - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/862742-bulletproof-coffee?hl=Bulletproof

Not weird - a delicious start to the day. Many low carbers do this, or have "fat bombs".

I'm not a big olive oil user. I prefer butter, ghee, coconut oil, MCT. But if you enjoy olive oil enough to drink it straight, it would be a great way to up your fat. Cheers!

Never could stomach my own when we grew,harvested and had pressed in the umbrian region as it was so strong yet considdered high quality....

I buy the chepest bland tasting possible and drink 3 tablespoons a day and quite like it now pre shake of with tuna !
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Right, you need to eat more fat. You should calculate protein needs (in grams) based on your lean body mass (I use this calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/) then keeps carbs as low as desired (certainly under 50 g total carbs a day if you want to be in ketosis, usually fewer than that) and make up the rest of your calories with healthy fats, including butter, olive oil, coconut oil, lard, tallow, fatty meats, some nuts and nut butters, and other foods naturally high in fat. Keep in mind when you are losing weight, some of the fat will come from your body stores, so the percentages don't actually matter when you are losing weight. The calorie deficit at which you eat will determine how much of your body fat is used to make up the deficit, and therefore, in general, how much weight you will lose. When you reach goal a percentage target may be more useful if you keep calories constant.