Let's get started

Options

Replies

• brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone and it has been great to read recent posts. I've been off-line for a few days with computer problems again but I hope the glitches are now worked out. My friend and former teaching colleague maintains my computer but he is on holidays so I could not reach him immediately. However, as soon as he got my message he helped me; it is quite amazing to me, not being very computer adept but he has put a program on my computer so he can log onto my computer from his home and fix it from there. So there we were last night at midnight, talking on the phone as I watched my computer jump through a thousand hoops to get fixed. Amazing really. Well, the high temps and draining humidity have continued without letup here since my last post- no change predicted until Monday. I do feel however that I have got myself back on track this week and am feeling more positive. I've managed to keep walking, two miles today but it has been too hot to ride. Tomorrow will be another scorching hot day so I'll go and visit a friend who used to ride at my stable. Here schools will open again on Tuesday. MITM, I can really sympathize with how you are feeling about your daughter going away. I wished one niece well this week as she and her parents (and the dog- who goes almost everywhere with them) left for Pennsylvania where she will begin University. My niece seemed very casual about leaving but my brother told me that the past few nights she has not slept well-nervous. And I know my brother would have loved if his daughter went to a local university but this is a wonderful opportunity and she has been awarded a full scholarship. I was surprised this morning to get a call from an acquaintance asking me if I would tutor her son in English this year. I said I would but it may be bit of a slog as he does not do well and does not like the subject. She also asked me if she could pass my name to a friend who also wants tutoring for her son, who also does not like the subject. Of course, I've certainly had students in my classroom who did not like English either.(a continuation) Broke to take Nellie out for evening walk and went further than planned so today did closer to 21/2 humid miles. Nellie also went swimming in the large pond at the stables and got to run wild so it has been a good day for her. I have not yet made the relishes I usually do but reading about the produce from your gardens, MITM and PB has made me think I must get to that too. MITM, you must have an enormous garden and how lovely to have such a variety of fruits and veg. PB, great to hear that you made your ride and enjoyed it- the cob sounds like a great idea to me. New82, I really use a crock pot a lot especially in fall and winter and make a lot of soups. Recently I made a veg soup with whatever veg were around (carrot, zucchini, bit of corn, some peas, small bit of potato, tomato, celery, basil and bay leaves, a touch of olive oil (2 teaspoons)- it was really nice and then I saved some and the next day had it but added some already cooked chicken breast pieces - very nice that way. I froze some too. You could use it as a base and add pasta or quinoa or rice too..I love carrot or squash soup . I just cook the carrots (squash I bake), add them to a simple stock, add some spice, throw in the blender to pure and then reheat- can be really easy and the good basis for a meal with a veggie burger or some meat or fish burger. Glad to hear you've had a great time with Daisy. I think summer can be really hard for dieting as I said in my previous post. Often it seems we end up with too much of a good thing. With irregular and extra eating, I think it is really easy to feel down. I know I have felt much better this week with eating regularly and in a planned manner. For me, getting back on track means eating lots of protein. I really think breakfast is very important. I love poached eggs, especially with a little grated, sharp cheese. I even enjoy just poached egg whites, again with a bit of shredded cheese. I try not to overdo the whole egg thing. When I am in a hurry or late I often have poached eggs for dinner. Sometimes I even have hot cereal like oatmeal. Must leave off for the moment but looking forward to being back soon.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello all. Here it is Sept.1 and I'm pleased to have finished a good week. Today was particularly satisfying as I had my first schooling lesson on my horse in close to almost a month as the stable owner has returned from holidays. I was somewhat apprehensive as I had not ridden for over a week because of the ongoing heat too but my lesson went really well including jumping a couple of mini-courses of 5 jumps each. My dear horse was brilliant and made wonderful jumps.The walking went well this week and I did 2 miles most days but 3 1/4 miles on Saturday. I am also pleased to have completed the week getting back on the dieting as I planned and am feeling much better after only a week. A week ago I was feeling really desperate as I was really noticing the weight I had put on and could feel it in my clothes becoming tight and noticing that I was starting to avoid certain clothes too. Just as bad was feeling so down about it. I thought I needed to make a rather drastic reset so I have done the whole week on my somewhat modified version, though to me still strict, of the Dukan diet. (I have the book which I picked up in