How hard do you push yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I just changed boxes after moving across the city and I am really astounded by the culture in my new box of girls not pushing themselves or each other. They are afraid of failing lifts or working too hard. But it's also not helped by the coaches who don't push the girls to push themselves. We recently did "Cindy" and the coach encouraged the girls the scale the length of the WOD as well as movements - so most of the girls only did 12 minutes instead of the full 20. This is a mentality I do not understand and that I find frustrating.

I am trying to foster more of a collegiate sense of pushing each other amongst the females in my new box much like I had at my old one. Girls were constantly telling each other, "you can lift more. Give it a go!" I don't think these attempts are being well received. The unfortunate thing is, without that communal encouragement, I'm beginning to find myself overscaling or at least not pushing myself as much as I would have at my old box :(

That's rough. Unless that level of motivation is coming from the coach's I don't think it will work. I think your best bet is to refuse to scale like the rest of them. If that means you are the last one done every time, so be it. Maybe one more person will say "I'm sticking with her"

Or start working out with the men.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I feel the clock is a two-edged sword. Yes it is essential in measuring progression, but at the same time I feel it is too much of a crutch for people who don't want to push themselves.

Case in point, people who go really light on the weights just to get a 'fast time' on the board. What's the point? I can snatch an empty barbell really fast as well but it doesn't mean I've improved myself or worked hard.

I also fear that as CrossFit becomes more and more mainstream, there is this developing sub-culture of CrossFit bunnies and bros who show up in their color-coordinated fitness outfits and barely break a sweat, just so they can say "Yeah, I CrossFit."

That being said, I myself have recently stopped worrying about posting fast times. Now I'm focused on lifting heavy *kitten* and pushing myself. I've actually pushed to the point where I get central-nervous-system chills from pushing my muscles so far. It's an awesome feeling. I never leave the box dry. I'm spending way too much money to be ****ing around during a WOD.

As for yelling out "TIME"... we do it if the clock isn't visible (like if we are outside in back) or if the coach is timing us on a stopwatch.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^I have never heard a single person in my box yell "TIME" Ever.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Same.
  • shirte
    shirte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We don't have that issue at the box I go to. If the bodies aren't hitting the floor at the end of the WOD then they are out in the back puking. I was one of the women out back puking tonight so I would say we push ourselves at our box. We also have an atmosphere of women pushing and encouraging all the other women.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    We don't have that issue at the box I go to. If the bodies aren't hitting the floor at the end of the WOD then they are out in the back puking. I was one of the women out back puking tonight so I would say we push ourselves at our box. We also have an atmosphere of women pushing and encouraging all the other women.

I 100% agree with this, 95% of people are collasped on the floor at the end of every workout guy or girl. The women at my box are usually pushing those who are scaling too much to try more. Obviously never to the point of what would cause injury but I think we sometimes underestimate what we are capable of. The guys at my box also push the girls just as much, like last night it was 95 degree we were doing Helen and I had 2 guys who finished in like 9 min, crazy people :), pushing me to get through the last round of of the KB swings and pull ups unbroken counting my reps for me.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you are shaky and nauseous after a workout, have protein and quick!

I try to do this on a regular basis, but on the two days mentioned, I would have honestly puked it right back up. :sick: I'm still working every WOD to find my limit and go just a little past it.

We yell time as soon as we finish the last rep of any "for time" WOD....usually on the way to the supine position. :laugh: Obviously, this doesn't apply to AMRAP WODs.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    At the end of most workouts I have to sit down and catch my breath but I never just lay on the ground. I think it is harder to catch your breath that way. Plus the floor is dirty.

Sometimes I think people kind of play up their exhaustion a little bit for effect. You don't have to look half-dead to prove that you worked out hard. Besides, the only person you have to prove anything to is yourself so if you feel good about what you just did then there is no need to fall over in a heap.

^this. Also, I have to "walk-it-off" to catch my breath. I very rarely can sit (or lay down) when I'm done with a WOD. I am the same way when I finish a 5k race. I walk it off. I can't just stop moving immediately.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Same.

People often do this to let the coach know they're done so they can write the time on the board. I see it more where the WOD ends with something like HSPUs or something where you might not see the clock to get your time when you finish.
  • fakeittomakeit
    fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't really care how hard anyone else works during a WOD. I push myself and work to improve every time. If someone else chooses not to, that's their choice. I am inspired every day by what others have accomplished. : )