Vegan, Gluten free, AND Soy free people?

Options
lemonmon1
lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
I'm working on cutting out gluten and soy (after I consume what's in the house), and my husband has just gone GF and SF after some bloodwork came back. Will we ever be sble to go out to eat anywhere except Indian restaurants? I'd also love any GF+SF tips, recipes, and friends with shared diaries! Anyone out there??

Replies

• kickstartpro
    kickstartpro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think I am headed in this direction. I also try to avoid unnatural sugars and processed foods. How is it going for you? I still eat tofu but I am not sure how good it is for me health wise so I have been thinking of only eating fermented tofu. I have yet to try it though.
  • kickstartpro
    Options
    my skin breaks out in rashes and i think it may be related to the tofu so i might have to cut that out of my diet.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do eat soy but most my meals are GF and Vegan open diary if you want a peak ... eating out can be a challenge...
  • kickstartpro
    Options
    just figured out that nutritional yeast is what im allergic to :( darn it, cuz i liked that stuff! oh, well. yes, eating out is more difficult but i get things like spring rolls with tofu or curry with rice...
  • Papayamaya5
    Papayamaya5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% vegan and nut-free with a non-celiac gluten sensitivity so I'm trying to completely avoid gluten (some days are better than others!) There's an incredible vegan restaurant near my house that I love ... organic corn tortillas filled with sweet potato and black bean topped with lime slaw and vegan sour cream ... or roasted vegetables over quinoa with a vegan garlic aioli

I get inspiration from looking at menus from vegan restaurants so my advice is to get creative!

Feel free to add me ;]
  • LilaLavender
    Options
    Vegan/GF myself :)

Spent the last year or so trying to lower how much soy I was eating - it was a lot harder than I had thought it would be especially if every meal contains some variation of it, processed soy this & that. Who wants to live on tofu?! Only tip I have is pick the one soy product you cannot live without - and after awhile you realize it's been 6+ months since you last ate it! I actually became a vegan because I lost interest in how dairy made me feel health-wise (& various other reasons) and then the same happened with soy.

Mexican food has to be my guilty food pleasure, rice, black beans, guacamole, tacos - so much corn :/ But it makes it easy when you're out and you're sick of noodles/curry/salad bars etc. Though I tend not to eat out, since discovering I'm gluten intolerant I enjoy cooking more than ever. (Been a vegetarian since birth, vegan a year roughly) I adapted a gluten free pizza base from 'Gluten-Free-Vegan-Girl's blog, she's fond of simple ingredients, her breads in general are amazingly easy to make and taste like real food. The GF breads in health food stores just taste like sugar or are under the misguided impression that being A lot-of-things-free means you've lost your ability to taste. Plus they're all generally made with eggs, boo.

I saw on your profile you've been a vegan for awhile now - being gluten free isn't that much of a change, it's just about finding other grains! Quinoa, Amaranth, Millet, Buckwheat (my favorite) oh but be wary of rice, it tended to fill a void for pasta for me at first!

Homemade shepherd's pie with grilled peppers, vegs & puy lentils is another fave of mine to make.

Hope any of this helps! Sorry if I rambled on - first time posting :)

Link to the pizza base - http://www.gluten-free-vegan-girl.com/2012/10/basic-whole-grain-pizza-dough.html
  • LynFaith
    LynFaith Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Anyone still out there who wants to talk recipes?
  • DrVeggie
    DrVeggie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It depends where you live. Check out the "HappyCow" App to find locations of restaurants that cater to vegans in your area. Then ask for gluten free options when you get there. I eat out all the time, but I live in NYC where there are a lot of choices.
  • rosieposiesrl
    rosieposiesrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm GF & Soy-free Vegan. If anyone wants to add me as a friend!