a consignment store). Dukan wants you to eat nothing but lean protein for the first of his four phase diet- no carbs except 1 1/2 T oatbran per day, no sugar of course, but also no fruits or vegs. He advises this for as little as one day or as long as seven depending on how much weight you have to lose and how much you can tolerate the restrictions. He does allow low fat dairy including cheeses, yoghurt, and skim milk and allows low fat yoghurts including those with fruits but no sugar. The main modification I have made is to include some fruits (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and peaches) to my plain yoghurt - they are so good this time of the year and I found they really helped me keep to the other guidelines. My other deviations were to use small amounts of ketchup on eggs and meat and small amounts of light mayo. Since I am such a sugar junkie, it is good to realize that all week my only sugar really was in the ketchup. By today my snuggest clothes were starting to feel more comfortable. I will say that the first three days were rather hard in terms of feeling tired- whether from the previous days before starting as I had had a lot of eating out and eating really poorly, from the way I was now eating, or from the heat. However, by Thursday I started to feel so much better. I know that some of the weight I have lost is undoubtedly water weight but I am still glad to have made this start. I also did something quite radical for me this week- I tried on a dress and I really like the dress. Let me say right off that I am not a dress person and usually wear pants, jeans, and if the occasion is fancier I will look for a pants outfit or at the most a two piece skirt/ top outfit. However, while shopping I was thinking about the wedding of my nephew end of Oct. I decided to have a check through some dresses on a whim and found one that inexplicably appealed to me. It is a simple jersey material , black with a small rust brown print, V-neck, elbow length sleeves. It is some version of a wrap dress and in my mind I remember thinking I had heard that wrapped dresses are universally flattering- hard to describe but it does not wrap from head to toe but the bust sort of is wrapped across and the skirt part has an wrap or overlay with a bit of ruching across the stomach (always an issue for me)- the effect I thought might be that it would be a sort of forgiving dress so I tried it on! I expected that it would be too tight and I was right (it is a size 14 which I having been wearing in other clothes- however, I may have been the victim of so-called vanity sizing! This dress is a Ralph Lauren dress and he apparently does not believe in vanity sizing!) I wasn't sure what to do because I was so surprised that I liked the dress so I asked the saleswoman how long I would have to return it- 30 days or 90 days if I put in on their store credit card- so I got a credit card! This is absolutely unusual for me to buy in this manner. However, I was so surprised that I liked the dress that I am giving myself 90 days to see if this dress is really for me.
    In checking this over I see I have rambled on for quite awhile but before I leave I must say to MITM how impressed I am that with
    all your visitors you have managed to stay at your goal weight. Perhaps playing host kept you so busy that you did not realize you
    were really using a lot of energy or maybe not remembering to eat. Regards to all for now.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Popping in as I have made it a goal to do so and reflect a bit. Things are a bit hectic this week as I have begun making pickles and relishes as I like to do, especially to have on hand as little gifts. Yesterday and today have been taken up making a chili sauce- mine is a fruit chutney type with apples, peaches, and pears with the tomatoes, peppers and celery, onions. I had forgotten how large the recipe is and had thought I should half it last time I did it but too late I realized that so it's a big job. I want to make a corn relish, mustard bean pickles, and bread and butter pickles, the last from my grandma's recipe. In addition, I had a call today from the man who is going to install new flooring in my living room, bedroom, den and a hallway- due to some changes in his schedule he can now do my job. I'm pleased to be getting it done but it will be quite disruptive. He'll be here probably for 3 days. The week has been going well diet/exercise wise. Nellie and I got in 1 1/2 miles this morning but I'm not sure if we'll do more as I also need to go to the stable and then come back to jar the chili sauce. I notice the media has a number of stories at present about Sept. being the time for resolutions and fresh starts. I'd like to propose a QOTW, or perhaps a more extended discussion of what anyone is planning to do differently in the next while re diet/exercise or to hear some ideas of what seems to be working well. To all the swimmers who are racking up their miles, did you catch the news story about the 64 year old woman who just swam from Cuba to Florida (177 k.)- very inspiring, perhaps more so because this was her fifth attempt. Talk about don't ever quit! Regards all.
  • new82day
    new82day Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Just a very quick call in, as I have to pick up Daisy in 15mins

Some normality has resumed in our household! Daisy is back to school and I have been playing catch up with all my paperwork this morning!

