help! anyone taking mct oil & have burning ears ?

Options
Debbiedebbiey
Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
If I why, but my ears are red & on fire
Started taking not oil last week....but this just started today, . It's the only thing I've changed in my diet lately...anyone else experience this ? I take 1 tbsp a day.

Replies

• linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have it in my coffee every morning (1 tbsp). I've never had a reaction like yours. Sometimes it gets me in the bathroom though. You might have an allergic reaction?? Not sure what would cause that.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    I'm thinking it's some type of keto rash...I broke out in hives shortly after that post. I just added carbs back in today. An Apple, 7 grapes, and :sad: a fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookie ( can't think of a more heavenly way to knock myself out of keto) ! So I'm anxious to find out.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you're getting hives, it sounds allergic, not ketogenic. I'd get some liquid Benedryl and keep it handy. I have read in one low-carb book (see http://www.westonaprice.org/thumbs-up-reviews/life-without-bread) that keto can really ramp up the immune system, and in folks who already have developed autoimmune issues, this can unfortunately sometimes cause inflammatory or allergic responses. But if it's only associated with one food, it's more likely that you're simply unable to tolerate it, or developing an allergy to it.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't have buring in my ears. I do have increased pimples when I drink MCT oil. It only takes about 2 tablespoons for my face to break out. I am 43 years old and havn't had pimple for two decades. Too bad, I really wanted to be able to use MCT oil. But my vanity doesn't allow for it.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    Well, the burning ears ended up being hives. I went to the allergist, said I'm allergic to brocolli (which I had that day or earlier in the week) rice, and dust mites. She said I'm a tiny bit allergic to coconut, but I didn't give it up and I've gotten much better...weird ! I did up my MCT oil today, and yikes ! Stayed home with a bellyache !!!!