Weekends, always a challenge

Options
retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
I see a lot of posts that weekends are hard times for people.

I certainly am one of those. Because we have 3/4 days a week we hardly see each other, we tend to treat ourselves to lots of eating out on weekends, so we can enjoy each other and just be waited on :drinker: So here is what I have planned for this coming weekend.

1. Lots of salad goodies are already prepped and just have to go into a bowl of lettuce. Got roasted chicken, albacore tuna and salmon. Variety is important to us.

2. Made a LARGE pot of beef and veggie stew, for quick low cal but high nutrient hot meals. So easy, no excuse to go out!

3. Picked out nice place for dinner on Friday. A Southwestern grill that has grilled fish tacos. The setting is outdoors with a water feature in front, complete with dancing waters, so a great place to watch the sun go down over the mountains. I need to feed all my senses.

4. Making a do ahead breakfast dish, to cut down on breakfast out.

5. Pick raspberries daily, they are in season in our yard! Add to 0% yogurt instead of having frozen yogurt out.

6. Plan to go back to Mt. Evans while the hiking season is still here, and get in some trail hike time.

So does anyone else have any plans? I'd love to hear how others cope with the weekend free time and I deserve a treat attitude we tend to get into on weekends.

Replies

• jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Wow..you are wonderfully organised ... sounds like you are going to have a great weekend......:smile:

I do struggle at the weekends as you say........ my main aim is not to drink a whole bottle of wine over the two days.........and I have made a large pan of vegetable and tomato soup which is low in calories.

Jean
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Autumn weekends are a particular challenge. It's college football season so there is a tailgate party almost every weekend. The food is what you might expect, pulled pork, ribs, wings, fried chicken. I plan on eating before I go, the game is at 2 this weekend. So I'll keep the lid on snacking.
  • mermaidmom48
    mermaidmom48 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead is crucial in this weight loss journey. I think you have done a magnificent job. Congratulations on using such good foresight.:drinker: :drinker:
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Wow..you are wonderfully organised ... sounds like you are going to have a great weekend......:smile:

I do struggle at the weekends as you say........ my main aim is not to drink a whole bottle of wine over the two days.........and I have made a large pan of vegetable and tomato soup which is low in calories.

Jean

Not drinking a whole bottle of wine is also my goal, but I refuse to give wine and chocolate up so I drink and eat only the best of those I can get my hands on.

I've organized this because I had such a bounce up last weekend I was afraid it would stick around for weigh in day on Wed. Luckily it didn't. But I realized something had to be tweaked, so I spent a good part of the day figuring all this out. I could have watched an old movie, my preferred activity on a day off, but instead I planned ahead.

Soup is a real life saver sometimes.
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    These are great strategies!

I don't have a different approach on the weekends but do save up cals from during the week so if we entertain or go out on the weekend, I can have a glass (OK, or two) of wine and stay within my limit. This is similar to the WW approach of "saving points" and I find it works really well IF I keep the banking within the week.

(I mostly get those cals from exercise, and eat back around 50-60% of them. That ratio works for me, some people can eat back all of them.)

Really smart to eat breakfast in- brunch places are usually about huge portions and calorie-laden menus. Even if you can get something within your cals, it's hard with everyone around you digging into waffles and eggs benny.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hopefully my weekend will not have done any damage this time.... a couple of glasses of wine but otherwise a good couple of days.....and I have really upped the walking and even included a bit of jogging! Hope to continue this trend...and hope it shows up well on the scales! :bigsmile:

Jean
  • southerngramma
    Options
    These comments were/are totally awesome and super appreciated. I never considered "banking" calories for different meals. I sort of thought that if I didn't meet my calorie amount for the day I was doing something wrong. There are days were I am literally just not hungry! So I don't eat much..I'm sure some of that is from the medications I take..LOL I really like the idea of planning out menus..it would make much more sense. Thank you for all this great information.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Well my weekend was close to what I had planned, didn't hit every plan.

The Friday night dinner, we sat inside, it was trying to rain outside, but the food portions were small which is what we wanted. I had a grilled halibut fish taco and braised lamb taco, and my splash out was a low cal/carb beer to wash it down with.

I never cooked the breakfast recipe I had in mind, hubby really wanted to go out on Sat. so we did but the place we went to has great veggie filled egg white omlettes, I split mine in two and took half home, hubby did the same with his huge breakfast. So on Sunday we did stay in and finish off the ones from Sat.

Lots of salads, soup, and meals on the deck enjoying the last days of summertime. Raspberries fresh picked with dark chocolate and walnuts, nothing is finer for dessert.

Didn't make it up to the mountains, too many things came up around the house.

I think I did really well, I'll see on Wed. my weigh in day.

I remember WW having that banking idea, and I did that when i was with WW. It works if you do it with days close together, a little lighter eating on one day, have the extras the next, it does work, if it doesn't become a regular habit, but great for special occasions like weddings, birthdays, etc.

I hope everyone had a fun filled, healthy eating weekend.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I have a new victory, This weekend I did not bounce upwards, I bounced downwards.

It isn't my weigh in day so I will see how it goes from here.

But for me this is HUGE. I have to do this every weekend :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    Kudos to both of you.

retirehappy, sounds like a wonderful weekend and you did not do what planed, but did well any ways. Good job.