Diet is on hold and kick starts next Monday. We are off to Yorkshire Thursday for the weekend, which is sort of a holiday for us, so no point in starting before. Then I am going to get back to my 5:2 week and carry on with my Zumba and hopefully watch those pounds melt away!

Hope everyone is ok, sorry its such a flying visit! xx
  • brackenmh
    Options
    A quick drop in for me too but good to have you touch base New82. Enjoy your holiday and looking forward to hearing from you again. I'm a little overwhelmed here with my renovations (installation of new laminate flooring in bedroom, den, a hall and livingroom .
    The floor is done in the den, hall and bedroom but the trim on the baseboard has not been done there in two closets and the den. The fellow who is doing the work will finish that on the weekend and also do the livingroom, he hopes. He is meticulous and has done a tremendous job, no easy matter in and older house. I'm painting the new trim before it is installed (saves money plus is easier to do then.) I'm living in chaos as I seem to be something of a hoarder/collector especially of books and have decided before I put them back I'll have a bit of a cull. Presently books are still lining my stairs, sitting in boxes all over. I also want to go through the clothes that are from the bedroom closet before I put them back. I've amazed myself at how much stuff I have in those closets and rooms. Also I've got corn that needs to be made into relish and also frozen as well as cucumbers still unrelished. Of course, I've brought this on myself-no one with a gun is forcing me to make the relishes! I did manage a good a.m. walk with Nellie and a nice ride on my horse today as I wanted to take advantage of nice weather- tomorrow a 32C day is predicted- yuck! Must off as I have to contact the Mother of a boy whom I have agreed to tutor. Regards.
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi Bracken, I am exhausted just reading your mail! I am sure the work with the floor will be so worth it when it is finished. I am exactly the same with books and clothes (also shoes and bags!!). I do not consider myself a hoarder(!!) but it is amazing just how easy it is to accumulate these items. I have no trouble donating clothes to charity but I find it so hard to part with books. I don't envy you your task, but wish you well! You also have my sympathies with the predicted weather, like you I am no fan of high temperatures. Hope your relish making goes OK, I love hearing ANY gardening tales off the crackers, unfortunately I just have a few pot plants but live in hope of a large garden and allotment when we leave here. x x x

New8, lovely to hear from you, even a "pop in" is music to my ears (eyes?) as I live vicariously through the crackers! Just wondered if yourself (and Bracken) have read my post re the Christmas "challenge"? I expect Saffy will pop in soon, along with PB and then MITM when she returns, will I know support us. LMV is already on board so it is full steam ahead. Yay Crackers we are on the march again!!x x
    Wishing you all a fab day.....BM x x
  • PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Will start this post again as my pooter just chucked me out after 3 paragraphs and I lost my post.

So here we go again!

Hello ALL!

I hope everyone is well - I've been a bit lacking in focus in recent weeks - and have just started to get myself back in the zone - have stayed the same weight wise though so something is OK. Had a great night at choir last night - making £100+ in sponsorship. The Challenge starts this week and my first official swim will be on Wednesday.

What is the Christmas Challenge Bailey? I don't think I've spotted that one?

I'm feeling much more positive now the weather has cooled down - I really don't like the summer and am so glad it has cooled down. Now feel I can get my energy back.

Have been busy on the riding front too. Having enjoyed my ride on Billy, I've booked a 2 hour trek at the end of Sept and have also arranged to go for a stroll with my friend Hilda riding her little cob in a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to this and have splashed out on a new pair of Jodphurs and some chaps for the occasions. Think I'm back in the saddle - if only for a bit of gentle hacking.

Well, need to get on with other things now - so heres to a really effective weight loss period!

