Unsweetened Coconut?

Options
Dianecg
Dianecg Posts: 44 Member
Went to the store this morning. I can find 5 different variations of Sweetened coconut but nothing unsweetened. Where am I supposed to find this? And while I'm at it, as a newbie to this type of eating, I am now noticing how much crap the stores subject us to.

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I found some Bob's Red Mill unsweetened coconut on the baking aisle at local grocery store (HEB in Texas). It was in with the other Bob's Red Mill flours (coconut, almond, etc) not with the regular baking coconut. It's way cheaper to order online from Vitacost, especially if you see other low carb stuff to order. Here's a peek at pricing for a big bag

http://www.vitacost.com/bobs-red-mill-unsweetened-shredded-coconut/?prSrching=0

Do you have a Sprouts or Whole Foods close by? Super WalMart? Maybe even check a health food store (tho I've found those kind of stores to be a little pricy).

Tropical Traditions (online) also has great coconut products, and my mom has used Arrowhead shredded unsweetened coconut. I can ask her where she found it if you like.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My grocery store has it in their health food / organic section (like MermaidTX near all the Bob's Red Mill stuff). I've also ordered from Amazon.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I found it by accident in the freezer section of an Asian food market.
  • Dianecg
    Dianecg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've bought Bob's Red Mill on occasion, but recently I found a bag in the produce dept. at Shop-Rite for only $1.99 for an 8 oz bag.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Kroger brand has unsweetened. It's the only place in my small town I have been able to find it. Even Walmart doesn't carry it around here.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The only kind I can ever find at regular grocery stores is in the freezer section or the dried Bob's Red Mill kind as mentioned above. Thank you nancycaregive for mentioning that Kroger's has some. I don't do my regular grocery shopping there but there is one near my work I go to sometimes on my lunch break. I'll have to look for it.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Mine's in the ogranic section (I think the Let's Do Coconut brand), and they have some in the bulk bins as well.
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    How does it taste? What type of dish are you guys using it for?
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    How does it taste? What type of dish are you guys using it for?

It tastes very similar to the "regular" baking coconut just not nearly as sweet & IMO it's drier. I use it mainly for desserts & treats but it's also good for using in batter for chicken & shrimp.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I use it in my chia/flax porridge, in my grainless granola, and various dishes that I make.
    Its goooooooood!!
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sounds nice! Is it extended induction friendly?