Spartans doing the Tunnel to Tower 5k?

Options
GorillaNJ
GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
1011518_694502263913196_4576531_n.jpg

Any interest in signing up for this run?

I have done this run the last two last years and it is an amazing day. A quick explanation is the race memorializes Stephen Siller, a NYC fireman who was just getting home from his shift heard about the first plane hitting the trade center he started to rush there from Brooklyn. Found out no traffic was aloud through the Brooklyn Battery tunnel, so in full gear he ran the length of the tunnel and ended up dying a hero saving people in the tower.

This run started as a fund raiser for the fallen public servants children college funds... and has grown from there. Now a lot of the money goes to building homes for soldiers returning from war who have lost multiple limbs and need specialized things for that.

The run follows his path through the tunnel to the WTC site...

Many firemen run it full gear, lots of groups of soldiers and police run it too, but the most inspirational of all are the wounded warriors who complete the run with artificial limbs... Going through the tunnel is slow pace but it amazing... chants and encouragement... when you get out of the tunnel there are firemen and police in full dress holding banners of those who died on 9-11. Somewhere around 40k people ran it last year. It is quite an experience and there is a large after party in battery park city.

I plan to run it again this year, hope some of you come and check it out too! I did get to meet Captain Apollo there last year, it would be cool if some of us met up again this year since it is right in our back yard.

Replies