Take care all

PB
  • new82day
    new82day Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Getting moritvated for Monday and have just done a food plan - I wouldnt say it is excessively healthy stuff on it, but hey its a food plan and if it cuts out snacking between meals then it has served its purpose! Am also introducing my fasting on Tuesday and Friday next week.

Like the sound of the Christmas challenge - 20lb sounds very scary to me!!! Dare I say yes to 20lb or should I set my goals a little lower....decisions decisions! .....actually bearing in mind that I will gain weight over the weekend, then 20lb should be do-able so count me in, and also I am relying on you ladies to nag at me to keep me on track!!! 15 weeks of willpower is hard going for me!!

PB - Pleased you have started the swim challenge!

Bracken - Sounds hectic stuff, but 32 sounds appealing at the moment - we are at 10 today and I feel freezing!!!

Off I go now - car cleaning ready for weekend break on agenda for today, and may also go for a walk this afternoon, as Daisy is at her Nannys! (or as a second thought swimming????? will have to check out the timetable) xx
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Hi New8 and PB, I keep completely forgetting to write on here and end up writing an essay on the home page. The Christmas challenge PB is to lose 20lb by December 24th. I think I worked it out to 1and 1/4 lb a week for 15 weeks. I am also going to cut down on my alcohol intake. Which as I said is nothing compared to my Nursing days but is definitely hindering my weight loss. (Usually a bottle of wine on a Saturday and maybe 2 JD and coke light on Friday nights). So after spending all day Monday trying to find my dieting mojo I spent most of the time on MFP reading success stories and the forums for information and inspiration!! Hence the 20lb Challenge was born, lol x x
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello Crackers,

I wrote a really long post yesterday only for my internet connection to fail momentarily and I lost it. As I had to hare off to choir practice I didn't have time to redo it then and when I got home I had an urgent message from one of my friends' son saying he wanted to talk to me. He's 16 and he'd split up with his girlfriend. Love's young dream had died and he was quite upset. Needless to say I never got back on here.

I seem to have had a really hectic summer with endless visitors. The lack of routine has played havock with my eating habits and I've piled the weight back on. Time for all that to stop so I was very pleased to see your challenge BM. It seems as if we are all pretty much in the same boat apart from you MITM - you are our star and an example to us all that it can be done. I was up in Hertfordshire last week for my parents' diamond wedding anniversary. Definitely worth a party although just for a select few compared to the big bash they had for their 50th anniversary. I did all the food and organized the flowers and decorations and I also made and iced the cake and made the decorations for that. My Mother was thrilled with it so it was worth all the time-consuming effort. I must confess to having rather a lot of champagne but I managed to stay away from the cheese board. Before anyone congratulates me on that, I have to be honest and say it was probably only because I was full of cake and champagne lol. I had the most amazing surprize bouquet of flowers today. They were from my parents thanking me which was, of course, quite unnecessary, but they really are lovely flowers.

It was lovely to read your posts Bracken and hear about the lovely Nellie, your horse, your house and your chutnies. I have been busy making jams and things with the fruit from the garden - blackcurrants, redcurrants, strawberries and now apples and my autumn raspberries. I have spent all this afternoon peeling, coring and stewing apples. They are now tucked up in the freezer ready for use during the year ahead. I have another big pile of them to do tomorrow. It looks like there is a bumper crop of blackberries this year as well so I must get picking so I can make some blackberry and apple jam.

New8 - glad to hear you've had a fun summer with Daisy and I hope you enjoy your trip to Yorkshire. Very impressed that you have a food plan done for next week with your fasting days included.

BM - thanks for organizing the 20lb challenge. It is definitely something we can achieve. 7lbs a month is a very achievable target if we eat sensibly, log our intake, weigh and measure to be sure our portion control is correct and build in some daily exercise. What could be easier? I was at my lowest weight last August although interestingly, I was at my slimmest last Christmas after doing the 30 day shred. I think at some point between now and then I may have to shred again. I'll psych myself up gradually for that.

MITM - what do you think? Could you do the shred again with me sometime between now and Christmas? I hope you had a good trip to England although I expect you feel very bereft at coming home without your daughter. Big hug xx

Carole - glad you are getting your mojo back. Our swimming should really help shouldn't it?

I had my first Aspire Channel Swim yesterday and managed 2km - 6% of the total target! I plan to be in the pool again tomorrow morning for session 2. It's a long way lol!

Bracken your QOTW is an interesting one. I think there is something to be said for the 5:2 eating plan. While I was fasting properly I did manage to keep my weight stable albeit 1lb on and 1lb off. I wasn't eating well, but it helped. Once I stopped fasting properly, that was when I piled the weight on during August. I think for the 20lb challenge I will revert back to TD type eating and organize a food plan each week using some of the tried and tested recipes which I enjoyed so much when I first started TD. It worked then, so it will work again if I focus. I know it is really important to exercise too as I was most successful in my weight loss when I stuck to an eating plan and exercised regularly. I may however throw in some fast days, particularly if I have a slip up. It definitely helps me to have regular contact with you lovely Crackers so I hope we can pledge to post something on these message boards regularly to keep each other going.

Before I go, I finished my second knitting project and had a lovely day in Abergavenny a couple of weeks ago when I visited the wool shop to pick the wool and pattern for my next project. I have decided to knit a rather ambitious lacy scarf/wrap. It's in beautiful fine alpaca/merino wool yarn, sort of blackberry coloured and will definitely keep me out of mischief for quite some time! Here's a link to the pattern for anyone interested in seeing it.

www.knitrowan.com/designs-and-patterns/patterns/fragile-scarf-wrap

BM - did you ever finish those cushion covers?

Right, what a long ramble........I'm definitely off now.

Nos da I bawb
    xx
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Hi All

20lb by Christmas - should be doable - and would take me to my goal. Having said that I think the tricky bit will be December with so many things going on. Still I'm up for a challenge so will hopefully make it! Your on Bailey!

Thanks LMV for the donation - First session was OK except for the fact that the pool got busy and I was dodging people a lot of the time. Hopefully it will get easier later on in the week - hoping to do my second swim on Friday. What kind of choir do you sing with LMV? Are you a soprano?

I'm going for a ride on my friends young cob next Wednesday which I'm really looking forward to and I have a trek arranged for Sat 28th.

Everyone sounds as if they are getting back in the swing which is great.

Just at present for me its a bit of a slog. Work is taking its toll with a lot of complex issues and not enough hours in the day.

Had a lovely weekend though and its nearly Thursday. Hope the coming weekend will be similarly good. Then I have some friends arriving on Tuesday evening as they are going on a cruise from Harwich from Wed and are going to leave their car here so I'm taking them to Harwich - after we've eaten a good breakfast!

It was my Dad's birthday today and I sent him his birthday card by1st class post on Monday - it still hadn't arrived today which was somewhat annoying...... Still he had had a good birthday which considering he was 79 was not bad - alongside the COPD and emphysema.....

Well need to sign off now and go and take out my contacts.

Speak soon

Carole
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Good morning Crackers!

I have returned - alone!! Had a super busy 2 weeks settling my daughter in; so far so good, but I was still around and now I'm gone and only time will tell!

School didn't start until last Wednesday so we fitted in another trip to the Isle of Wight and the Needles, visting my Aunt - I love the sea and we were so lucky with the fantastic weather... plus we stayed overnight in London to use our tickets again from last year for Buckingham Palace. The Coronation outfits were on display this year, photos do not do the dresses justice they appear white but in realíty they are gold absolutely stunning, exquisite needlework and so small!!! The Queen wouldn't be able to squeeze herself back into this dress! We also visited St. Paul's I thought of you LMV sitting in a pew! We climbed to the very top squire, 85 metres and 528 steps the views of London made it all worthwhile! In fact over the 2 days in London, in total I did 46,000 steps according to my pedometer!!! I wore it daily and was most surprised to do over 10,000 every day.

Back again (I'm taking no chances losing this post!) however having scoffed more crisps, chocolates, biscuits and cakes in the last 2 weeks (I haven't said ice-cream!) than in the rest of the year combined, I'm surprised and delighted to still be at target having only gained 2 pounds.

BRACKEN - I'm so excited for you and and your journey ahead with the dress!!! I'm left in suspense - will you get into it, will you still like it, how many of the 90 days are left?!! From your description I like it too and like you I live in trousers. Keep us informed. My personal mission for the coming months; well having successfully manoeuvred a holiday, treating myself to everything in sight but not going over my target weight I want to remain in charge. This was how I originally maintained my weight for years dropping 2 pounds before a big celebration (Easter, Christmas, All Saints etc) enjoying it but not gaining weight. 'So having rediscovered the knack I'm going to attempt to lose 2lb before my next appearance in England in 6 weeks time.

BM - I'm loving the fighting talk! Keep looking at that Cracker dress when you feel like a drink or TWO! If the OH suddenly says do you fancy that cruise over Christmas what will your answer be this year?! I was in lovely Lymington and outside this quaint little handbag shop there was a notice with the days crossed off for Christmas shopping, I immediately thought of the 'Crackers'!

LMV - What a lovely, thoughtful lady you are! Thank you for the e-card it made me giggle. I don't think it's hit me yet that the daughter has gone as I've been so busy since returning and the husband is being a demanding child!!! At the weekend on Sunday, when he is working and I can't work in the garden I think I might suddenly realise.... Funny you mention the lovely Jillian as I had come to the same conclusion as you, although I weigh less, I was actually slimmer at 3lbs heavier when we did the 30 day shred!! How about we set a date for when I get back from England again? That would be the 4th November so you'll be in your Cracker dress for the coming Christmas party season or would you prefer after the Channel Swim starting in December? BRACKEN - fancy joining us? And in the meantime I am going to start salsacising again, NEW8 I use the Slim & Salsacise, section 1step it out, it's long enough to make a difference!

PB - If you're maintaining your weight you're winning the battle! I'm so impressed with both you and LMV doing the Channel Swim. I've worked out you're getting the grand sum of 22 pence a mile from me whilst poor LMV only gets 22 cent a mile as I pressed euros by mistake - so my generosity overwhelmes me!!! However keep going.

NEW8 - I'm pleased to hear the job is going well, enjoy your break. Are you still attending zumba classes?

Well Crackers I have written enough to make up for my absence in the last 2 weeks! I have a garden calling, shouting for me. We had our first snow of the season on the top of the mountains yesterday which sent shivers down my body as I realised how much work there is yet to do. Oh and I wish BRACKEN was a neighbour as I'd love some of her chutney!

Be good CRACKERS!!
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Hi MITM, So lovely to have you back!! Sounds like you had a fab time in the UK. Like you I find that OH can sometimes be more demanding than when my 3 were small! lol x (I also find keeping busy helps stop me thinking too much of home and my children).
    I would say it's a shame you can't be in our Christmas challenge, but it's absolutely brilliant that you don't need to be! lol x I must have been in the UK when the swimming challenge started and I see now you have sponsored LMV and PB, can you please tell me how I go about this? thanks. x x
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello all Crackers. It's terrific to find you logging in and hear such interesting and thoughtful accounts of what you have been doing and what you plan to do. I am still living in the renovation chaos- it's like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic! I have my bedroom basically back in order and did manage to curate my books so that now I have a little more shelf room to get- more books. Some I am giving to a charity shop and others I am taking to a used book store to see if they can be resold, not especially for the money, but because they are more specialized and I hope might be found by some university students who could use them. There are still so many I just could never part with and of course, it took a lot of time putting them back as I was leafing through so many. This weekend the livingroom floor is being done so now having emptied that room will have to be emptied, and some things will have to go into the bedroom and the den! Because closets will not have the trim put on until the weekend I am unable to completely refit those rooms. We have ended our recent hot spell (a record of 34.6C on Tues.) with a huge thunderstorm last night which has cleared the air. B.M., I really like the 20 pound challenge- it is great to have a common goal. I'm in. One significant change I've made recently is to get and on the scales everyday (for the past 10 days), something I have never done before. My thought was that I had to try something different. The scales have always been an issue for me ( I need to read Beck's chapter on the scales as I know she has one). I am now 5 pounds from my best TD weight. LMV, I would like to join you and MITM, doing Jillian- mine is not the 30 day Shred but I do have two of her DVD's. I'll plan to start them next week, after the dust, literally, clears from the reno. There is so much I'd like to say after reading your posts but I really must get to this housework.
    Back soon. Regards.
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Hi Bracken, you must be burning up so many calories moving your books and furniture around so much!! Hope it's not too stressful for you. Brilliant news you are on board for the 20lb. We can do it! As for weighing everyday, I firmly believe in it. It works for me although I realise it's not for everybody. I find it beneficial in so many ways, if I have lost even a tiny bit it encourages me to continue and if I gain a tiny bit it motivates me to do better the next day. Even when it shows quite a large gain ie over a pound I know it must be just temporary as it is difficult to eat 3600 cals over in a day! It has also helped me understand how my body is with certain foods.eg soy is used so much here and I realise now if I eat it in the evening chances are I will retain water and have a weight gain the next day. Also pasta bloats me (I just love it though!) so I know my weight takes a day or two to recover after eating it. I seem to be going through a burst of willpower at the moment so I am enjoying the healthy eating, fingers crossed for a loss on Saturday, I already know I have lost some because of my daily WI's. (No doubt mostly water this week!). Hope your weather cools for you now, it was 39c here today so I really do empathise with you! We are heading into Monsoon season which means the Celsius drops a little but the humidity becomes unbearable. Here we go again! Hope Nellie wasn't too scared during the thunderstorm, have a good day, BM x x
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    HI All and welcome back MITM. Thanks for the donation (most kind) Bailey! YOu are all sounding very energetic now that summer is over which is great! MITM I can't imagine how hard it is to send your child away to school - I have no children of my own but I can imagine what I would feel like if someone that I cared so much about was far away - its always that feeling of being able to be there whatever happens that freaks me out.

Yesterday I wore a new suit. Its a size 18 which is the smallest I've been in 30 years. Its a beautiful suit but the most amazing thing about it is that I picked it up for £10 at a car boot sale. It was brand new (still had the price tags and spare buttons bag attached) so I couldn't really believe it (I'm not really a car boot sale kind of person - I find shopping quite tedious, but on this occasion it was parenthesised by a lovely walk through a wood and back so was bearable). Its a linen but quite heavy and is a 3 piece. I will need at least one more suit but it is so difficult to consider buying a suit when I think I'm going to lose at least another size.

46000 steps in four days is amazing. I haven't been wearing my pedometer lately - but perhaps I should. will be starting to do Nordic walks again soon (haven't bothered in the hot weather - too sticky) - but I think my highest count was about 15000 in a day. Will have to see if I can increase it again - may be going for a walk after work. The weather is set to be wet and windy here over the weekend which is actually good as I hope that will motivate me to do some cleaning and tidying. (housework? can I think of anything more interesting to do? OOOHHH YES!)

So its swim number two tonight after work. Will let you all know how I get on!

Take care and resist Crackers!

PB
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Morning Crackers,

Hello MITM, so lovely to have you back but in the nicest possible way it's rather annoying that you've been away and haven't piled the pounds on - I've managed to do it without even being away lol!! But joking aside, it is very motivating to see how well you are controlling your weight and I can learn a lot from you. November 4 for the start of the Shred sounds good to me. Unless I suffer some kind of injury I'm pretty sure the swim will be done and dusted by then. I'm definitely someone who responds well to a challenge as I've got the bit between my teeth on the swimming front, at the moment I want to be in that pool every day getting another mile done. I've done 4.7 miles since Monday and am 21% of the way across the channel now. Bracken, great to hear that you want to do your own version of the Shred too. Does 4 November for the start suit you? One thing I take issue with MITM is your use of the adjective "lovely" in relation to Jillian. "Lovely" is reserved for Rosemary and her salsasizing!, Jillian is a tough cookie and what she gets us doing is effective, but she's definitely not lovely!!! To me it's the lovely Rosemary and the cruel Jillian!

I'm glad to hear the daughter is settling in well. Let's hope it continues. I think perhaps you had better line up lots of things to do on Sunday - a workout with Jillian and Rosemary, a trek up one of your fantastic mountains to enjoy the view, a good film ready to watch.........if you plan to keep yourself occupied, hopefully you won't notice quite how much you are missing your daughter.

Bracken I love the sound of your dress too. Can we see it online anywhere? The renovations sound grand and I'm sure you'll be delighted with the results. It is a good opportunity to have a bit of a clear out isn't it. We still have things in boxes in an outbuilding from when we had to pack the house up when we had the extension done. The boxes have been there 2 years now so the chances are we won't use anything that's in them. Occasionally we go and have a root through them to find something we've remembered about and want, but really we should ditch them. Sorting them out just never quite gets to the top of the 'to do' list. I know that we have several boxes full of books, and like you, I never used to like getting rid of books. They do take up so much space though and I know I won't read most of them again so I'm going to get rid of them.

BM, it was very interesting to read about your new approach to weighing yourself. I had never thought about using the scales as a tool to analyse how my body reacts to the foods I have been eating. I'm very much a once-a-week weigh in sort of person, but perhaps I should try it.

PB - what a bargain your suit was. What colour is it? Transition clothing is difficult as you don't want to spend a lot of money on clothes which will only fit you for a short time.

I had a lovely evening last night. It was a WI Link meeting where 3 local WI's join together and the host WI organizes an "event". It was an African evening and someone from a local African drum troupe came and taught us to play the drums. There were about 40 of us and sufficient drums for us all to have one. He taught us about the different rhythms in African music and some of the "calls" ie drum patterns from the leader which are instructions to the rest of us on what to do eg speed up, stop, start, echo and respond. It was fascinating and we actually made a really good sound as a group. It was a lot of fun and so interesting to learn about it. I reckon I burned a few calories too!!

We're probably off to the caravan this afternoon for the week-end so I'll be out of contact unless we end up in a café somewhere that has Wi-Fi.

Be good all and have a great week-end.

xx
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    As you would, when out for a nice walk, on a Sunday morning, I popped into the local lingerie shop - Sweet Dreams - yesterday to get measured properly. VERY INTERESTING! First of all I've been wearing the wrong bra - and wow what a difference it makes to put on the right size. Then I tried on a pair of Size 14! knickers and they fitted. This came about because they matched the bra I was trying on and she only had a size 14. Amazing. Nice to have some sexy underwear instead of the usual M&S bikinis.

The walk was lovely. As the weather man had predicted we would be drowned in water we were a little surprised to wake up to a beautiful, bright and sunny morning with just a light breeze - so we went for a walk along the river bank and back through town with a stop off at the caff for a quick cup of instant coffee. Thoroughly enjoyed it - however now my plantar fasciitis is very painful.

Also emptied the wardrobe of the majority of my summer wear leaving me with a very small wardrobe for the winter. Need some new tops. Have four suits that will probably take me through the winter - but may only take me up to Xmas if I lose the 20lbs that I've gone for. Will certainly need more new underwear too.

Went to a very silly quiz on Sat night at a village hall in aid of Help for Heroes. Our team won!

All in all a very pleasant weekend. Now back to work.......

PB
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Congrats on the tiny knickers! lol x sounds like you had a lovely weekend x x
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Evening Crackers!

I'm going to confess all... I have been indulging correction I've been over-indulging in emotional eating. So much so, I've managed to gain 3 pounds in a week. However I have faced the scales this morning and I'm not going to hide any longer behind a wall of calories - I am missing my daughter but stuffing my face is not going to help! Late last night I reread Beck's chapter on emotional eating and I feel ready to get on with coping and shifting the pounds again.

I'm fortunate it wasn't more as one I didn't have anything 'nice' in the house and secondly the husband had me working hard in the garden Saturday. And today I have finished cutting the grass so I've had a good work out. I was feeling very sorry for myself yesterday but today I feel plain silly. What is the point of going away and not gaining weight only to come home and eat a load of rubbish and not even enjoy it?!!! I feel I may need to read another of Beck's chapters but I'm in the all important dieting zone again.

PB - fantastic news about the size 14 knickers!